Hoops: UofA v. Washington

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
2 OT.

Roy just hit his 2nd buzzer-beater to send it into 2nd OT.

Basically, the Hassan Adams v. Brandon Roy show.

- Chris Rodgers is terrible. Why he gave Roy so much of a cushion to get off the 1st 3 is beyond me.

- Shakur, while still a poor playmaker, has hit some pretty big FT's.

- The Williams kid for UofA is going to be a force next year and beyond.

Lute just might have a coronary before this one is over.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Both teams played well enough to lose down the stretch, with fouls and missed FT's.

I don't know when Hassan learned to actually shoot, but wow, what a game for him. His best as a Cat, easily.

Big win!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And don't forget this was probably Mustafa's best game this season.

But the free throw problems have to be fixed. There should be no excuse for Ivan to keep throwing up bricks like that, especially after shooting FTs so well recently.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was a Classic! Bear Down Arizona!!!

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
And don't forget this was probably Mustafa's best game this season.

He still shot 6 of 15 though. Atleast he hit his free-throws down the stretch. However, I think he can still improve a lot more.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
He still shot 6 of 15 though. Atleast he hit his free-throws down the stretch. However, I think he can still improve a lot more.

Nobody on this team is a good shooter. Hassan had a great game, but he still thinks he's a better shooter than he actually is.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a great game, why they started it that early is beyond me, but what a fun game to watch, huge win for Arizona.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Nobody on this team is a good shooter. Hassan had a great game, but he still thinks he's a better shooter than he actually is.

McClellan is a pretty good shooter.

And I wasn't bashing on Shakur because he did have a great game. However, there is still room for improvement. He did hit his free-throws at the end of the game, so that is a huge plus.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
McClellan is a pretty good shooter.

And I wasn't bashing on Shakur because he did have a great game. However, there is still room for improvement. He did hit his free-throws at the end of the game, so that is a huge plus.

I think McClellan is a bit overrated by most UA fans. He has potential, but he wasn't a guy that was going to carry this team.

Really all UA fans can hope for is the guy actually passes his classes, you know, on the 3rd try.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
green machine said:
I think McClellan is a bit overrated by most UA fans. He has potential, but he wasn't a guy that was going to carry this team.

Really all UA fans can hope for is the guy actually passes his classes, you know, on the 3rd try.

He was very impressive his freshman year. In the tourny he had some pretty good games and his regular season was not too bad either. Combined he shot: .468FG% .729FT% .3933P%. While I will admit that those numbers are not great they certainly are not bad. Right now our best 3point shooter (percentage wise) is Marcus Williams at .375%. So McClellan is clearly the best outside shooter.

While Jawann is not the savior of this team, having him in the line-up certainly would not hurt. He could be the 3rd leading scorer on this team behind Adams and Rodgers (unless Chris continues to play poorly offensively and works his way out of the starting five).

Hopefully, the 3rd time is the charm for McClellan. I mean... under-water basket weaving is not too hard of a class.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Great game and a better win for the Cats. Like most of us realized after the Houston loss, this team is improving as the season progresses and looks to get even more ammo once McClellan returns in a couple weeks. Sweeping the Washington road trip definitely gives them the advantage when it comes to winning the Pac. But the second most satisfying part about the win is shutting up Washington. The ridiculous championship banner aside, I don't see where they get off running their mouths about surpassing Arizona seeing in that they've never been further than the Sweet 16 and have never won the Pac.

And while Green insists that many overate McClellan (which is somewhat true), I think you're underrating him a bit. Jawaan won't be our go-to scorer or anything like that this year, but you seem to forget he was the sixth man on last year's Top 5 team and is only two years removed from being a McD's All American. He will be a huge asset in the second half of the conference schedule due to his shooting and making the bench that much deeper.

Last edited:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jawann is going to help this team, either coming off the bench or even starting down the road. He and Lute are very close. There was a story last year on how close the two are. He mentioned how Lute is a second father to him.

Jawann was a McDonalds All-American and showed a lot of promise last year. He can hit the outside shot and also is a good rebounder. The big question is how much his injury has healed?

If Chris Rodgers continues to shoot poorly from the outside, Jawann should see more playing time. Plus, Rodgers has a horrible attitude. I have witnessed it in person when playing ball at the Rec Center. He is one player I will not be sad to leave. I have never liked him and some of his teammates have had the same feeling. Just ask Iggy who had a fight with him a few years back.

This should be another exciting year in the Pac-10. Lute has gone on record and said this year's team will be as good as last year's team come February.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I caught this game on the replay.

WOW! Double OT!

I could not believe the cushion they gave Roy to send it into the first overtime. Nice clutch shots by Roy, though :notworthy:

There were several times I thought UofA was going to lose (the missed free-throws in particular), but they managed to hang on.

Great game!

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Great game and a better win for the Cats. Like most of us realized after the Houston loss, this team is improving as the season progresses and looks to get even more ammo once McClellan returns in a couple weeks. Sweeping the Washington road trip definitely gives them the advantage when it comes to winning the Pac. But the second most satisfying part about the win is shutting up Washington. The ridiculous championship banner aside, I don't see where they get off running their mouths about surpassing Arizona seeing in that they've never been further than the Sweet 16 and have never won the Pac.

And while Green insists that many overate McClellan (which is somewhat true), I think you're underrating him a bit. Jawaan won't be our go-to scorer or anything like that this year, but you seem to forget he was the sixth man on last year's Top 5 team and is only two years removed from being a McD's All American. He will be a huge asset in the second half of the conference schedule due to his shooting and making the bench that much deeper.

Totally agree. I actually think after watching him develop over last season that come tournamaent time he will be our second best player. He is a very effective player, especially when the games get more intense. With Jawann, Williams, Budinger and then Bayless we will have some impact freshman in the next few years. So will UW though. That banner pissed me off too. I hope we smoke them the next six years straight. They are our biggest rivals now with the decline in Stanford.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
I caught this game on the replay.

WOW! Double OT!

I could not believe the cushion they gave Roy to send it into the first overtime. Nice clutch shots by Roy, though :notworthy:

!

As I watched it I was thinking that was payback for Afflalo giving Salim too much cushion last year. But UA pulled it out. Hassan was on fire from 3 there for awhile, he's not a particularly good shooter but he hit 2 huge ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard