Hopkins Wants Out?

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well, let's hope we can get a high draft choice for him. We are going to be in a major rebuild mode for sure.
Yes, let’s hope we don’t go all “Bill O’Brien” and trade him for a ham sandwich as BOB did when shipping him to us.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
At what, giving you absolutely no hope that he was capable of completing a pass. Just to think of Lindley playing that Rams team is beyond demonic contemplation
As opposed to the helpless QB that couldn't even throw the ball away against the Rams? KM was historically bad in that game, and you well know it. You just don't want to remember just how hellish he was in that game lol

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As opposed to the helpless QB that couldn't even throw the ball away against the Rams? KM was historically bad in that game, and you well know it. You just don't want to remember just how hellish he was in that game lol
Time eases all wounds. If people want to be honest about that game they should go rewatch it. It’s a horror show.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Until some decisions are made concerning Keim and Kingsbury, everything else is up in the air.

The biggest question that remains is there a HC out there that is willing to deal with a QB who seems of the mind of just call a play and if my primary target isn't open I'll just scurry around and try to find someone else to throw to and if I can't, then I'll just run OB or fall to the ground so I don't get hit.

I still think Kingsbury letting Murray call plays in the pre season was one of the most stupid decisions he ever made. All it did was encourage Murray question plays that came in from the sidelines which led to the complete erosion of communication between Murray and Kingsbury.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The #1 receiver in 2023 under the scenario suggested is Hollywood
Big fail. The Ravens were smart enough to know that Brown is nowhere near what you need for a #1, and to pay him as much is a huge mistake.

What's the phrase, throwing good money after bad?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Time eases all wounds. If people want to be honest about that game they should go rewatch it. It’s a horror show.
The defense played more then well enough to win that Carolina game. The entire team and coaching staff never should’ve gotten on the plane to LA last year. Even a below average QB performance likely would’ve beaten Carolina in ‘15.

People rightly mock the Kyler pick 6 but seemingly forget AJ Green’s blatant drop on a 25 yard gain the play before and Kirk inexplicably letting the punt drop at the 11 and allowing it roll to the 1 the play before that. Not to mention the swiss cheese defense and horrid o-line play. Entire team and staff was an abomination in last years game, in Carolina we basically got held back by a guy best served in a coed flag football league (despite his “high IQ”)

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Unless you have a stacked WR corps, every QB would be worse without their WR1.

But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get draft capital for a player at his best value when you’re going through a huge regime change.

Like @GatorAZ, let’s not make the same mistake the FO did with Peterson.
If you want Kyler to be the reason you win vs the reason you lose, yes.

There are two options for a new head coach taking over this team.

1. Maxmize Kyler Murray. Continue to give him top end weapons so he can justify his contract. This would include keeping Hopkins.

2. Minimize Kyler Murray. Change the offense to a more run focused scheme, lowering his passing volume and making it less Kyler dependent. This would enable you to trade Hopkins for market value but also means Kyler will not justify his contract. You are signing up for a better roster but paying 45 mil for 23/36 238yds 6.5 yds per comp 1.2 tds .7 ints (Kyler's career stats without Hopkins)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
and, for the record, if you hire some first time HC and then make the "smart" business moves of trading Hopkins and Brown (Hopkins because he is over 30 and Brown because he wants a contract the Cardinals shouldn't pay him), Kyler is demanding a trade as soon as he is helathy. Kyler is not the guy who is interested in making it work with what he has for the best interest of the franchise. Kyler is about Kyler which is fine for him but terrible for a franchise or fan.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

1. Maxmize Kyler Murray. Continue to give him top end weapons so he can justify his contract. This would include keeping Hopkins.

2. Minimize Kyler Murray. Change the offense to a more run focused scheme, lowering his passing volume and making it less Kyler dependent. This would enable you to trade Hopkins for market value but also means Kyler will not justify his contract. You are signing up for a better roster but paying 45 mil for 23/36 238yds 6.5 yds per comp 1.2 tds .7 ints (Kyler's career stats without Hopkins)
The latter isn’t exactly true as we never consistently established an effective run game under Kliff. Even without Hop and a theoretical run game that concerns opposing defenses we can again in theory get better numbers from Kyler.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Smeared right out of the gates. Instant embarrassment after the whistle. As if the team didn't even get off the bus for the game.
We were leading at half in that Carolina game all because our defense gave us the ball at Carolina’s 17 and 30 yard lines. Gave it to the offense again at the Carolina 8 in the second half (Lindley INT).

Drew Butler was also an abomination in that game. I remember him being even worse than his usual complete dog crap.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We were leading at half in that Carolina game all because our defense gave us the ball at Carolina’s 17 and 30 yard lines in the first half.

Drew Butler was also an abomination in that game. I remember him being even worse than his usual complete dog crap.
You must be registered for see images attach

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The latter isn’t exactly true as we never consistently established an effective run game under Kliff. Even without Hop and a theoretical run game that concerns opposing defenses we can again in theory get better numbers from Kyler.
Kyler may become more efficient but only two teams with top level QBs this year are in the top 10 in rushing. Buffalo and Philly. If you believe Kyler can hold up taking the beating that those two QBs take and elevate the team's rushing as well, you could be right. I don't think he is built to nor has the mindset to and therefore think that at best, he becomes a tiny Jimmy G.

And for the record in 2020 we were 6th in rushing and 2021 14th WITH Kliff. Both of those standings would equate to "effective".

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Kyler may become more efficient but only two teams with top level QBs this year are in the top 10 in rushing. Buffalo and Philly. If you believe Kyler can hold up taking the beating that those two QBs take and elevate the team's rushing as well, you could be right. I don't think he is built to nor has the mindset to and therefore think that at best, he becomes a tiny Jimmy G.

And for the record in 2020 we were 6th in rushing and 2021 14th WITH Kliff. Both of those standings would equate to "effective".
I think he means an RB-supported running game. More San Fran less Baltimore/Buffalo/Philly.

This goes back to what @DVontel was saying about Kyler and Shanahan. In some ways Kyler already is what Shanny wants Trey Lance to become, but could he work in that structured offense?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

i think you laid out the two poles of the continuum, but there is some middle ground between those two places

I want a stronger running game (with better play action concepts off of it) to put Murray in advantageous situations that play to his strengths

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think he means an RB-supported running game. More San Fran less Baltimore/Buffalo/Philly.

This goes back to what @DVontel was saying about Kyler and Shanahan. In some ways Kyler already is what Shanny wants Trey Lance to become, but could he work in that structured offense?
But that only works when you are not paying a QB 45 mil. Even aside from the fact that Kyle isn't sitting on the open market waiting to coach the Cardinals, his scheme will never justify a 45 mil QB. It can't. Jimmy G averaged 30 pass attempts per game this season. 29.4 per game last season. If that is what you want, just trade Kyler and draft a rookie.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Hopkins is over 30 and slow. Trade him and draft the #1 WR in the draft. Its a win win financially, quality, and draft wise.

Then package the pick you get for Hopkins with your 2nd pick and go get the big Texas RB.

Now you have the makings of a better team that you can then build your OL around, while improving your D over the 2 years you are waiting for KM to be ready to go at 100%.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
i think you laid out the two poles of the continuum, but there is some middle ground between those two places

I want a stronger running game (with better play action concepts off of it) to put Murray in advantageous situations that play to his strengths
Which are what? His strengths are running the ball and making plays outside of scheme. Neither of those are staples of high functioning of a strong running game and play action scheme. Hell, statistics show that you don't even need a strong running game to have an effective play action scheme.

Basically what people are saying is to minimize Kyler throwing the football and while that could be a way to have a better offense, you are going to struggle to afford the personnel to field a better offense because it is tough to be that successful consistently in the draft.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard