Interesting story about Fitz and Hump

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
lol. This shouldn't be shocking to people. I wouldn't ever call Fitz a mentor and a lot of NFL dudes aren't. Their idea of leadership is being an example and if you don't pick that up, they don't have much time for you.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
lol. This shouldn't be shocking to people. I wouldn't ever call Fitz a mentor and a lot of NFL dudes aren't. Their idea of leadership is being an example and if you don't pick that up, they don't have much time for you.

One of the alarming things we heard from the Arians regime, was that the concept that coaches can sit there and teach a ton of technique just isn't true in the NFL. They just don't have the time to do that with so many guys and all of the game plan installs they have to work on.

That means development is largely on the players to get better.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yup it’s why I laugh every time someone says we need Fitz to stay for his “leadership”

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
yup it’s why I laugh every time someone says we need Fitz to stay for his “leadership”

As others have said, it's not vocal leadership they are talking about. It's leadership in the sense of showing others by example how to conduct themselves like professionals. Work ethic on and off the field. How to train, take care of your body, etc...
I think I heard similar stories of Jerry Rice. It wasn't just about being a vocal "rah, rah" guy. It's was the young guys seeing how they went about their day to day activities.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
One of the alarming things we heard from the Arians regime, was that the concept that coaches can sit there and teach a ton of technique just isn't true in the NFL. They just don't have the time to do that with so many guys and all of the game plan installs they have to work on.

That means development is largely on the players to get better.
This is really true. For guys who are blessed with the requisite amount of athleticism the NFL requires, work ethic is the great separator. The grinders are the ones who end up being great. The hard workers become vested. The guys who punch the clock are the ones who struggle to stick too long unless they freakiest athletes among other freak athletes.

It is why teams put so many resources into finding athletic guys they don't have to babysit or spoon feed. Do you show up early for work day 1? Do you take all of the mental reps to accentuate your physical ones? Do you study and lock the mental side of the game so you know what you are supposed to do and why? In some aspects, the athletic tools are the easiest things to identify.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As others have said, it's not vocal leadership they are talking about. It's leadership in the sense of showing others by example how to conduct themselves like professionals. Work ethic on and off the field. How to train, take care of your body, etc...
I think I heard similar stories of Jerry Rice. It wasn't just about being a vocal "rah, rah" guy. It's was the young guys seeing how they went about their day to day activities.

Is completely ignoring someone for over a year a way to show someone how to be a professional?

it’s a completely and totally overrated reason to keep him around and it’s overused and thrown out too often on here.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
And that is why "leadership by example" is so cliche. You ultimately aren't really doing anything. You aren't invested in the other person's success. You aren't sacrificing to help them be successful. You are just going about your business and are maybe willing to answer questions if asked.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
x10 at the QB position

a very common complaint about the time rules between NFL and NFLPA is that it hurts QB development

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I mean, I think he is a great role model for any young player if they follow how he prepares for the season and prepares for games, but the reality is, Fitz has told us dozens of guys were going to be good that ended up sucking. I think a lot of us have overrated his leadership ability over the years.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In a follow up to this Hump spoke about how he received an undrafted grade from the draft committee because he was 275lb at Florida. He went to camp before the combine and showed up at 307lb. Suddenly he was getting 1st round talk.

When he got OTA's with the Cards they wanted him to play right tackle because Bobby Massie was suspended the first 2 games due to his DUI. It was a chance for him to claim the RT spot permanently but he said "Hell naw, I'm an LT. I been practicing LT all off season" and Earl Watford ended playing RT the first 2 games.

That's why Fitz didn't speak to him. He turn up to camp with an attitude.

There are different ways to lead and I feel like some are confusing teaching with leading. It's not Fitz's job to put his arm around Hump and say "do it like this". Hump was a grown ass man.

Leaders lead by example which is what Fitz does.

Last edited:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In a follow up to this Hump spoke about how he received an undrafted grade from the draft committee because he was 275lb at Ole Miss. He went to camp before the combine and showed up at 307lb. Suddenly he was getting 1st round talk.

When he got OTA's with the Cards they wanted him to play right tackle because Bobby Massie was suspended the first 2 games due to his DUI. It was a chance for him to claim the RT spot permanently but he said "Hell naw, I'm an LT. I been practicing LT all off season" and Earl Watford ended playing RT the first 2 games.

There are different ways to lead and I feel like some are confusing teaching with leading. It's not Fitz's job to put his arm around Hump and say "do it like this". Hump was a grown ass man.

Florida.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
In a follow up to this Hump spoke about how he received an undrafted grade from the draft committee because he was 275lb at Florida. He went to camp before the combine and showed up at 307lb. Suddenly he was getting 1st round talk.

No, part of what a true leader does is lead by example. But if that’s all they do, they aren’t a leader. What you’re talking about is called doing your job. You’re paid to do that. Doing it well isn’t leadership. It’s just being a high performer. People mistake being good at your job with leadership all the time and they are not the same.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, part of what a true leader does is lead by example. But if that’s all they do, they aren’t a leader. What you’re talking about is called doing your job. You’re paid to do that. Doing it well isn’t leadership. It’s just being a high performer. People mistake being good at your job with leadership all the time and they are not the same.

100%

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Further proof that DJ wasn't "bullied" or "picked on" by Arians. He came in as a rookie, was totally unprepared to play, did not show himself to be a quick learner, and apparently had an attitude. He earned the nickname Knee Deep.

I'm glad he put together 2 years of good LT play...but his entire "leadership" style better be "Don't do what I did...I really screwed up my rookie contract and was considered a bust!"

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Fitzgerald mentoring thing is a bit overrated, but surely he cares about the franchise
The fact a first round rookie didn't put much effort at all in his first season very likely pissed him off
Fitz is not a primadonna, isn't the guy who can yell at you or calling u out but if he didn't talk to him was his best response to push him to work better

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Fitz and Humphrires probably didn't have any contact with each other. Different rooms, units, coaches.

How is Fitz going to tell Humphries how to do his job? He never did it. He's going to walk out of his meetings, down the hall, kick in the door of the OL room and push the coaches working with DJ out of the way and say "son, here's how you kick slide and set your hips"

All he can do to be a mentor is show up, do his own job, give top effort and show respect to coaches, refs, and opponents along with his own team. That's mentorship. DJ has a swarm of coaches around him for technique.

Really, Fitz was a Hall of Famer already, and here was a rookie who wasn't giving premiere effort. It's DJ's job to go to Fitz at that point, not the other way around.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Bolded for emphasis

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the Fitzgerald mentoring thing is a bit overrated, but surely he cares about the franchise
The fact a first round rookie didn't put much effort at all in his first season very likely pissed him off
Fitz is not a primadonna, isn't the guy who can yell at you or calling u out but if he didn't talk to him was his best response to push him to work better
Sorry ignoring a young player is not leadership. No matter the circumstances. Fitz was a shining example of professionalism for others to point to, or for others to emulate. But that’s not leadership.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose