Go Titans, Bears, Jets and Giants!!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sure am. Fans on a message board have takes. I'm not going to sit around and say, "Well, I can't KNOW for SURE, so I'm not allowed to have an opinion." Was it absolutely, positively known? No. Was it commonly thought around the league that he turned down early offers? Yes. I'm not going to be in the "give Monti the benefit of the doubt 100 percent of the time" camp. He's done well in some spots, badly in others. Grade incomplete, but he needs to stop the major blunders--and those aren't rumors.
This is where some of us steeply diverge.

I don't judge GMs based on "rumors". It's nonsensical to do so because there is no evidence to back up whether it's true or not.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I don't judge GMs based on "rumors". It's nonsensical to do so because there is no evidence to back up whether it's true or not.
There is the fact that he couldn't find a trade partner over the course of like three months. Can we judge him for that?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Then half your takes on this board are nonsense because you can't know the truth about most of it *shrug* It's a message board. It's rife with speculation--pretty solid speculation on this one. But go on and judge him by his list of known mistakes this past offseason, and he doesn't come off smelling like roses.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There is the fact that he couldn't find a trade partner over the course of like three months. Can we judge him for that?
Sure, but as long as we're rumoring, wasn't it posited that Hop was looking for WAY too high an extension that may have run suitors off? Who knows. I guess I just try to find my happiness in any particular moment, rather than look back and wonder what could have been. Its more fun to look forward and say what if.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Can we?

Hopkins could only find one team when there was no trade compensation involved.

Teams weren't even returning his calls. That is an important part of the equation.

Stout

Reaction score
Can we?

Hopkins could only find one team when there was no trade compensation involved.

Teams weren't even returning his calls. That is an important part of the equation.
After the teams had already spent their cap is what some folks keep ignoring. That's how long Monti dithered.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
After the teams had already spent their cap is what some folks keep ignoring. That's how long Monti dithered.

It was public that Hopkins wanted to be traded or there was talk that he could be traded in January. WAY before free agency started.

Does anyone have an article that states Monti waited until after free agency to talk to teams about Hopkins?

Pure speculation on what Monti was thinking or doing behind the scenes.

What we do know - people knew Hopkins was available in January. When the Cardinals released him, teams wouldn't even call Hopkins back.

Based on the facts above - doesn't seem like there was a market for Hopkins and certainly not at his contract number.

Stout

Reaction score
It was public that Hopkins wanted to be traded or there was talk that he could be traded in January. WAY before free agency started.

Does anyone have an article that states Monti waited until after free agency to talk to teams about Hopkins?

Pure speculation on what Monti was thinking or doing behind the scenes.

What we do know - people knew Hopkins was available in January. When the Cardinals released him, teams wouldn't even call Hopkins back.

Based on the facts above - doesn't seem like there was a market for Hopkins and certainly not at his contract number.

You're stating teams wouldn't return Hop's calls--after they had already spent their cap money. That's all I was saying. People keep saying the former while forgetting the latter. It was widely rumored Monti was holding out for more in a trade than what teams were offering, which ultimately led to the cut.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
After the teams had already spent their cap is what some folks keep ignoring.
but also: when has the salary cap stopped a team from doing something they really wanted to do?

Hops cap number this year is $3.8mm.

take the Chiefs: they could have easily converted some portion of Travis Kelce's salary to bonus, created $8mm-$9mm in cap space and signed Hopkins. They choose not to, even when no draft pick comp was involved.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This type of posturing is throughout this whole site - Cards Forum, Suns, Movies, TV Shows, P+R, Mercury and Rattlers, etc......well maybe not so much the last two, Lol. But everyone is special and so smart and wants attention at the expense the of others.
Some people have really uninformed opinions. And they argue them vehemently. In order to have a more knowledgeable board, they should be highlighted.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson