I Won't Hear a Bad Word About Kyler Murray

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The criticism that Simms has about the Cardinals is the same thing I used to say about Russell Wilson...his running around is unsustainable.

Simms just doesn't like giving the Cardinals any credit.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Murray’s a baller. He’s constantly getting ripped apart on this board and that’s fair but he hasn’t come close to reaching his potential. People are entitled to their opinions and they certainly have the right to critique his play/point out his flaws but there’s a lot more good than bad when it comes to Kyler.
Patrick Mahomes has created some unrealistic expectations for young QB’s.

I think that's unfair. My minimal expectation for a QB, especially one that's the #1 pick, is that they can throw an accurate ball consistently and make throws to open guys. Kyler simply hasn't done that in at least half our games.

Yes he was much better vs the Seahawks, but then just the week before he was really bad vs Dallas. And he still had a bad pick that could have been costly due to bad mechanics.

I don't think anyone has said Kyler is bad, or they don't see him as our QB. Just that he needs to fix his passing issues, which Kyler has said himself.

Last edited:

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
I think that's unfair. My minimal expectation for a QB, especially one that's the #1 pick, is that they can throw an accurate ball consistently and make throws to open guys. Kyler simply hasn't done that in at least half our games.

Yes he was much better vs the Seahawks, but then just the week before he was really bad vs Dallas. And he still had a bad pick that could have been costly due to bad mechanics.

I don't think anyone has said Kyler his bad, or they don't see him as our QB. Just that he needs to fix his passing issues, which Kyler has said himself.

Hasn’t come close to reaching his potential= he has things to fix.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Worse than last year = things to fix

Hey Britt I know you’ve only been watching football for eight years but could you give me some examples of guys who were finished products in their second year? You’re really good with statistics so it should be easy for you to find.

Now that’s unfair

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey Britt I know you’ve only been watching football for eight years but could you give me some examples of guys who were finished products in their second year? You’re really good with statistics so it should be easy for you to find.

Now that’s unfair

I don't expect him to be the finished product. Where have I said that?

I expect him to be better than last year. That's all. Not worse.

He is a better player. He's learned to other aspects of the game, including his running, which have made him great to watch, but as a thrower he hasn't improved and has gone backwards in some areas. It's not like I'm making it up, it's been widely discussed by practically every NFL show and Kyler, Kliff, and Keim.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He is a better player. He's learned to other aspects of the game, including his running, which have made him great to watch, but as a thrower he hasn't improved and has gone backwards in some areas. It's not like I'm making it up, it's been widely discussed by practically every NFL show and Kyler, Kliff, and Keim.

I'll throw this out I don't think he is worse, I think you expected him to make a leap as a passer that he hasn't made, in part due to the unusual offseason, and so you think he's worse

His % is higher, his YPA is higher, his TD's are higher on a pace for I think 28 had 20 TD's last year. More int's but then remember he started with INT's last year and then cut them back the 2nd half. Sacks are way down. He's not putting us in those big holes nearly as often as last year with the sacks.

he's still missing throws or not seeing them, we all agree on that, but I think he did that last year too. the improvement as a runner is just obvious, already topped last year TD wise, much stronger not falling over at first bump etc. As a result he's dramatically better in the redzone which has been huge for us this year. He's a much better runner this year, he's an improved passer largely because he has much better pocket presence. He still at times reacts to pressure when he doesn't need to, he has lots of things to work on but I don't think its' accurate to say he's not as good a passer as he was last year

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll throw this out I don't think he is worse, I think you expected him to make a leap as a passer that he hasn't made, in part due to the unusual offseason, and so you think he's worse

His % is higher, his YPA is higher, his TD's are higher on a pace for I think 28 had 20 TD's last year. More int's but then remember he started with INT's last year and then cut them back the 2nd half. Sacks are way down. He's not putting us in those big holes nearly as often as last year with the sacks.

he's still missing throws or not seeing them, we all agree on that, but I think he did that last year too. the improvement as a runner is just obvious, already topped last year TD wise, much stronger not falling over at first bump etc. As a result he's dramatically better in the redzone which has been huge for us this year. He's a much better runner this year, he's an improved passer largely because he has much better pocket presence. He still at times reacts to pressure when he doesn't need to, he has lots of things to work on but I don't think its' accurate to say he's not as good a passer as he was last year

Yes, everyone was expecting him to make a leap and in many areas he has, I just said that. But he has still gone backwards as a passer. He's missed wide open guys several times, either just not seen them or sailed passes or thrown them into the dirt. He only has 2 games out of 7 where he hasn't thrown an INT. He has nearly twice as many INT's through 7 games this year than he did through 7 last year. And that's against some of the weakest passing defenses in the league in the easiest part of our schedule.

He improved against the Seahawks for sure, but then he also had probably his worst game ever just the week before against one of the worst defenses in the league.

I'm not expecting miracles from the kid. I'm happy with many of the ways he has progressed. I just didn't expect his throwing to regress, even slightly.

It's not always his actual throws, it's the throws he doesn't make. This is Sunday. We won so it's not such a big deal but it is.

This is the 4th down after Budda was run down by DK. We are about to turn it over on downs anyway so he has a free pass here, and INT doesn't matter as long as it isn't sixable.

First he turns down a wide open Kirk in the EZ. Don't say the DB is going to jump it because he doesn't and there's all kind of time before this image was taken for the ball to be arriving at Kirk as this shot is taken. Kyler is staring right at it but doesn't take it. That's an easy TD.

You must be registered for see images attach

Then he runs around a bit and eventually just floats something up in hope that lands nowhere. But before that happens he has Nuk wide open in the EZ, again looking right at him but still doesn't throw it.

Both times the receivers are there waving their arms shouting "HELLOOOOOO, OVER HERE". I', not sure what more Kyler wants.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brit, my biggest gripe with KM last year was all the sacks he took that were his fault. This year the difference is night and day, imo. He's made BIG strides in his second year.

Not denying he hasn't. Ive only talked about his passing.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I think he got a lot better actually.

His pocket presence in regards pocket manipulation and avoiding defenders has improved.

He has improved using his eyes to manipulate safeties.

His football awareness went to a different level this year.

Even his anticipation has gotten more consistent.

I think missed reads are over blown, Every qb misses reads.

Pretty sure Wilson missed a few reads as well.

Last edited:

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Britt, this isn't hard. Last year Kliff protected Kyler. made him run the training wheels version of the offense.

this year its full go. Yards per attempt way up. Same with designed runs for Kyler. Much easier to drive a car at 70 KMH vs 100 KMH. (I even went metric for ya :D)

Kyler will look erratic at times driving this offense at 100 KMH. that being said, his passing % is up. his YPA is up. and yes, INTS are up.

He's progressed as a passer and definitely improved vs last year. This offense should be a well oiled machine next year or late this year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, everyone was expecting him to make a leap and in many areas he has, I just said that. But he has still gone backwards as a passer. He's missed wide open guys several times, either just not seen them or sailed passes or thrown them into the dirt. He only has 2 games out of 7 where he hasn't thrown an INT. He has nearly twice as many INT's through 7 games this year than he did through 7 last year. And that's against some of the weakest passing defenses in the league in the easiest part of our schedule.

He improved against the Seahawks for sure, but then he also had probably his worst game ever just the week before against one of the worst defenses in the league.

I'm not expecting miracles from the kid. I'm happy with many of the ways he has progressed. I just didn't expect his throwing to regress, even slightly.

It's not always his actual throws, it's the throws he doesn't make. This is Sunday. We won so it's not such a big deal but it is.

This is the 4th down after Budda was run down by DK. We are about to turn it over on downs anyway so he has a free pass here, and INT doesn't matter as long as it isn't sixable.

First he turns down a wide open Kirk in the EZ. Don't say the DB is going to jump it because he doesn't and there's all kind of time before this image was taken for the ball to be arriving at Kirk as this shot is taken. Kyler is staring right at it but doesn't take it. That's an easy TD.

Then he runs around a bit and eventually just floats something up in hope that lands nowhere. But before that happens he has Nuk wide open in the EZ, again looking right at him but still doesn't throw it.

Both times the receivers are there waving their arms shouting "HELLOOOOOO, OVER HERE". I', not sure what more Kyler wants.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Wow you throw out an objective as argument that Kyler is better as a passer and he just throws out "Naw he isn't".

It's like arguing with a brick wall. Similar to arguing on Humphries, where it was 1) demonstrated he gave up only 2 sacks based on a source he likes until he doesn't 2) demonstrated that the Cardinals averaged significantly more rushing yard average on the left side as opposed to other parts of the formation.

Murray is literally better in EVERY category and he won't accept it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I actually don't consider Kirk wide open. Can you get a ball in there sure but there's actually 3 defenders there, the one on Kirk's right on his left and the one covering Hopkins. It's not a wow you can't make that throw but it's not "wide open." During the game I thought man Hop is open, but kyler at the point you freeze it is 20 yards away from him and moving backwards that's a LONG throw across the body, the kind that can get jumped for a picksix and we don't have Dk Metcalf.

Of the 2 I'd say not throwing to Kirk was worse but honestly watching it during the game I thought he should have thrown it to Fitz in the right, put it up high and let him make a play.

Where I'm disagreeing with you is he wouldn't have made that throw last year either.

I never played QB but I played PG in HS, the number of times I had guys tell me they were wide open and then after the game we'd watch film of it, 80's so actual film, and you could see what I was was seeing and they're not nearly as wide open as they think they were

I see your point it's 4th down so unless it's a picksix a pick is ok but that's why I say if he's going to force one, force it to Fitz he's the only guy at the point of the first pic who doesn't have 2 defenders. Kirk has 2 plus D Hop's guy is there, Dhop has his man plus a LB sitting in front of him. Fitz is further away but just one defender, put that up towards the corner and let him outjump the guy would be my choice.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing to add I think it's fine to point out plays he misses, but you gotta also credit plays he makes. There's a play in there where he was dead to rights in the end zone for a safety, got out of it and ran for about 5 yards. We can argue he held the ball too long and that the almost safety part is related to that but we scored a TD on that drive, lots of QB's that is either a safety or throway and then it's 3rd and 10 from our 7 yard line. I had ESPN on Mon morning and the analyst guy was talking about that play and he said you have no idea how demoralizing that is for a defense.

So I think some of the things he misses are offset