Has Technology really slowed down :(

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've noticed that processor speed increases has slowed down a lot lately. Technology used to double every two years and that has not been the case for consumer computers lately. It really sucks :( I like it when they push the envelope, I don't think games are doing that much either. They had a 3GHZ computer last year about this time they should have more than a 4GHZ or greater (probably a lot better than that )computer out by now. What's up with the slow down? Why aren't gamses pushing the envelope either? I remember in the good old day of Wing Commander when a game would come out and you had to have one of the fastest computers to play it and they would always push to see how great they could make the game in regards to technology...

Maybe the game consoles are slowing things down so that software can be sold on all platforms? (Consoles only get upgraded around every five years usually)

Any ideas?!

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well for one, I'd say delays in the cutting-edge anticipated games.

I'm not a gamer, but 3 games hooked me: Doom, Doom2 and Half-Life.

The Doom 3 and next Half-Life are supposed to be incredible if you believe the hype, but both have been delayed. Maybe one will come out by Xmas, who knows?

As far as processor speed, yeah it has slowed slightly, but like mentioned above there needs to be a CPU-hogging app to encourage quicker rollout of faster chips. Right now, it seems that internet connectivitiy is WAY behind processors.

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know if Pentium would slow down production due to computer games. If that were true Pentium should probably buy their own computer game company and try to push the evenlope on games and take advantage of all that the pentium has to offer.

Actually I think they make as much from businesses. It might be a little bit more difficult to find ways to make appilcation for businesses that would **** the envelope.

I read an article in a computer magazine at the dentist they they have a high speed internet conection that is like 1,000 times fast than a cable modem :eek: You can down load a movie in a minute. Didn't understand all the techno stuff but right now they don't have a way to give it to the masses but they're working on it.

I'm pretty happy with my internet speed. The only reason why I need it faster is so I can download movies and tv shows that I shouldn't be legally watching anyways. I could see the media industry not like it because of that reason though...

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Intel could probably go to 5MHz pretty quick but it takes development money and demand from the consumer.

PC sales are down as has been the economy as a whole. Technology is driven as much or more by economics, software, and marketing than hardware development.

A big problem technology wise is the processor is not the performance bottleneck in computers. Storage technology has to catch up. If you put a 5MHz CPU in your current computer it would not make a big difference. Faster hard drives and perphrials / expansion (PCI) bus speeds are really needed to make the performance increase noticably.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard