I Am Legend

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got back... I liked it. Very cool to see NYC completely deserted. Entertaining movie, and I loved Will Smith.

I, too, thought he should have thrown the grenade past the glass, but I can see why he didn't.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Anyone wonder how the girl and boy got on and off the island? The tunnel was flooded and the bridges blown to crap.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Just got back... I liked it. Very cool to see NYC completely deserted. Entertaining movie, and I loved Will Smith.

I, too, thought he should have thrown the grenade past the glass, but I can see why he didn't.

The glass was broken--once the grenade exploded, he would have been dead anyway.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone wonder how the girl and boy got on and off the island? The tunnel was flooded and the bridges blown to crap.

I am sure they could have borrowed a boat and no one would have minded and it was probably the same one they came in on.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The glass was broken--once the grenade exploded, he would have been dead anyway.

right, but he then could have gone out through that little door that the lady and her kid did...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i thought it was okay. not great, not bad. I will ask this though. How many movies has Will Smith made where he's literally responsible for saving the planet? Two MIBs, Independence Day, I Am Legend, I Robot... that's 5 off the top of my head.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i thought it was okay. not great, not bad. I will ask this though. How many movies has Will Smith made where he's literally responsible for saving the planet? Two MIBs, Independence Day, I Am Legend, I Robot... that's 5 off the top of my head.

Don't forget Wild Wild West!! :D

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I thought it was okay, the infected people were pretty weak. Are we really supposed to believe a virus turned a human into a Star Wars character?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked it a lot! Very entertaining!

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
right, but he then could have gone out through that little door that the lady and her kid did...

It wasn't a door to anywhere. It was an incenerator door. The lady and kid just waited until morning to come out. If he had gone in there the monsters would have kept coming after them and they would have been trapped. He saved them by killing the monsters and himself.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just been out 9 days and easily over 140 million after todays figures are tallied. Pretty damned impressive.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It was far from a zombie book(more a vampire angle with them sleeping during the day and him spending his day sharpening wooden stakes) it originally dealt with a man who felt he was alone doing what he thought was right but it turned out he was "legend" to the half-vampire/half-human mutants that he didn't know existed. He didn't realize there was a hybrid and it ended up he was as much a threat to them as they were to him. He was going around killing what he thought were monsters during the day while they slept and he was very much their "boogey man"--it has a twist & irony, this adaption of the movie didn't have anything close.

The movie was OK...the ending was just plain bad. I really wish they had stuck more to the original story and not deviated so much, it lost a lot of its impact. It ended up being a CG zombie movie with very little in the way of depth. The best part was his relationship with his dog.

i didn't read the book, but it was something like this, a clever twist, that i expected rather than a mere zombie movie, which i found disappointing. it was 28 days later with better writing. i would have liked to have seen something more along the lines of how you describe the book.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a good thing he found an infinite supply of "Sta-bil" so that he could stabilize all the gasoline in the city so it would burn 1000 days later.... Likewise, nice that he could get an entire genetic engineering and serum lab into the basement of his NY townhome... :rolleyes:

Intense and depressing. Some great visuals and at least a B+ acting job by Will Smith. Overall, 2.5 out of 4 stars.

Glad I saw it at matinée prices

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Saw it with my son today. We both liked it. I kept thinking that the zombies were just trying to get the female back. I thought it would turn out that they were smarter than he thought and that they viewed him as the bad guy for kidnapping one of them, and they were just trying to rescue her.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I just read today that the original ending had Will Smith's character give the girl zombie back and then they left him alone, and then he and the other two all went to Vermont together. Apparently it tested poorly so they changed it.

former user 1

Registered
Reaction score
I just read today that the original ending had Will Smith's character give the girl zombie back and then they left him alone, and then he and the other two all went to Vermont together. Apparently it tested poorly so they changed it.

While I would have loved for Neville to have survived and gone on to Vermont I know that it wouldn't have been a good ending for the movie. Now, it would have been an awesome ending only if his family was in Vermont .... but it makes sense ...
his wife and daughter die, his dog dies, and then he dies

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I would have loved for Neville to have survived and gone on to Vermont I know that it wouldn't have been a good ending for the movie. Now, it would have been an awesome ending only if his family was in Vermont .... but it makes sense ...
his wife and daughter die, his dog dies, and then he dies

Plus.... He was partially responsible for the creation of the virus in the first place....

Him dying at the end did make sense.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Plus.... He was partially responsible for the creation of the virus in the first place....

Him dying at the end did make sense.

As to your spoiler:

What? Where did you get that idea from? He was responsible for finding a cure. Not for creating the vaccine. At least I think I'm right.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heu....

Heu... you might well be right... I don't think it was ever specifically said he was part of the team that came up with the cure for cancer. However, because of his repeated insistence that "I can fix this," he gave me the impression that he bore some responsibility for the mess. Anyone else have a take on this?

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
Neville might be responsible for the virus,
and he was immune to it in the movie right?
how was that?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heu....

Heu... you might well be right... I don't think it was ever specifically said he was part of the team that came up with the cure for cancer. However, because of his repeated insistence that "I can fix this," he gave me the impression that he bore some responsibility for the mess. Anyone else have a take on this?

I think because he lost everything, he felt if he fixed it, it would bring everything back. Some British lady created it.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think because he lost everything, he felt if he fixed it, it would bring everything back. Some British lady created it.

Yeah, I know she was the one on the interview, but he could well have been "on the team" that invented the cancer cure. His attitude just seemed to me to convey some ownership, cuz he was so into finding the cure (without having anyone identified who was afflicted). Guess we both could be right, as nothing was really said either way. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard