Great Interview with Kenyan Drake On NBC Sports About What Clicked In Arizona

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
No doubt trading DJ will take some ingenuity. If we cut DJ it is a 16m hit. If we keep DJ he cost us 10m ( I believe). We would have to redo his contract in cooperation with his new potential team. We turn 1/2 of his contract to a 5 m signing bonus, 5 million dollar salary. We would then eat this years bonus (5m) the accelerated bonus of his last contract (6m) for a total cost of 11m cap hit. We may have to throw in a 6 th round pick. The new team would then be on the hook for 5m. I think there are teams out there ( Tampa) that would consider that a deal.

it’s not an ideal scenario but it would save us 6 m this year. Ultimately I think DJ remains on this team in 2020.

caveat: somebody please correct me on the contract redo for DJ. I believe it would work that way but please correct me if I’m wrong.

I am assuming that the numbers you presented here cover 2020 only. Wouldn't that still put the other team on the hook for his 2021 salary which according to Spotrac is $12 million? Granted the cap hit for 2021 is only $3 million per Spotrac.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
He does mention it's about scheme and fit, not only money.

in all likelihood, this will be his only shot at big, guaranteed money.

i think if the Cards were going to throw $ around at the RB spot, he would be extended all ready.

KD might take a couple hundred thousand less from the Cards, but he isnt taking materially less.

it will be interesting to see.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
DJ does not work in this
My thoughts:

While David Johnson isnt hitting the edge as hard as Drake, nor cutting with the same determination, he is still a significantly better receiver than Drake.

I'm also not convinced that Edmonds couldn't produce similar rushing numbers. Drake is a better receiver, but Edmonds is close as a runner.

Drake is very much coming off as someone who will jump even for $500k more. A 2nd round or later RB will cost significantly less than the $7 million Drake might get. Drake should be appealing to RB needy teams because he clearly demonstrated his capabilities down the stretch and he doesnt have the wear and tear of the other FA backs.

I think any runningback has to jump at even 200k more because that second contract is the last one they are going to get unless they are a freak of nature but there are not that many Adrian Petersons out there. Drake can still love playing for the Cardinals and be a great guy while facing reality and his financial opportunity. I think the Cardinals can realistically be a playoff contender next season but do not see them winning any Super Bowl because the talent dirge is just too much for them, meaning they really have another season to reload and then dumping DJ and having Drake makes sense when we can go for the ultimate objective :)