Herm will be Back in 2022

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I do not think that things are going to stay the same for USC. The future is bright there. I wonder how much longer Whittingham will coach. Maybe he will hang it up if the Utes win the Rose Bowl. :)

Not Pac-12, but the Todd Graham controversy is interesting and kinda strange. Some player unhappiness, it seems.

All the coaching stuff in the Pac 12 is CRAZY

Herm coming back...

Riley to USC... (which lost to ASU.., sorry, just had to work that in...)

Washington's coach "hits" a player on the facemask, gets fired, UW hires new coach...from Fresno State...

UCLA, Chip stays...(after losing to ASU...)

Washington State's coach doesn't get vaccinated, and gets fired...

And now.... Cristobal bolts Oregon for Miami..... and Duck fans are talking like next year their team will be decimated... https://www.addictedtoquack.com/2021/12/6/22820570/report-the-cristobal-era-is-over-mario-to-miami

Its funny how fans seem to lose all perspective and think the sky is falling, the world is coming to an end for their team, etc. I know, I am one of them. But things seem to always level out, and basically stay the same.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do not think that things are going to stay the same for USC. The future is bright there. I wonder how much longer Whittingham will coach. Maybe he will hang it up if the Utes win the Rose Bowl. :)

Not Pac-12, but the Todd Graham controversy is interesting and kinda strange. Some player unhappiness, it seems.
Whittingham shows it takes years to build a solid program. I think he's been there 7 years or so and endured some seasons ASU fans would not tolerate for sure.

I read the SFgate.com article on Todd Graham. His treatment of his players is abusive and horrendous. What do the "at least Graham had integrity" folks say now?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read the SFgate.com article on Todd Graham. His treatment of his players is abusive and horrendous. What do the "at least Graham had integrity" folks say now?

I read the article too and it reminded me of when I went through Basic Training in 1972 - but those young men didn't join the army and this is not 1972. It's tough to see him hanging on to that job after those revelations.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I read Kyle Whittingham at Utah earns $4.1 million annually. For that much money I would be coaching a long time.

I understand he is 62.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU has two of the top 100 NFL offensive lineman draft prospects per Pro Football Focus for the 2022 draft.

BY WILLS RICE, Arizona Sports:

Pro Football Focus’ list of top 100 prospects for the 2022 NFL Draft features two Arizona State offensive linemen in tackle Kellen Diesch and guard/center Dohnovan West.

Diesch comes in first at No. 66 on the 2022 big board. The graduate student had the 18th-highest PFF grade for offensive tackles in Power Five conferences and second in the Pac-12 on the season.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ASU has two of the top 100 NFL offensive lineman draft prospects per Pro Football Focus for the 2022 draft.

BY WILLS RICE, Arizona Sports:

Pro Football Focus’ list of top 100 prospects for the 2022 NFL Draft features two Arizona State offensive linemen in tackle Kellen Diesch and guard/center Dohnovan West.

Diesch comes in first at No. 66 on the 2022 big board. The graduate student had the 18th-highest PFF grade for offensive tackles in Power Five conferences and second in the Pac-12 on the season.

Nice

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ASU recruiting is going to drop this year until the replacement for Edwards is in place. Recruits aren't going to commit when they know Herm isn't coming back in 2023 and they don't know who replacement will be. Unless they plan on naming Pierce HC and inform kids of that then I don't see a way to lure kids to Tempe but with Pierce being the focal point of NCAA investigation I think he won't be with ASU post Edwards.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU recruiting is going to drop this year until the replacement for Edwards is in place. Recruits aren't going to commit when they know Herm isn't coming back in 2023 and they don't know who replacement will be. Unless they plan on naming Pierce HC and inform kids of that then I don't see a way to lure kids to Tempe but with Pierce being the focal point of NCAA investigation I think he won't be with ASU post Edwards.
This is exactly why it is so bad to have a lame duck coach in the last year of his contract. The Cardinals could create the same situation with Kingsbury after this season.

Their ONLY chance at even close to a half ass class this year was to fire Edward's and hire a coach who could bring some kids with him. I have no clue that might have been but they should have tried. IMO.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is exactly why it is so bad to have a lame duck coach in the last year of his contract. The Cardinals could create the same situation with Kingsbury after this season.

Their ONLY chance at even close to a half ass class this year was to fire Edward's and hire a coach who could bring some kids with him. I have no clue that might have been but they should have tried. IMO.
It's not something I know a lot about but is this really as big of a deal as it used to be? I would have thought the transfer portal rules would have made it much less of a problem.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not something I know a lot about but is this really as big of a deal as it used to be? I would have thought the transfer portal rules would have made it much less of a problem.
Well, it is a new world and I guess it remains to be seen. But, I know I am not very impressed with what they have gotten from the transfer portal so far. The fact that Herm says we need 12 more transfers....ugh.

ASU is a Division I program and this is the situation they are in. I cannot think of another power 5 program that is having to try and pull in 18 to 20 transfers this year.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, it is a new world and I guess it remains to be seen. But, I know I am not very impressed with what they have gotten from the transfer portal so far. The fact that Herm says we need 12 more transfers....ugh.

ASU is a Division I program and this is the situation they are in. I cannot think of another power 5 program that is having to try and pull in 18 to 20 transfers this year.
The word is Michigan St pulled in a bunch of transfers last year and rebuilt their team via that channel. That is not me saying this is no problem just some of the things being said. I also don’t know how many.

Quality is more important than quantity obviously. I do think this new era we are in could allow for quick rebuilds/reloads but that is certainly not the way to long term success.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The problem with the transfer portal is it's like recruiting. The impact transfers are going to the national title contenders (LSU AA Eli Ricks is transferring to ALA for example) so its not like ASU is getting the cream of the crop. They are getting the equivalent to 2 star HS recruits while losing potential impact kids like Johnny Wilson and DeaMontre Trayanum to FSU & OSU.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The problem with the transfer portal is it's like recruiting. The impact transfers are going to the national title contenders (LSU AA Eli Ricks is transferring to ALA for example) so its not like ASU is getting the cream of the crop. They are getting the equivalent to 2 star HS recruits while losing potential impact kids like Johnny Wilson and DeaMontre Trayanum to FSU & OSU.
Yup. For ASU that avenue isn’t for rebuilding, it’s for backfilling lost talent to higher tier schools using the devils roster to rebuild portions of their programs.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I find the Wilson thing interesting and not in a good way. Why did he really transfer since he certainly wasn’t going home or anything like that. I wonder (worry) if this is maybe an indictment of Daniels and Wilson just not believing Daniels is good enough to get him there touches to get to the NFL.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I find the Wilson thing interesting and not in a good way. Why did he really transfer since he certainly wasn’t going home or anything like that. I wonder (worry) if this is maybe an indictment of Daniels and Wilson just not believing Daniels is good enough to get him there touches to get to the NFL.

I don't know about all that. He had a lot of drops last year, and was ripped up here pretty regularly. See comments here: https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/asu-21-usc.374805/page-5#post-4328531

He was having a better year this year, but injured his hamstring against Colorado. I don't recall him playing after that, he didn't have any receptions at least. Hamstring injuries are usually not season enders. So there may be some other explanation on why he didn't get any more playing time, I really don't know. But no playing time means transfer these days.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Linebacker Eric Gentry is the first consensus Freshman All-American at ASU since 2018.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stealing Alabama talent in backup QB and Bear Bryants great grandson, Paul Tyson. Nice. Anyone but Daniels at this point, please.

DesertDevil

Reaction score

Herm bringing in another name in SB winning HC Brian Billick as offensive analyst. Maybe a little to late.
Hard to see anything moving the needle for this team until they're able to develop their talent internally and stop having to rely on the transfer portal. But maybe I'm just a pessimist.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The interim tag has been removed "interim" tag on coaches Bobby Wade and Juston Wood.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More from SunDevilSource.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Glenn has NFL experience spending time with ATL and Matt Ryan but UNLV the last 2 years he was OC was 119th in country in total offense out of 130 teams.