Heat at Suns 8:00ET ESPN FSN AZ

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Shawn Marion was a fan favorite in Phoenix for many years, a stalwart of the run-and-gun Suns teams that were perennial playoff contenders.But his return to Phoenix will be overshadowed by a 7-foot-1 guy who, well, overshadows just about everything.

When Marion and the Miami Heat visit the Suns on Friday night, it'll be the first time Shaquille O'Neal sees the Heat since the trade that brought closure to a rapidly decaying relationship toward the end of last season. O'Neal says it's just another game, but even some of his current teammates aren't buying that story.So get ready for Shaq-Miami I.

"The type of person Shaq is and the pride he has, I'm sure he didn't feel like he was getting the benefit of the doubt down there at the end of the day," Suns guard Raja Bell said. "He has something to prove to the league and Miami. So I wouldn't expect much less than Shaq coming out early and dominating."Odds are, Suns fans will be thrilled to see Marion.Most Heat players, though, seem ambivalent to seeing Shaq again.

He doesn't keep in regular contact with most players on Miami's roster -- in fairness, he played with only a handful of them -- and Dwyane Wade and Udonis Haslem are the only Heat starters remaining from the 2006 NBA title team, the highlight of Shaq's 3 1/2 seasons in South Florida.And even Shaq acknowledges that he doesn't speak with Wade anymore.

"I've been watching Shaq since I was 5 years old, since he was breaking backboards in Orlando," Heat rookie Michael Beasley said. "It's special. It's like meeting Michael Jordan, almost. I guess it's something. I think there's going to be animosity, good competitiveness. I think it's going to be a real good game. I just hope I don't have to take a charge against him."No, that duty will likely go to Haslem, the league's smallest starting center, who's only half a foot and 100 pounds smaller than O'Neal.Still, somehow, Haslem is maybe the happiest Heat player to see O'Neal.

"I'm just looking forward to seeing him, period, not just the challenge," Haslem said. "We had a good run together. There's much love there between me and him. But other than that, I'm approaching it like any other game. Nothing special about it."If past stats are any indication, O'Neal could be primed for a big night. In his first games against the Orlando Magic and Los Angeles Lakers after leaving those two franchises, he averaged 24.5 points and 14.5 rebounds.His breakups there were filled with rancor: O'Neal had some particularly sharp words for former star teammate Penny Hardaway with the Magic after departing central Florida, and by now, everyone who follows the NBA is acutely aware of the neverending saga starring Shaq, Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson in O'Neal's post-Lakers era.

But for whatever reason, O'Neal's departure from Miami hasn't brought the same verbal venom. Sure, there were a few Shaq cracks -- calling Wade "wonderboy," laying some of the blame for his 2007-08 struggles on Ricky Davis and Chris Quinn (who said he wasn't bothered), and blaming the Heat medical staff for his constant ailments -- but as far as NBA divorces go, it's been relatively tame."Just a regular game. There's no hard feelings," O'Neal said Wednesday night in Minnesota. "They can get hot. We know they have a lot of shooters and we know how they play, but it's just another game. ... I feel good about it. Good people. Business is business. I've been a businessman since '92 and I don't take anything personal. It's cool. I'm good. Everything's good."Marion feels the same way.O'Neal largely forced Miami's hand into making a trade last year, even asking for a buyout of the remaining 2 1/2 years of his $20-million-a-season deal. But Marion was quite content in Phoenix, which fancied itself as a championship contender.

"I love the fans in Phoenix. I had a great 8 1/2 years there," Marion said. "I was sad to go. I think it was sad for me to go. But it is what it is. It's a business, we'll go there and we'll try to get a win."Marion averaged 18.4 points in 660 games with the Suns, was part of six playoff appearances and went to four All-Star games wearing Phoenix colors."He's had one of the greatest Suns careers of all time," Phoenix guard Steve Nash said. "I'd imagine he's going to have a great ovation. If he doesn't, I'll be extremely disappointed."Chances are, Marion will be received a bit better in this game than when O'Neal returns to Miami in March."Boo me," O'Neal said. "You can't hurt my feelings because my feelings don't get hurt. Because I don't have any feelings. I'm a martian."

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/preview?gameId=281128021

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Breaking news...

Nash not playing tonight, bruised right thigh

OK, that sucks but it will be good test and benchmark for our backup PGs. Hopefully Hill/Singletary/Dragic (if he plays) will do a good job with ball handling in Nash's absence.
I suspect turnover is going to be our problem, especially with Marion in the lineup.

Last edited:

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
Crappy start already. No Nash. 3 turnovers in just 4 possesions.

Gonna be a loonngg night...

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Suns with 3 turnovers on the first 4 possessions, each one while trying to lob the ball inside to Shaq.

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
4 Turnovers!!!!

Wtf Get Your Head Of Your $@#

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
I didn't know it was so hard to pass a ball to a 7'1" center...

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
6 turnovers in 7 minutes. Without Nash, this team still has no idea how to run their offense. On defense, we already gave up 21 points with 5 minutes left in the first quarter.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Have they really ever worked on feeding the post in pratices? A simple fronting against Shaq and we can't do anything but turnover?

They should go to the post every time even with Nash in to work on it! Otherwise, it's a 1st round exit even if we get to postseason, how good Nash dribbles!

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
What a horrible start of the game ... Amare got effected by the stupid ESPN article? ...

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
Down 17.
The midget front court is out-rebounding us like crazy.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Ok...really bad start, but this is the Heat and the Suns can start playing better as of right now...

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's amazing we are only down by 13 at this point. This team looks like it has never practiced together.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugh. Suns down 19-32 after the 1st quarter. :(

The Suns shooting 44% with 1/5 3 pointers, the Heat 52% with 2/3 3 pointers. :( The Suns have committed 8 turnovers. :rolleyes:

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Amare just needs to freaking dominate, plain and simple. Give him the ball and Amare....you gotta just go paint crazy, drive it in.

cly2tw

Reaction score
So far, we have witnessed that Suns have no preparation to get Shaq or Amare into good positions for passes. No 2nd option or 3rd in plan other than Nash improvisation. No wonder, Amare is not motivated.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Seriously? You are a professional basketball team...play like it, take care of the ball...