Hopkins Wants Out?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
There’s gotta be contract stipulations regarding communication/rehab info. Or maybe they came to an agreement that he could choose his surgeon if everything was monitored?
Generally the team has designated physicians. However, players are always free to second opinions. They can also typically choose another physician, but trouble can develop if there are post-surgical complications. This made big headlines when Stedman started his micro-fracture process

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're not going to be any good next season. By the season After, DHop's contract is untenable and he either needs to be extended, let go, or traded. He will have little trade value at that point. He will also be pretty old. He won't want to take a low-value contract. The likelihood is he won't be with the team in 2024.

2023 is a complete wash. Trade him while you can get good value for him.
Not sure I agree, unless the team is getting rid of EVERYONE of value besides Kyler since he is untradeable. Trade D-Hop, Budda, let both Murphy and Allen leave for comp picks etc.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Not sure I agree, unless the team is getting rid of EVERYONE of value besides Kyler since he is untradeable. Trade D-Hop, Budda, let both Murphy and Allen leave for comp picks etc.
No, because those are young players you can build around. D-Hop is not going to be at his best/will be insanely expensive by the time we're hoping to be good again.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No, because those are young players you can build around. D-Hop is not going to be at his best/will be insanely expensive by the time we're hoping to be good again.
Maybe. Maybe not.

I'd consider drafting a talented young receiver AGAIN just because I know that Murray struggles to be a good QB without having a top talent.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has 22M in dead cap next year. I don't see any chance of Bidwill just eating that money to get better. If he is willing to make decisions like this, he would have fired Keim/Kliff midseason.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He has 22M in dead cap next year. I don't see any chance of Bidwill just eating that money to get better. If he is willing to make decisions like this, he would have fired Keim/Kliff midseason.
That $22 million is already spent. It's old signing/roster/option bonuses.

Keim and Kliff is money TO BE PAID. It's a huge difference.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That $22 million is already spent. It's old signing/roster/option bonuses.

Keim and Kliff is money TO BE PAID. It's a huge difference.
It isn't technically 'spent' until next year though.

If you want to look at it that way, Keim and Kliff money (their entire contacts) is spent since it is fully guaranteed.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

If you want to look at it that way, Keim and Kliff money (their entire contacts) is spent since it is fully guaranteed.
It is spent. It's spent on those past bonuses and accounted for through the life of the contract or its first five years (whichever is shorter).

If nothing happens, the Cards still spend $19.45 million in actual 2023 dollars to Hopkins while also carrying $11.3 million in prorated bonus money as an accounting fiction.

Kliff and Keim have offsets (maybe) or buyouts or any other ways to reduce the future dollar cost; the money isn't spent until it's actually spent.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Buyout is what you pay after firing him. Does he mean an early termination clause we don’t know about?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Buyout is what you pay after firing him. Does he mean an early termination clause we don’t know about?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
i believe he is implying that should one or both be fired, Bidwill wouldnt be on the hook for the full value of the future years of the contracts

its another way of saying that their contracts are not 100% guaranteed

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

I hope you have better success with that position than I had.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It is spent. It's spent on those past bonuses and accounted for through the life of the contract or its first five years (whichever is shorter).

If nothing happens, the Cards still spend $19.45 million in actual 2023 dollars to Hopkins while also carrying $11.3 million in prorated bonus money as an accounting fiction.

Kliff and Keim have offsets (maybe) or buyouts or any other ways to reduce the future dollar cost; the money isn't spent until it's actually spent.

There was a buzz some years back on a particular clause teams install in contracts that allow teams to cut their losses.
"Conduct detrimental to the team"
Not likely an issue in regards to kliff but keim is a different matter entirely. If the clause is still being used, keims alcoholism could be reason to void his contract entirely. Just not convinced mike would do that to his buddy.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
There was a buzz some years back on a particular clause teams install in contracts that allow teams to cut their losses.
"Conduct detrimental to the team"
Not likely an issue in regards to kliff but keim is a different matter entirely. If the clause is still being used, keims alcoholism could be reason to void his contract entirely. Just not convinced mike would do that to his buddy.
Also, if you believe Mao, Keim knows where more than a few Bidwill family bodies are buried. It seems like GMs make significantly less than head coaches, so it's probably less of a cost. Like, the dead money we have for Jordan Phillips in 2023 is perhaps less than we'd have if we gave Keim every dime.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, if you believe Mao, Keim knows where more than a few Bidwill family bodies are buried. It seems like GMs make significantly less than head coaches, so it's probably less of a cost. Like, the dead money we have for Jordan Phillips in 2023 is perhaps less than we'd have if we gave Keim every dime.
I saw a report that Keim is making 5M per year. Not sure how much you can trust that source, but that is a lot of dough.

...but then I saw he went down to 2M. Then he was extended, so who knows...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I saw a report that Keim is making 5M per year. Not sure how much you can trust that source, but that is a lot of dough.

...but then I saw he went down to 2M. Then he was extended, so who knows...
Yeah. The online reports are both disreputable and all over the board, but I think that the GM is generally paid about half as much as a head coach.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I mean not like there’s anything illegal happening. Keim is done, he’s toxic so whatever he says now probably won’t be listened to. I would however imagine some sort of buyout is negotiated upon him leaving rehab. Can’t fire him now without getting sued technically.

And I’ve said there is likely buyouts for both these clowns for months now. Bidwill ain’t that smart but he ain’t that dumb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard