Guys I wish the Cards would interview for HC

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
If Bidwill is going to do his "due diligence", he should be looking at more candidates including these 5 coaches. Teams like Philly and Chicago have reportedly interviewed about 13 candidates. Take your time and get the right guy.

1) Josh McDaniels- he was in a terrible situation in Denver and never really had a chance. He comes from an excellent coaching background. I think it speaks volumes that Belichick brought him back as OC. From NFL.com
Josh McDaniels was named New England Patriots offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach for the 2012 season after he re-joined the Patriots coaching staff in January 2012 as an offensive assistant. The 2012 season will be McDaniels' ninth season with the Patriots and his fourth as the team's offensive coordinator. During McDaniels' first season in Denver, QB Kyle Orton set career highs for pass attempts, completions, passing yards, touchdown passes and passer rating while tying his career low for interceptions. Orton's 3,802 yards were the sixth highest for a season in Broncos history. In 2010, the Broncos ranked seventh in the NFL in passing yards per game and finished 13th in total yards per game. WR Brandon Lloyd led the NFL in receiving yards with 1,448 and finished second in the AFC with 11 touchdown catches en route to his first Pro Bowl invitation.

2) Tom Clement-he's been with GB since 2006 and they have always had an excellent offense. Granted, he's had alot of talent but he's been successful and is a former QB. From NFL.com:
Possesses 20 years of coaching experience, including two seasons as an NFL offensive coordinator.
Has been instrumental in the development of QB Aaron Rodgers, who set an NFL record with a 122.5 passer rating in 2011 and also set franchise records for TD passes (45), passing yards (4,643), completion percentage (68.3), yards per attempt (9.25), TD/INT ratio (7.50) and 300-yard games (eight) on his way to earning NFL Most Valuable Player honors from The Associated Press.
Prior to Green Bay, spent 10 seasons coaching quarterbacks under some of the game’s most successful coaches, including Bill Cowher, Mike Ditka and Lou Holtz.

3) Pete Carmichael- Why not tap into the league's best passing offense. They also run the ball much more effectively than I realized. from NFL.com:
Pete Carmichael is in his fourth season as the Saints’ offensive coordinator after tutoring the club’s quarterbacks the previous three years. Throughout this time he has been a key figure in the planning and preparations of an offensive attack that has been ranked first in the NFL in yardage in four of the last six seasons, while leading the league in scoring in 2008 and 2009.

4) Dirk Koetter- He's been a HC at the college level and now is leading the Falcons offense to the NFC Champoinship. Mike Smith is a defensive minded coach so the offense is all pretty much Koetters'. From NFL.com:
Known for his expertise in the passing game, During the 2010 campaign, Koetter led an offense that saw RB Maurice Jones-Drew lead the NFL in rushing with 1,606 yards on 343 carries. In five seasons in Jacksonville, he coached four different players to the six Pro Bowl selections, including Jones-Drew who earned three trips to the Pro Bowl.
Through Koetter’s first four years with the Jaguars the team’s offense ranks 13th in the NFL in total yards (338.6 per game), sixth in rushing (134.2), fifth in third-down conversions (43.0%), fifth in average per rush (4.5), ninth in fewest giveaways (101) and fifth with only 52 interceptions thrown.

5) Rick Dennison- he can bring Houston's running attack(and maybe Ben Tate), the best in the league, to Arizona. He's been around a long time. From NFL.com:
Houston’s offense has become synonymous with success in the run game since Dennison joined the staff in January 2010. Houston ranks fourth in the NFL with 140.3 rushing yards per game, is tied for the NFL lead with 38 combined rushing touchdowns and has set franchise rushing records in consecutive years in Dennison’s first two seasons running the offense.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Mcdaniels has already stated he will take no interviews and wants to stay in NE, the local media here is thinking he will take over for bellichick when he retires.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I agree! We dilly dally each time to the point that I can't help but think it is a way of being cheap. Wait till all the other team's fill their H.C. jobs, and then we can get who is left on the cheap.

I get tired of us waiting till the best are taken and then we have a press conference to announce that we got the guy we really wanted all the time. Ha ha. That is getting old.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Mcdaniels has already stated he will take no interviews and wants to stay in NE, the local media here is thinking he will take over for bellichick when he retires.
Money talks, he'd listen.

They just paid Keim 750K, the Cards are big budget :D.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Hell, I would love them to bring in San Fran's offensive coordinator for an interview as well despite rumblings he may not be a great head coach.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'd think twice before bringing in offensive coordinators from teams that have offensive head coaches. Maybe not cross them off your list altogether, but at least think twice. Those guys tend to not necessarily be ready for the organizational responsibilities that come with sudden independence.

It's not a hard-and-fast rule, of course. The guys from the Holmgren tree seemed to all hit the ground running once they were promoted out of Green Bay. It's definitely worth having the conversation, but if we're looking to have a co-head coach, offense with Horton (and that's certainly the way that it seems to be going), you may want a guy that has called his own plays, designed his own schemes, etc.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Nice work Cbus. They all have something to offer.

The Texans guy is intruiging. Especially if he has a good OC who can handle and develop young QB's. That's a key any more.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Bidwill is going to do his "due diligence", he should be looking at more candidates including these 5 coaches. Teams like Philly and Chicago have reportedly interviewed about 13 candidates. Take your time and get the right guy.

Hell, I would love them to bring in San Fran's offensive coordinator for an interview as well despite rumblings he may not be a great head coach.

Greg Roman?

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/greg-roman-hc-190247.html

I'd think twice before bringing in offensive coordinators from teams that have offensive head coaches. Maybe not cross them off your list altogether, but at least think twice. Those guys tend to not necessarily be ready for the organizational responsibilities that come with sudden independence.

It's not a hard-and-fast rule, of course. The guys from the Holmgren tree seemed to all hit the ground running once they were promoted out of Green Bay. It's definitely worth having the conversation, but if we're looking to have a co-head coach, offense with Horton (and that's certainly the way that it seems to be going), you may want a guy that has called his own plays, designed his own schemes, etc.

i.e. Joe Philbin whose 1st year out from under McCarthy was mediocre/boring at best.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Devil's Advocate - Couldn't a case be made that a young OC could learn a lot under the wing of a strong offensive-minded HC?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Lovie smith for years has generated great D with horrid offense. You would be hiring exactly what we just fired.

Not really. You would hiring a successful defensive head coach who has had a dominant defense vs. an inconsistant offensive head coach with a successful defensive coordinator. Big difference.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Devil's Advocate - Couldn't a case be made that a young OC could learn a lot under the wing of a strong offensive-minded HC?

I guess you could make that case, but I'd put up the head coaching tenures of Todd Haley (Ken Whisenhunt), Pat Shurmur and Brad Childress (Andy Reid), Mike Tice (Brian Billick), Bill Callahan (Jon Gruden), and Marty Morhningweg (Steve Mariucci[?]) as evidence against that case.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gotta ask this:

Why isn't Jon Gruden in play (either as a OC or HC)?

Is it because he likes his TV gig too much? Is it because he doesn't want to usurp his brother's coaching opportunities? Is he considered "done" by the pro football establishment? Or what?

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Gotta ask this:

Why isn't Jon Gruden in play (either as a OC or HC)?

Is it because he likes his TV gig too much? Is it because he doesn't want to usurp his brother's coaching opportunities? Is he considered "done" by the pro football establishment? Or what?

He is interested. Every year he puts out feelers. I suspect he wants ALL of the following:

--Winning organization
--Franchise QB in-house already
--Total Personnel control
--Monster money

And all of this in one of a handful of cities where he wants to live. I think until that situation comes along, he is happy in the booth.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
1. Parcells

2. Holmgren

3. Cower

4. OC for Houston

5. John Madden

6. Don Shula

7. Jimmy Johnson

8. Tony Dungy

9. Marty Schottenheimer

10. Joe Gibbs

I like this game. Who else can we not get to pick up the phone when we call???

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess you could make that case, but I'd put up the head coaching tenures of Todd Haley (Ken Whisenhunt), Pat Shurmur and Brad Childress (Andy Reid), Mike Tice (Brian Billick), Bill Callahan (Jon Gruden), and Marty Morhningweg (Steve Mariucci[?]) as evidence against that case.
How about Bill Walsh's disciples - D Green and B Billick? How about Don Coryell's protogee, Joe Gibbs?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
How about Bill Walsh's disciples - D Green and B Billick? How about Don Coryell's protogee, Joe Gibbs?

Well, I made the exception for the Holmgren/Walsh tree, but that's a bit of an aging sequoia, isn't it?

You can also say the same thing about the defensive side of the ball--Romeo Crennel (Bill Belichek) and a whole bunch of Monty Kiffin disciples (although Tony Dungy is an exception). Just off the top of my head.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson