Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Francis Lawrence Takes on I Am Legend
Source: Variety
September 14, 2005

Constantine director Francis Lawrence will direct I Am Legend for Warner Bros. Pictures, fast-tracking the long-gestating adaptation of the Richard Matheson novel. Variety says David Heyman, Akiva Goldsman, Neal Moritz and Erwin Stoff are producing. Mark Protosevich wrote the script.

In "Legend," Lawrence takes on a big sci-fi project that has been at the studio for nearly a decade. At one time, it had Ridley Scott and Arnold Schwarzenegger attached, and another incarnation had Michael Bay and Will Smith set.

Set in Los Angeles after a biological war, the film centers on the sole healthy survivor, a man who finds himself in a battle against nocturnal mutants. The film will undergo a rewrite under the supervision of Lawrence and the producers, who eye a 2006 start date.

Matheson's book was adapted twice before. Vincent Price starred in The Last Man on Earth and Charlton Heston toplined The Omega Man.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=3&id=40931

Eureka Star Was Legend

Salli Richardson-Whitfield, star of the SCI FI original series Eureka, told SCI FI Wire that she plays a small but important supporting role in the upcoming SF action film I Am Legend, based on the classic Richard Matheson book. "I play Will Smith's wife in it," Richardson-Whitfield said in an interview. "And his daughter—his real daughter [Willow Smith]—plays our daughter."

I Am Legend stars Smith (I, Robot) as Robert Neville, the last-known healthy survivor of a biological war, who now must contend with mutant nocturnal creatures out to kill him before he can cure the plague that brought them into being. Richardson-Whitfield filmed I Am Legend on location in New York City during her most recent Eureka hiatus.

"[Willow Smith and I] are ... at the beginning of the movie, when they're trying to get us out of the city, because everyone is starting to get infected," Richardson-Whitfield said. "So it's more like I'm more like I'm the mom, and it's that kind of situation. But it was great being in New York. It was very cold. We were shooting outside, at night, on the pier, under a bridge, at the coldest time it's been in New York in three years. So that should tell you everything you should know about shooting it. But the experience of doing the film was wonderful. Will is amazing." I Am Legend will be released on Dec. 14. —Ian Spelling

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that has not heard about this movie until now? I didn't even know Will Smith was working on another sci fi movie. Sounds sort of lightweight material considering the roles he has been picking as of late.

Last edited:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, saw the trailer for this movie while watching Ocean's 13 and dang...it looks SWWEEEEEET.

It's now the movie I'm most anticipating seeing next.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw the trailer again for this movie. I hope it's good. This story has been adapted quite of few times. I know people who love the OMEGA MAN. However, it deviated a bit from the original story.

Also, the movie was suppose to be an Arnold film back in the 1990's but then got axed for budget reasons. I can't wait for this film. It better not suck.

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
This book is pretty awesome, and even though I think the movie will deviate from it quite a bit I'm really looking forward to it after seeing the trailer.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robert Neville (Will Smith) is a brilliant scientist, but even he could not contain the terrible virus that was unstoppable, incurable...and manmade. Somehow immune, Neville is now the last human survivor in what is left of New York City...and maybe the world. But he is not alone. He is surrounded by "the Infected"--victims of the plague who have mutated into carnivorous beings who can only exist in...

This movie looks really good, it may be good enough to drag me into the theatres.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mods merge thread.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally looking forward to this one! WIll Smith is DA MAN!

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Disappointing reviews. I was looking forward to this, but it seems that most of the second half of the film is a B-movie zombie flick full of cheap scare tacticts.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
who cares about reviews.. I let trailers tell the story of the movie.

Pretty sure this is a "theatre" experience. Will probably go tomorrow.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I think SciFi rated it a 'B' and the guy from the Mark and Brian morning show (Scott something) gave it a 9/10... So I think it will be an entertaining movie and that is good enough for me.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I don't know. Perhaps a deeper exploration into the loneliness of total isolation. I wasn't really looking for anything specific, but zombies running around like Carl Lewis was something I was hoping to avoid.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I don't know. Perhaps a deeper exploration into the loneliness of total isolation. I wasn't really looking for anything specific, but zombies running around like Carl Lewis was something I was hoping to avoid.
From my understanding they do hit that subject but it doesn't run the whole length of the film.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
It definitely looks interesting. The plot alone kind of draws you in. I'm hoping to see it sometime within the next two weeks.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Just watched the film. I enjoyed it very much. It was entertaining.

A bunch of people cried during the movie.

Regarding the zombie comment, well no duh. It's a zombie movie. If any has ever read the book or is familiar with its content that is the gist of it.

Will Smith can always be counted on to put out an entertaining movie.

This won't win any awards, but it'll empty plenty of buckets of popcorn.