RM's Game Notes: Preseason Game 3 - Cardinals vs. Raiders

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Some of the main things to take away from the game.

1. Kolb plays 98% of the 1st half. Has a TD drive early. Was called "scared" by the Raiders defensive lineman Tommy Kelly. He looks scare to me, and he took A LOT of sacks.

2. Most telling event of this game, see points #27 and #31: The defense makes a great play (66yd INT return) gives the ball to Kolb inside the 10, and the offense goes 3 & out, settling for a FG. The defense makes a great play (Washington forces fumble, Bradley recovers) and give the ball to Skelton deep in Raiders territory, and we score a TD on three passes from Skelton. Just sayin'

3. The vibe coming from the Cardinals is that Levi Brown is done for the year with a tricep injury. It has not been confirmed but it does not look good. UPDATE: ESPN Schefter is saying it is a tear, at least 3 months, could be the year.

4. Rich Bartel doesn't play a snap in this game.

5. Our defense looks like our defense from last year again. Whew!

6. Stewart Bradley is looking like the player we all hoped we would get when we signed him. He is playing very well against the run, and IMO, will be starting this year. Bradley and Washington will be a very good duo this year. This is GREAT news.

7. Matt Leinart is still Matt Leinart.

8. Justin Bethel is making this team.

GAME NOTES:
---------------------
1st Quarter:

1. Rashad Johnson - I guess he had enough of me calling him out. Starts the game with a good ST tackle

2. Acho and A-Dub work together on the first two plays for stops. Acho doesn't not fall for mis-direction.

3. Starters on defense Dockett-Williams-Campbell-Haggans-Washington-Bradley-Acho-Peterson-Gay-Wilson-Rhodes.

4. Reggie Walker with a big stop on 3rd down. Another player tired of hearing me call him out. Reggie Walker looked like someone else was playing in his uniform. He looked very good tonight.

5. Patrick Peterson returns punt 40-something yards. I do not understand why people want to take one our of best offensive threats and put him on the bench. The guy is a weapon and an asset as a punt returner. Scoring points will be a problem this year. Peterson scores points.

6. First play on offense Colledge gets beat and he will get beat like a drum all night long.

7. Batiste beat but Kolb gets it out to Sherman.

8. 15 yd run by Ryan Williams. Williams looks bigger this year. He also looks quick, fast, and has great vision from what I can see. The drive ends with Williams scoring a TD on a run. 7-0 Cardinals

9. That is a TD drive for Kolb, BTW. He was 3-3 on the drive.

10. Acho shows some more on defense, and Reggie Walker does as well. Walker getting a lot of time with the first unit.

11. Dockett commits the same penalty Williams did last week. Stupid. We had the Raiders stopped but Dockett crawls on his hands/knees and hits Palmer low and late. 15 yds. Stupid.

12. Very next play McFadden runs for 23 yds and one ILB is blocked, and the other (Bradley) is late to the hole, and torched by McFadden.

13. Adrian Wilson with excellent coverage in the end zone, saves a TD.

14. William Gay with a P.I. in the endzone. Ball placed on the one . 1st & goal

15. 1st down: Campball/Williams stop. 2nd down: Wilson/Bradley/Williams stop. 3rd Down: Haggans with pressure, and good coverage by 2ndary - stop. Hold Oak to FG. Cardinals lead 7-3

16. Cardinals start with poor field position because of a hold on Jim Dray....again on special teams.

17. 1st thought before the drive: "This is going to be a safety"

18. Ryan Williams with a 6yd run to get the ball to the 11 yard line.

19. Colledge beat again. Kolb sacked at the 1 yard line.

20. Snyder and Batiste get beat. Kolb sacked for a safety. 7-5 Cardinals.

21. Bradley with a big tackle against the run for no gain.

22. Groves is playing with the 1st/2nd team show he is solid depth.

23. Bradley with another big tackle in the run game.

24. Caridnals hold Oak to FG. Raiders got good field position, and a 17 yd screen and kicked a FG. 7-8 Raiders....seriously.....7-8.

25. Kolb goes 3 & out and was sacked again on this drive. But this time he could have hit Todd Heap instead of taking the sack. Failed to see the blitz on 3rd down.

26. Kerry Rhodes with a 64 yard interception return. Good defense all around, and by Jamell Flemming. Rhodes plays the ball well, and a good return.

27. -Alfonso Smith in at RB, Williams done for the night - Kolb gets ball, 1st and 10 inside the 10 yard line going in.

28. 3 & out. Cardinals settle for a field goal. Kolb sacked during "drive" when Snyder gets beat, and gets a holding penality. FG good. 10-8 Cardinals.

29. Dan Williams with a nice play against the run.

30. Daryl Washington with a tackle and forced fumble. Recovered by Stewart Bradley.

31. -John Skelton is now in the game- Gets the ball in the Raider territory,and with 3 pass completions to Heap, Housler, and Sherman to score a TD. That is the only time Skelton sees the field. His night ends 3-3 with a TD.

32. -2nd Team Defense is in- Cardinals force 3 & out.

33. Justin Bethel blocks the punt, picks up the ball, and returns it for a TD. 24-8 Cardinals. Justin Bethel is not only going to make the final 53, but he will be active on game days. This is the end for Michael Adams, IMO.

34. David Carter with pressure, Reggie Walker with a forced fumble, recovered by Haggans who fumbles it back to Oakland.

35. Jamell Flemming called for a questionable personal foul for hitting a defense-less receiver. Ticky tack. Good hit.

36. 2nd Team defense: Brandon Williams, Colin Parker, Flemming, Jefferson, Carter, Eason, Holliday, Studivarant, Sanders.

37. Reggie Walker with pressure again.

38. Flemming with good coverage saves a TD, and Oak kicks FG 24-11 Cardinals.

39. Halftime: 17-8 Cardinals. NOTE: I was watching online, and it was the Raider's broadcast. Levi Brown at this point has been hurt, but I don't know about it.

40. -Ryan Lindley in-, 2nd team OL in: Young, Kelemete, Ohrnberger, Bridges, Massie.

41. William Powell makes a statement in this game, and the battle between Antonio Smith and William Powell heats up. Powell has an edge after this game.

42. William Powell good KR, and followed by a good run.

43. Lindley throws a weak pass, and it is picked. Poor mechanics.

44. HOLLYWOOD!!!!!! - Matt Leinart is in for the Raiders. Supposidly got boo'ed by the fans. Didn't hear it.

45. Gideon, and Bethel are our safeties. Gideon with a nice tackle.

46. OT: Leinart's first pass is a check down to the FB, like every other time he has started a game in the NFL. LOL.

47. Cardinals should have gone 3 & out but 12 men on the field on punt return gives Oakland 1st down.

48. Pass INT penalty on Flemming for big gain.

49. Oakland run the ball in from there. TD. 24-17 Cardinals.

50. Justin Bethel blocks extra point to keep it at 24-17.

51. 3rd Team DL: Talley, Lumpkin, Cohen

52. A 3 and out for the Cardinals, two short catches by Housler, and a drop from Floyd.

53. Justin Bethel makes the tackle on the punt.

54. Bethel beat in coverage.

55. Good play by Groves.

56. Oh No! Hollywood down. Lumpkin smashes Matt Leinart, and bwakes his wittle finger on his right hand. Leinart is out for the rest of the game. 5-8, 66 yards, and one broken finger.
You must be registered for see images

57. Just found out Levi Brown is hurt. ..........let's just say I am not that worried. Hope he is OK tho, for the sake of the fact he IS a Cardinals player who I know cares about the team. To be fair to Brown, nothing on the roster can play LT, and the only two free agents are old, and worn down. McKenzie, and Clifton.

58. Groves with a sack forces Oakland to punt.

59. Lindley sacked, and fumbles. Kelemete beat on the play. But, Cards defense gets ball back. Powell with good tackle on ST.

60. Powell with a good run off Housler block.

61. DeMarco Sampson with a great catch, fighting for the ball in the air.

62. Powell with a 10 yd TD run. 31-24 Cardinals.

63. Gideon with a few tackles and Oakland punts.

64. Clayton fumbles the ball on a run. Very poor.

65. AJ Jefferson with some good coverage to save a long bomb TD.

66. Raiders hit a 53 yard FG by Cormon or someone.

67. I forgot Stephen Williams was on this team. Has a decent catch from Lindley for a good gain. Acts like he won the Super Bowl.

68. Javarris James in the game has a few good runs. He is much better than Clayton, but James is going to be cut. Potter, OT in the game, does "better".

69. 4th Team Defense: Thompson, Parker, M.Green, Vasallos, Elder.

70. Cardinals win 31-27.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cardinals Depth Chart going into Game 3.

*** This is not MY PERSONAL depth chart this week. This is what I got out of watching who was put where at what time during the game. ***

QB- Kolb, Skelton, Lindley, Bartel

RB- [Wells], Williams, [LSH], Antonio Smith, William Powell, Clayton, James

FB- Sherman, Maui'a

TE- [King], Heap, Housler, Dray

WR 1- Fitz, Floyd, [Byrd], I.Williams, Stephen Williams

WR 2- [Roberts], Doucet, D.Sampson, J.Johnson

TE- [King], Heap, Housler, Dray, [Skelton]

LT- [L.Brown-inj], D.Young, N.Potter

LG- Colledge, Kelemete

OC- Sendlien, Orhnberger

RG- A.Snyder, J.Bridges

RT- D.Batiste, B.Massie

DE- Dockett, Carter, Eason, Cohen

NT- Williams, Carter, Lumpkin

DE- Campbell, Holliday, Talley

OLB- Acho, Q.Groves, B.Williams, A.Coleman-inj

SILB- S.Bradley,[Lenon], R.Walker, C.Parker, Vasallo

WILB- D.Washington, R.Walker, Studiviant

OLB- Haggans, [Schofield], Groves, Thompson

CB- Peterson, Flemming, [Toler], Parker

CB- Gay, Jefferson, [Toler], Adams

FS- Rhodes, Sanders, Bethel

SS- Wilson, Johnson, Gideon, Elder

K- Feely
P- Zastudil
LS- Leach

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Couple of observations for me: Bethel looks like a lock to make this team. Lindley is a lock to get cut. Throwing an INT then a fumble that went for a TD gets you cut.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kolb plays entire first half, Skelton plays sparingly. Which one do you think Whiz sees as "getting it right?"

I'd be shocked if Skelton is not named the starter for for game 1 this week.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Couple of observations for me: Bethel looks like a lock to make this team. Lindley is a lock to get cut. Throwing an INT then a fumble that went for a TD gets you cut.

One week, some are wondering whether he should start.

Next week... cut him. (lol)

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kolb plays entire first half, Skelton plays sparingly. Which one do you think Whiz sees as "getting it right?"

I'd be shocked if Skelton is not named the starter for for game 1 this week.[/QUOTE]

I'd be shocked if he did it this week. We have 5 not 4 preseason games, so I'd expect the call comes after game 4.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be shocked if he did it this week. We have 5 not 4 preseason games, so I'd expect the call comes after game 4.
The sooner Whiz names a starter the better. Why take snaps away from Skelton with the first team in practice? Game 4 is usually the dress rehearsal for the starters--I'd like to see Skelton play the first half and find a rhythm with the starters.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I'd be shocked if Skelton is not named the starter for for game 1 this week.

No, you missed the point--CKW says Skelton didn't have enough reps to judge his play. It is unbelievable how pigheaded CKW can be right now. 1--of course he only got a few reps--THAT'S ALL YOU GAVE HIM, CKW!!! 2--no matter how few reps Skelton received, it doesn't mitigate how much Kolb sucks.

I hope and pray that it's just CKW being enigmatic and sneaky, but coupled with Urban's mouthpiece comments defending Kolb tooth and nail, and I'm really worried that either CKW, the FO, or both, refuse to see the glaringly obvious about Kolb, about how much he BLOWS.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on Audio, Written Log & Hearsay....

- Cardinal defense stepped up last night.

- Red zone defense was unreal.

- I thought Bethel would be good but not as consistent a playmaker as he's turned out to be.

- Ryan Williams - pleasant surprise. (Please stay healthy)

- 10 penalties is way too many, and that # will cost us games.

- Seems like Powell is playing his way past Smith. (Stlll, I'd hate to lose Funzie).

- Another strong game from Bradley

- Should we make anything from Walker's early appearance with the 1st unit? (He apparently made a 180-degree turnaround this week)

- Despite Urban's comment about how Tommie Kelly could see how Kolb was doing while he was battling thru the trash - I thought his comments about Kolb worrying so much about oncoming rushers that didn't look for open guys down field - was spot-on (& echoing what Glen Parker said on the radio).

- In all fairness, the "sample size" for Kolb's and Skelton's snaps is kind of small. Still, we're beginning to have the growing sense that Skelton is beginning to pull away. (Note - Kolb's pocket problems - including 3 sacks - are legitimate concerns which are compounded by the possible loss of Levi for the season. If there's gonna be pressure, I'd feel more secure with Skelton in there).

- Lindley apparently will suffer from rookie growing pains, but he did show resiliency after hitting those speed bumps.

- Flemming saw a lot of early action. (Hmmm). Had his rookie moments, but I could see him eased into action as the season progresses. Meanwhile Ideally, Toler will get healthy and seize the moment. (I am not overwhelmed by Gay thus far and am waiting for AJ to be rewarded more for current production tha for future potential).

Can't wait to see the rebroadcast early tomorrow AM. Things seem a bit more positive this week compared to before.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on Audio, Written Log & Hearsay....

- Cardinal defense stepped up last night.

- Red zone defense was unreal.

- I thought Bethel would be good but not as consistent a playmaker as he's turned out to be.

- 10 penalties is way too many, and that # will cost us games.

- Seems like Powell is playing his way past Smith. (Stlll, I'd hate to lose Funzie).

- Another strong game from Bradley

- Should we make anything from Walker's early appearance with the 1st unit? (He apparently made a 180-degree turnaround this week)

- Despite Urban's comment - questioning how Tommie Kelly could see what Kolb was doing while Tommie was battling thru the trash - I thought Kelly's comments about Kolb being so worried about oncoming rushers that didn't look for open guys down field - was spot-on (& echoing what Glen Parker said on the radio).

- In all fairness, the "sample size" for Kolb's and Skelton's snaps is kind of small. Still, I'm beginning to have a growing sense that Skelton is beginning to pull away. (Note - Kolb's pocket problems - including 3 sacks - are legitimate concerns which are compounded by the possible loss of Levi for the season. If there's gonna be pressure, I'd feel more secure with Skelton in there).

- Lindley apparently will suffer from rookie growing pains, but he did show resiliency later on after hitting those speed bumps.

- Flemming saw a lot of early action. (Hmmm). He had his rookie moments, but I could see him eased into a starting role as the season progresses. Meanwhile ideally, Toler will get healthy and seize the moment. (I am not overwhelmed by Gay thus far and am waiting for AJ to be rewarded more for current production than for future potential).

Can't wait to see the rebroadcast early tomorrow AM. Things seem a bit more positive this week compared to before.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the way this kid runs. Someone said last night (here at ASFN) that they didn't think he had explosiveness. I completely disagree. He ran sudden and violent. I think he could be special (if he stays healthy, of course).

He reminds me a bit of Garrison Hearst.

- In all fairness, the "sample size" for Kolb's and Skelton's snaps is kind of small. Still, we're beginning to have the growing sense that Skelton is beginning to pull away. (Note - Kolb's pocket problems - including 3 sacks - are legitimate concerns which are compounded by the possible loss of Levi for the season. If there's gonna be pressure, I'd feel more secure with Skelton in there).
The sample size on these guys goes back to the start of last season. Nothing's really changed. Kolb has always had a skittish pocket presence and it's affecting the entire offense.

All due respect, the sample size isn't the problem. It's Kolb.

I hold on to a slight glimmer of hope because he seemed to be bottling his demons up in the first drive. He stood in the pocket and delivered some good balls...but then he didn't.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rugby, great job. And b/t/w, NO WAY Lindley gets cut. His fumble was caused by an OL getting beat, and, imo, wasn't his fault. I haven't seen the int. I came away feeling pretty good, but along with everyone else now have BIG CONCERNS about the OL. Also, while I thought the defense played well, where's the pass rush? Looks like we'll have to do it with schemes rather than with pass rushers. Glad that RH is keeping everything vanilla, so at least we'll know if anyone has PR skills. If not, we'll blitz a lot. JMO.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
28. 3 & out. Cardinals settle for a field goal. Kolb sacked during "drive" when Snyder gets beat, and gets a holding penality. FG good. 10-8 Cardinals.

I've watched that play 5-6 times. I don't know where the refs saw holding unless they called it on Snyder for tripping and falling on top of Batiste's guy.

I know they used to call BIG for holding when he'd pancake some guy so quickly that he'd fall on top of him. As soon as BIG landed on top of the guy the flag would come in. Same thing happened last night with Snyder. Is that an NFL rule?

Anyway we can't expect too much from Div II refs suddenly thrust into the spotlight of the NFL. They mad a bunch of horrendous calls.

Speaking of which I'm surprised that no one has commented on the Cards getting called for 10 penalties for over 100 yards. Not something you want to see even in a pre season game.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, you missed the point--CKW says Skelton didn't have enough reps to judge his play. It is unbelievable how pigheaded CKW can be right now. 1--of course he only got a few reps--THAT'S ALL YOU GAVE HIM, CKW!!! 2--no matter how few reps Skelton received, it doesn't mitigate how much Kolb sucks.

I hope and pray that it's just CKW being enigmatic and sneaky, but coupled with Urban's mouthpiece comments defending Kolb tooth and nail, and I'm really worried that either CKW, the FO, or both, refuse to see the glaringly obvious about Kolb, about how much he BLOWS.

Agreed. Was it really important to get Lindley that many plays in this game? The starting QB job needs to be determined and Skelton hardly plays.

Not sure what Whis is thinking here.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Was it really important to get Lindley that many plays in this game? The starting QB job needs to be determined and Skelton hardly plays.

During the 2008 "open competition" preseason Kurt Warner had the 4th most attempts on the team. Leinart, BSP and Anthony Morelli all had more playing time then him. Warner finished with a grand total of 17 attempts in 4 games. The lack of PT is probably a sign that Skelton is going to be the starter.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He didn't want Skelton running with second-teamers and he wants Lindley (who will likely be a backup sooner rather than later) to get more reps.

Whis said post game he didn't want Skelton with the second teamers, and he wanted to put the starting oline down for the second half, so that's why limited reps for Skelton (and also, because he probably already feels the job is John's).

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He didn't want Skelton running with second-teamers and he wants Lindley (who will likely be a backup sooner rather than later) to get more reps.

Whis said post game he didn't want Skelton with the second teamers, and he wanted to put the starting oline down for the second half, so that's why limited reps for Skelton (and also, because he probably already feels the job is John's).

yeah it was because of all of the wierd happenings in the 2nd quarter. Cards offense didn't get to see the field as much.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of which I'm surprised that no one has commented on the Cards getting called for 10 penalties for over 100 yards. Not something you want to see even in a pre season game.

I thought the refs had a horrible game. With normal refs, I think that 10 is more like 5. Maybe 7, because I didn't think the roughing the passer hits were roughing.

Dockett's was going low, it wasn't him dropping down and diving. Personally if a guy is not really crawling, just going low with momentum and getting underneath and while get's slowed down, never really has his momentum stop, it shouldn't be a penalty. You shouldn't have to stand up after getting underneath your guy in order to have the privilege of sacking the QB. Though I do think that might 'technically' still be a penalty, but one of the nuanced things that should be written out....but maybe not for a few more years.

The one with Leinart was a forearm to the upper chest and the follow through triceps up under the helmet. That too shouldn't of been a penalty. Maybe it's found to be one, but it's another one I'm fine with because it wasn't blatant, it was right on the edge.

Flemming was jobbed by the refs all night long.

Though of course the real refs might have found some other stuff to throw flags, I think there was really only 5 flags and 2 on the edge so 5-7 legitimate flags. Given the importance by whiz to play hard, yet being so early in the season, I'm fine with it.

Hopefully the team stresses in film study every penalty, as you never want them to become a major problem.

As for what CKW said about Skelton, I think what he tells to reporters versus what he is thinking about big picture are two completely different things.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Some of the main things to take away from the game.

1. Kolb plays 98% of the 1st half. Has a TD drive early. Was called "scared" by the Raiders defensive lineman Tommy Kelly. He looks scare to me, and he took A LOT of sacks.

2. Most telling event of this game, see points #27 and #31: The defense makes a great play (66yd INT return) gives the ball to Kolb inside the 10, and the offense goes 3 & out, settling for a FG. The defense makes a great play (Washington forces fumble, Bradley recovers) and give the ball to Skelton deep in Raiders territory, and we score a TD on three passes from Skelton. Just sayin'

3. The vibe coming from the Cardinals is that Levi Brown is done for the year with a tricep injury. It has not been confirmed but it does not look good. UPDATE: ESPN Schefter is saying it is a tear, at least 3 months, could be the year.

4. Rich Bartel doesn't play a snap in this game.

5. Our defense looks like our defense from last year again. Whew!

6. Stewart Bradley is looking like the player we all hoped we would get when we signed him. He is playing very well against the run, and IMO, will be starting this year. Bradley and Washington will be a very good duo this year. This is GREAT news.

7. Matt Leinart is still Matt Leinart.

8. Justin Bethel is making this team.

GAME NOTES:
---------------------
1st Quarter:

1. Rashad Johnson - I guess he had enough of me calling him out. Starts the game with a good ST tackle

2. Acho and A-Dub work together on the first two plays for stops. Acho doesn't not fall for mis-direction.

3. Starters on defense Dockett-Williams-Campbell-Haggans-Washington-Bradley-Acho-Peterson-Gay-Wilson-Rhodes.

4. Reggie Walker with a big stop on 3rd down. Another player tired of hearing me call him out. Reggie Walker looked like someone else was playing in his uniform. He looked very good tonight.

5. Patrick Peterson returns punt 40-something yards. I do not understand why people want to take one our of best offensive threats and put him on the bench. The guy is a weapon and an asset as a punt returner. Scoring points will be a problem this year. Peterson scores points.

6. First play on offense Colledge gets beat and he will get beat like a drum all night long.

7. Batiste beat but Kolb gets it out to Sherman.

8. 15 yd run by Ryan Williams. Williams looks bigger this year. He also looks quick, fast, and has great vision from what I can see. The drive ends with Williams scoring a TD on a run. 7-0 Cardinals

9. That is a TD drive for Kolb, BTW. He was 3-3 on the drive.

10. Acho shows some more on defense, and Reggie Walker does as well. Walker getting a lot of time with the first unit.

11. Dockett commits the same penalty Williams did last week. Stupid. We had the Raiders stopped but Dockett crawls on his hands/knees and hits Palmer low and late. 15 yds. Stupid.

12. Very next play McFadden runs for 23 yds and one ILB is blocked, and the other (Bradley) is late to the hole, and torched by McFadden.

13. Adrian Wilson with excellent coverage in the end zone, saves a TD.

14. William Gay with a P.I. in the endzone. Ball placed on the one . 1st & goal

15. 1st down: Campball/Williams stop. 2nd down: Wilson/Bradley/Williams stop. 3rd Down: Haggans with pressure, and good coverage by 2ndary - stop. Hold Oak to FG. Cardinals lead 7-3

16. Cardinals start with poor field position because of a hold on Jim Dray....again on special teams.

17. 1st thought before the drive: "This is going to be a safety"

18. Ryan Williams with a 6yd run to get the ball to the 11 yard line.

19. Colledge beat again. Kolb sacked at the 1 yard line.

20. Snyder and Batiste get beat. Kolb sacked for a safety. 7-5 Cardinals.

21. Bradley with a big tackle against the run for no gain.

22. Groves is playing with the 1st/2nd team show he is solid depth.

23. Bradley with another big tackle in the run game.

24. Caridnals hold Oak to FG. Raiders got good field position, and a 17 yd screen and kicked a FG. 7-8 Raiders....seriously.....7-8.

25. Kolb goes 3 & out and was sacked again on this drive. But this time he could have hit Todd Heap instead of taking the sack. Failed to see the blitz on 3rd down.

26. Kerry Rhodes with a 64 yard interception return. Good defense all around, and by Jamell Flemming. Rhodes plays the ball well, and a good return.

27. -Alfonso Smith in at RB, Williams done for the night - Kolb gets ball, 1st and 10 inside the 10 yard line going in.

29. Dan Williams with a nice play against the run.

30. Daryl Washington with a tackle and forced fumble. Recovered by Stewart Bradley.

31. -John Skelton is now in the game- Gets the ball in the Raider territory,and with 3 pass completions to Heap, Housler, and Sherman to score a TD. That is the only time Skelton sees the field. His night ends 3-3 with a TD.

32. -2nd Team Defense is in- Cardinals force 3 & out.

33. Justin Bethel blocks the punt, picks up the ball, and returns it for a TD. 24-8 Cardinals. Justin Bethel is not only going to make the final 53, but he will be active on game days. This is the end for Michael Adams, IMO.

34. David Carter with pressure, Reggie Walker with a forced fumble, recovered by Haggans who fumbles it back to Oakland.

35. Jamell Flemming called for a questionable personal foul for hitting a defense-less receiver. Ticky tack. Good hit.

36. 2nd Team defense: Brandon Williams, Colin Parker, Flemming, Jefferson, Carter, Eason, Holliday, Studivarant, Sanders.

37. Reggie Walker with pressure again.

38. Flemming with good coverage saves a TD, and Oak kicks FG 24-11 Cardinals.

39. Halftime: 17-8 Cardinals. NOTE: I was watching online, and it was the Raider's broadcast. Levi Brown at this point has been hurt, but I don't know about it.

40. -Ryan Lindley in-, 2nd team OL in: Young, Kelemete, Ohrnberger, Bridges, Massie.

41. William Powell makes a statement in this game, and the battle between Antonio Smith and William Powell heats up. Powell has an edge after this game.

42. William Powell good KR, and followed by a good run.

43. Lindley throws a weak pass, and it is picked. Poor mechanics.

44. HOLLYWOOD!!!!!! - Matt Leinart is in for the Raiders. Supposidly got boo'ed by the fans. Didn't hear it.

45. Gideon, and Bethel are our safeties. Gideon with a nice tackle.

46. OT: Leinart's first pass is a check down to the FB, like every other time he has started a game in the NFL. LOL.

47. Cardinals should have gone 3 & out but 12 men on the field on punt return gives Oakland 1st down.

48. Pass INT penalty on Flemming for big gain.

49. Oakland run the ball in from there. TD. 24-17 Cardinals.

50. Justin Bethel blocks extra point to keep it at 24-17.

51. 3rd Team DL: Talley, Lumpkin, Cohen

52. A 3 and out for the Cardinals, two short catches by Housler, and a drop from Floyd.

53. Justin Bethel makes the tackle on the punt.

54. Bethel beat in coverage.

55. Good play by Groves.

56. Oh No! Hollywood down. Lumpkin smashes Matt Leinart, and bwakes his wittle finger on his right hand. Leinart is out for the rest of the game. 5-8, 66 yards, and one broken finger.
You must be registered for see images

57. Just found out Levi Brown is hurt. ..........let's just say I am not that worried. Hope he is OK tho, for the sake of the fact he IS a Cardinals player who I know cares about the team. To be fair to Brown, nothing on the roster can play LT, and the only two free agents are old, and worn down. McKenzie, and Clifton.

58. Groves with a sack forces Oakland to punt.

59. Lindley sacked, and fumbles. Kelemete beat on the play. But, Cards defense gets ball back. Powell with good tackle on ST.

60. Powell with a good run off Housler block.

61. DeMarco Sampson with a great catch, fighting for the ball in the air.

62. Powell with a 10 yd TD run. 31-24 Cardinals.

63. Gideon with a few tackles and Oakland punts.

64. Clayton fumbles the ball on a run. Very poor.

65. AJ Jefferson with some good coverage to save a long bomb TD.

66. Raiders hit a 53 yard FG by Cormon or someone.

67. I forgot Stephen Williams was on this team. Has a decent catch from Lindley for a good gain. Acts like he won the Super Bowl.

68. Javarris James in the game has a few good runs. He is much better than Clayton, but James is going to be cut. Potter, OT in the game, does "better".

69. 4th Team Defense: Thompson, Parker, M.Green, Vasallos, Elder.

70. Cardinals win 31-27.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cardinals Depth Chart going into Game 3.

*** This is not MY PERSONAL depth chart this week. This is what I got out of watching who was put where at what time during the game. ***

QB- Kolb, Skelton, Lindley, Bartel

RB- [Wells], Williams, [LSH], Antonio Smith, William Powell, Clayton, James

FB- Sherman, Maui'a

TE- [King], Heap, Housler, Dray

WR 1- Fitz, Floyd, [Byrd], I.Williams, Stephen Williams

WR 2- [Roberts], Doucet, D.Sampson, J.Johnson

TE- [King], Heap, Housler, Dray, [Skelton]

LT- [L.Brown-inj], D.Young, N.Potter

LG- Colledge, Kelemete

OC- Sendlien, Orhnberger

RG- A.Snyder, J.Bridges

RT- D.Batiste, B.Massie

DE- Dockett, Carter, Eason, Cohen

NT- Williams, Carter, Lumpkin

DE- Campbell, Holliday, Talley

OLB- Acho, Q.Groves, B.Williams, A.Coleman-inj

SILB- S.Bradley,[Lenon], R.Walker, C.Parker, Vasallo

WILB- D.Washington, R.Walker, Studiviant

OLB- Haggans, [Schofield], Groves, Thompson

CB- Peterson, Flemming, [Toler], Parker

CB- Gay, Jefferson, [Toler], Adams

FS- Rhodes, Sanders, Bethel

SS- Wilson, Johnson, Gideon, Elder

K- Feely
P- Zastudil
LS- Leach

A couple revisions...

6-Heap gets beat, not Colledge. Colledge pulls to kick out the outside defender, takes a bad angle, but still makes the block. Levi blocks down, but Heap can't cut off the outside linebacker who knifes in from the backside of the play causing Ryan Williams to stutter after which he is swallowed up.

12-This one is on Daryl Washington. Bradley is late getting across from the backside, but Washington takes on the lead blocker with his OUTSIDE arm thus pushing the play AWAY from his help inside. Washington HAS to take on the blocker with his INSIDE arm which pushes the running back towards his help.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Some real cry babies around here :)

Nothing wrong with the way Whiz handled Skelton last night.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some real cry babies around here :)

Nothing wrong with the way Whiz handled Skelton last night.

Certainly not crying about it but didn't understand it. Several people in this thread explained the reason for it very well.

I believe Skelton will be the starter and want him to get as much work as possible as he needs it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson