Heroes and Goats: SF@ARI

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took my seven-year-old son to the game. We arrived an hour early and cooked brats, ribs, and burgers in the Green Lot and threw the football. We sat on the tailgate and drank root beer and Fresh Squeezed IPA.

Then we went in and enjoyed a fantastic football game. The good thing about being a mediocre team (and that’s what the 2017 Arizona Cardinals are) is that the stakes are low. There’s nothing frustrating about trading field goals for four quarters, then getting marched on in overtime for seven-plus minutes. The crowd hid literally thousands of 49ers fans, but it was a friendly atmosphere for all.

And the Cards won when Larry Fitzgerald caught a touchdown pass right in front of our Section 125. My boy asked what the best Cardinal game I’ve ever been to was. In that moment, this was it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Corey Peters - I’ve given Peters a hard time since signing here two years ago, but he’s been the year’s most consistent and impactful member of the defensive line so far. He’s also playing nearly 70% of the defensive snaps — impressive for a nose tackle.

Andre Ellington - Let’s not fall all over ourselves quite yet. He caught less than 65% of his targets and rushed for just 3.6 YPC. On third down, Ellington had 1 reception on 3 targets and failed to achieve a first down.

Jermaine Gresham - “Chipping” doesn’t mean that he’s making contact with the defensive end; just altering the pass rusher’s angle of attack to make life easier for John Wetzel.

You must be registered for see images attach

Elijah Penny - I hope we’ve seen enough to decide that there’s no future for Penny as a running back or anything more than a fringe roster player. There’s nothing special about him.

Robert Nkemdiche - I don’t even know what to say about this weekday warrior.

D.J. Humphries - I blame millennials for not wanting to play unless they’re 100% healthy.

there's nothing like going to the game with my Dad, brothers and now, even my mom (who after 30 years, we FINALLY turned to rabid Cardinal fan). I cherish every moment, of every game with all of them, even the losses.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I brought up Ellington in another thread and remember I've been blasting him for 2 years as afraid of contact.

I think the drops hurt but people are overlooking the impact of that amazing 1 handed catch he had earlier. You have to watch that play from multiple angles to appreciate how good of a catch it was even though it was for a short gain. If you watch the right angle on the replay you see a defender, I think #24 coming up to pick that pass off and take it to the house for a TD, if Ellington doesn't get that ball either whiffs or tips it, that's a picksix. He was open but the throw was not good and he missed high and long and it was very likely going to be a picksix.

Add in the TD that I think Ellington had taken away from him on replay and he had a pretty big impact on the game for us.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I brought up Ellington in another thread and remember I've been blasting him for 2 years as afraid of contact.

I think the drops hurt but people are overlooking the impact of that amazing 1 handed catch he had earlier. You have to watch that play from multiple angles to appreciate how good of a catch it was even though it was for a short gain. If you watch the right angle on the replay you see a defender, I think #24 coming up to pick that pass off and take it to the house for a TD, if Ellington doesn't get that ball either whiffs or tips it, that's a picksix. He was open but the throw was not good and he missed high and long and it was very likely going to be a picksix.

Add in the TD that I think Ellington had taken away from him on replay and he had a pretty big impact on the game for us.
Well, he was a hero. But I’m not confident that we can rely on him to replace even 40% of the RB touches.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, he was a hero. But I’m not confident that we can rely on him to replace even 40% of the RB touches.

Agreed I actually asked in the other thread if it might make sense to see if there's any trade market for him now and sell high before he inevitably shows he's not that great.

I just wanted to agree with him as a hero, he had a TD taken away on a bad overturn, and he prevented a likely TD for them with that catch.

In game with very little offense, he was a big factor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard