Gameface (2007) - Chaplin's film

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Congrats Chap and hope the movie does very well. Maybe in the future you can hook up with other UofA guys, like Greg Kinnear.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey chap, if you remember, PM cheese and me. we'll go if we're reminded. congrats man!

You guys going to make it?

My wife and I will be there. Bought the tix online weeks ago.

Hey, Chap - can you reserve the middle two seats in the front row? :jedi:

Seriously - where is a good (safe) place to park in North Hollywood? :D

BIM

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You guys going to make it?

My wife and I will be there. Bought the tix online weeks ago.

Hey, Chap - can you reserve the middle two seats in the front row? :jedi:

Seriously - where is a good (safe) place to park in North Hollywood? :D

BIM

It's not in North Hollywood, it's in West Hollywood. Parking sucks, but there is a big garage underneath the building--it's in the same complex as the Virgin Megastore at Crescent Heights and Sunset Blvd., caddy-corner across the street from Chateau Marmont. There is street parking, but I highly recommend against using it. But there should be plenty of parking in the garage underneath.

Cool that you're going to make it BIM! You'll know who I am when I go on stage after the show for the Q&A session...

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not in North Hollywood, it's in West Hollywood. Parking sucks, but there is a big garage underneath the building--it's in the same complex as the Virgin Megastore at Crescent Heights and Sunset Blvd., caddy-corner across the street from Chateau Marmont. There is street parking, but I highly recommend against using it. But there should be plenty of parking in the garage underneath.

Cool that you're going to make it BIM! You'll know who I am when I go on stage after the show for the Q&A session...

:thumbup:

See you there.

I've got another Suns "care package" to bring to you. LOL :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
chap - can you post the link for tix again? me and ouchie still need to get 'em.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
chap - can you post the link for tix again? me and ouchie still need to get 'em.

www.danceswithfilms.com

There's a link on that page that says "Schedule & Tickets". Just click that and go to Sunday, 7:15pm, you'll see "Gameface". Just click the little ticket graphic there.

A couple things: Earlier today, a friend called me and told me the ticket system was down. Again. Very frustrating. But it shouldn't be down too long (if it still is). Also, we have sold about 100 tickets for it so far, so there are plenty remaining--even if you wait until day-of and buy them at the box office.

The festival opening party is actually in an hour and a half from now at the Standard, but I'll probably stop by the theater and buy a few tickets myself for people that are having trouble getting them themselves.

Hope to see you guys there!

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
A note for the "Cool" files. Apparently, Quentin Tarantino might be showing up to some of the screenings... Which is really cool, since my film would probably be something he'd be interested in, what with the big music presence.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Chaplin, I wanted to check out the trailer but the youtube link is down.
Anywhere else to see it?

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A note for the "Cool" files. Apparently, Quentin Tarantino might be showing up to some of the screenings... Which is really cool, since my film would probably be something he'd be interested in, what with the big music presence.

:rockon:

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would also like to view the trailer. All the links posted in this thread seem to be down.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Tonight's the night! Thank goodness this board is an outlet for my nerves!

Anyway, looking forward to seeing Ouchie, cheese and BIM this evening, and maybe even Eric... Thanks for the support!

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's going to be great! I hope it goes perfectly for you!

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I feel cheated! like 6 freakin years Ive known Chaplin, the whole time thinking he was just a writer, and envisioning him sitting in front of his laptop with massive bouts of writers block thus allowing him the ability to post here more than anyone should be allowed to, and now I find out that he's earned a producer credit (im also curious to know how one does that, just raising finds and stuff?), and he edits too!

What a ripoff! I wanna know what happened!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
still no update
?

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously...we've been waiting here.

Also, should we change the name of this thread?

Will Brian do that once he starts 'Moderating' again? :)

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
All right, so here goes...

The premiere went extremely well. The theater holds about 280 people and we had about 230 or 240 show up. Got a great response by the crowd--they laughed at a lot of parts we didn't expect. Although to be fair, after you've seen the movie 250 times, some of the stuff isn't as funny anymore.

Anyway, there was a Q&A session afterwards and that went really well also, even though it was barely 5 minutes long. One of the founders who was actually conducting the Q&A didn't want to stop, but there was another film after ours that they needed to get seated.

All in all, a very strong showing and a great validation. It also helps that it premiered at quite possibly the #1 independent movie theater in Los Angeles.

A couple cool things happened afterward:

1) A rep from the Wine Country Film Festival was at the screening and said she loved the movie--so hopefully we might make a trip up to Napa to see the film!

2) There was also a distributor in the audience who loved the film as well and requested a screener of it. This is our best sign of an ability to actually sell the film--probably overseas with this distributor, but it's nice to get recognized by the biz.

3) One of the judges was overheard as he walked out of the theater as saying that out of the 12 films or so he's seen this year, ours was the best. We don't have a lot of expectations about awards--there's an audience award and a jury award, and we expect to be considered, but we probably won't win--our budget is just too low and the film still is rough around the edges--at least, to me it is. BIM could probably provide a better review of it from a spectator point of view.

Afterward, it was Bar Marmont, next to Chateau Marmont, where celebrities go to die. It was most famous for where John Belushi died from an overdose. The bar itself was very nice and posh inside, and a lot of people from the audience, mostly friends and the actors, came over and had a great time. Then at about 1:30 we all drove over to Fred's 62, a diner/restaurant in Los Feliz, and then finally went to bed around 4am.

So it was a crazy night, but I'll tell you, Monday was a little underwhelming. You spend so long on something and have this anticipation for a month and a half, and you're like, "what now?" So that's where I'm at: "What Now?" I hope to find some freelance work doing some shorts as we prep more features, but I'm not sure what the future holds.

Thanks to BIM for coming out, and thanks to all you guys for your support!
Chap

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard