I Am Legend

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Neville was NOT involved with creating the virus. He stated several times quite clearly why he was staying. He was put in charge of the relief effort as the top scientist and the first scientist on site. NYC was ground zero. Several times he reiterated that NYC was ground zero, and he had to be at ground zero in order to work on the cure. THAT is why he was so insistent on staying.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neville was NOT involved with creating the virus. He stated several times quite clearly why he was staying. He was put in charge of the relief effort as the top scientist and the first scientist on site. NYC was ground zero. Several times he reiterated that NYC was ground zero, and he had to be at ground zero in order to work on the cure. THAT is why he was so insistent on staying.

Ok. But that doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't involved in its design. But if that's the way you want it, s'ok with me...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Ok. But that doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't involved in its design. But if that's the way you want it, s'ok with me...

I dunno...I guess that's just the way it is, unless you want to draw extra conclusions from the film. Nothing says he was, and his rationale for staying was provided. Neither I nor anyone else I know who's seen it has even had the thought occur to us. I mean, it's not important in the grand scheme of things, but I had never even heard the theory until this thread.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno...I guess that's just the way it is, unless you want to draw extra conclusions from the film. Nothing says he was, and his rationale for staying was provided. Neither I nor anyone else I know who's seen it has even had the thought occur to us. I mean, it's not important in the grand scheme of things, but I had never even heard the theory until this thread.

We had a bit of an entourage when I saw it, and we all felt that his ownership of the issue (strong "I can fix this" several times) indicated something more. But ultimately, is doesn't make any difference in the film.... Just stuff for thought and fun discussion.... ;)

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Neville was a military man. He would not have been invloved with finding a cure for cancer. That and there was a picture of him on the wall in his house in a Time magazine artcile I think that said "Can HE save us". That would not have been written for a guy who helped creat the virus. That would only have been written by a guy who came into the picture after the fact.

He took ownership of it becuase he saw his wife and kid die in front of his eyes becuase of it. He thought at the time he was the onyl one in the world left to take ownership of it. That and he just spent years all alone with no human contact and a dead dog that was his only companionship. Of course he took ownership for it. Not only that but he is a military man and NYC was his responsibility, so of course as a military man you are taught not to leave your post. It is military training at its finest. You are taught to complete your mission until it is complete or until mission objectives change via your superiors.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
We had a bit of an entourage when I saw it, and we all felt that his ownership of the issue (strong "I can fix this" several times) indicated something more. But ultimately, is doesn't make any difference in the film.... Just stuff for thought and fun discussion.... ;)
I think that the "ownership" that he was taking was from the fact that he couldn't find the cure.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While the movie was good.. Except.. Seemed to be a big void in it.. Why did the zombie (that he was treating) in the basement suddenly take to the antidotes? Seemed to be a thing of convience to make the movie end.. I got more intrigued on his formulas to cure them.. But right when she (the human with Ethan) showed up, it was all good.. Way too fast.. Maybe some of the story was left on the cutting room floor..??

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
While the movie was good.. Except.. Seemed to be a big void in it.. Why did the zombie (that he was treating) in the basement suddenly take to the antidotes? Seemed to be a thing of convience to make the movie end.. I got more intrigued on his formulas to cure them.. But right when she (the human with Ethan) showed up, it was all good.. Way too fast.. Maybe some of the story was left on the cutting room floor..??

You're probably right but the female responded to the anti-bodies due to him lowering her body temperature.

Bob Chebat

The Silencer!
Reaction score
I think this movie was portrayed as being more scary than it really was. I can't decide if I really liked it or not. Will Smith was convincing in his portrayal of a man going insane from being alone, but aside from that, too much about suspense and not enough about anything else. They needed a magic turtle.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this movie was portrayed as being more scary than it really was. I can't decide if I really liked it or not. Will Smith was convincing in his portrayal of a man going insane from being alone, but aside from that, too much about suspense and not enough about anything else. They needed a magic turtle.

Gamera????

You must be registered for see images

Gamera no hurt us.... He our friend!!!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He found the guy responsible and it turns out he was the old man who ran the amusement park.

He would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling kids.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He made friends with the vampires after realizing they weren't so different afterall.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Fill in the alternate endingless! What happened?

The head hemocyte that he had the showdown with during the film, starts banging the glass and Will Smith recalls is boy talking about a butterfly.

His test subject was a woman who had a butterfly tattoo. He puts two and two together and realizes the hemocyte wants the woman.

Will Smith opens the door and carries her out. The hemocyte guy gets all "emotional". The others start growling and look like they are going to attack Will Smith. The head hemocyte warns them off.

Will Smith gives the woman a shot and she awakens. The head hemocyte, her, and the rest of the gang leave.

Will Smith, human woman, and child drive off to the camp.

That's about it in a nutshell. Tense moments with Will opening the door and confronting the group.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The head hemocyte that he had the showdown with during the film, starts banging the glass and Will Smith recalls is boy talking about a butterfly.

His test subject was a woman who had a butterfly tattoo. He puts two and two together and realizes the hemocyte wants the woman.

Will Smith opens the door and carries her out. The hemocyte guy gets all "emotional". The others start growling and look like they are going to attack Will Smith. The head hemocyte warns them off.

Will Smith gives the woman a shot and she awakens. The head hemocyte, her, and the rest of the gang leave.

That's about it in a nutshell. Tense moments with Will opening the door and confronting the group.

Interesting. As the movie was developing that's the way I guessed it was going to go down and was surprised by the direction it took (say what you will, I think the makers of the movie went for the more challenging of the movies).

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score

Sounds like a much better ending and that is what I thought was going to happen...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard