Gameface (2007) - Chaplin's film

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chap, have you not contacted Dan Harkins yet? He can be kind of a downer, but he's the only guy with the interest and ability of supporting independent film in this town.

If you can get an Arizona showing, I can hook you up with the Republic contacts. Maybe a free showing ... just to grab someone's attention.

That's awesome. Next week, I'll try to figure out how to get in contact with him over there. I don't care about tickets, it can be a free showing or whatever--the theater can keep the proceeds from ticket sales for all I care.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Really well.

Very nice turnout for the film. With some festivals you end up with only cast members, their friends, and a few walkups as an audience. This seemed to be a crowd much bigger than that.

It was great to see Chap "in his element." I know it was a big night for him.

Gameface

I really liked the film. It has a great feel to it and delivers a captivating story. You want to see where it leads and find yourself caring about the characters. I did find myself second-guessing some of the plot direction, but without it ... certain scenes (memorable scenes) would not have been possible.

I left the theater pondering several lines of dialogue and scenes between actors/actresses...and humming to some of the music still playing over and over in my head.

The thing that made the entire experience even greater was the Q-n-A. Chap is not kidding about the post-film reactions. One of the DWF people had to clear her throat and point at her watch to stop the discussion.

Can't wait to see what happens in the future for this film and Chap of course.

So glad we made the trip. :thumbup:

Congrats, MB !! :jedi:

Thanks BIM. It meant a lot that you and your better half came out, and thanks so much for the very kind words.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chap, I love that idea of getting Dan Harkins to show it or something. Camelview would be a perfect place.

If you got it showed out there, I think you'd get a mob of ASFN-ers showing up :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes me want to call Dan Harkins myself. :)

I really want to see it now.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone do something to get this going.

Maybe I could do something, but I just don't know what. I wish I had contacts.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have no idea where to start, so it will take some research on my part (or if one of you guys find something, forwarding that info would be great).

Gaddabout is starting the process of letting local media know (like the Republic), which is very cool, although I doubt the paper could do anything about getting the movie screened in Phoenix.

Tonight is the awards ceremony for the festival, so we'll see if I'm an award-winner tomorrow! We probably won't win, but it's nice to think that we are at least in the running. There is an audience award and a jury award, so we'll see what happens.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Congrats! Glad to hear it went well. I'd definitely go watch it if you can get it played here in Phx.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes me want to call Dan Harkins myself. :)

I really want to see it now.

Speaking of Harkins......I used to work with Vaughn Harkins who is Dan's sister for about 4 years. I was really good friends with her. She used to give me all kinds of free VIP (unrestricted) passes all the time. I got to meet Dan as well.

He was always trying to get her to work in the family business but she always balked at it and only helped occasionally at some of the theaters.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight is the awards ceremony for the festival, so we'll see if I'm an award-winner tomorrow! We probably won't win, but it's nice to think that we are at least in the running. There is an audience award and a jury award, so we'll see what happens.

Good luck, Chap, Jim, etc. !!

:jedi:

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well, it's 1:45am and I just got back from the ceremony/party, which was a lot of fun, got to network a lot with the filmmakers from the festival.

Sadly, Gameface didn't win either award and was not an honorable mention. The honorable mention for the Jury prize, The Last Magic Show, was a great film, and was our pick to win the whole thing (the winner was a film we never got to see).

But hey, we world premiered at the Laemmle on Sunset, the premiere indie theater in Los Angeles! It will take a lot to top Sunday night's screening and after party. Quite a ride.

Now it's time to get this thing out there some more!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Harkins......I used to work with Vaughn Harkins who is Dan's sister for about 4 years. I was really good friends with her. She used to give me all kinds of free VIP (unrestricted) passes all the time. I got to meat Dan as well.

He was always trying to get her to work in the family business but she always balked at it and only helped occasionally at some of the theaters.

During high school, I worked at the Centerpoint on Mill Ave. It was the biggest theatre at the time not Cine Capri, before all of the multiplexes became popular. I actually met Dan as well when I was interviewed to be in management shortly after high school. I turned it down, as I knew I was going to the Navy.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
During high school, I worked at the Centerpoint on Mill Ave. It was the biggest theatre at the time not Cine Capri, before all of the multiplexes became popular. I actually met Dan as well when I was interviewed to be in management shortly after high school. I turned it down, as I knew I was going to the Navy.
Last time we went to Centerpoint, after we bought the tickets, we decided we didn't want to see the movie. So my wife pretended to be sick, and we got them to refund our tickets. Awesome.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.scottsdalefilmfestival.com/

Films are shown in October...at Harkins Camelview and Harkins Fashion Square. :cool:

There are other festivals in Sedona and one in Casa Grande. One isn't until Feb and I am not sure of the other.

I'll keep looking.

MB - Sorry the film didn't "win," but I'm very happy for all involved with Gameface. The premiere was great as was the Q-n-A and the positive comments I heard from other people in the audience. :thumbup:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.scottsdalefilmfestival.com/

Films are shown in October...at Harkins Camelview and Harkins Fashion Square. :cool:

There are other festivals in Sedona and one in Casa Grande. One isn't until Feb and I am not sure of the other.

I'll keep looking.

MB - Sorry the film didn't "win," but I'm very happy for all involved with Gameface. The premiere was great as was the Q-n-A and the positive comments I heard from other people in the audience. :thumbup:

I'm kind of jealous of you BIM.

I wish we would have gone to LA after our vacation to catch this...but that's just too much travel for our little family. :(

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of jealous of you BIM.

I wish we would have gone to LA after our vacation to catch this...but that's just too much travel for our little family. :(

It was a great experience. :thumbup:

Now we've just got to get the film in another festival so the rest of the board can see it. :D

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If any of the LA guys (cheese, Ouchie) still want to see the movie, we're having a showing at a restaurant in Santa Monica on Sunday night--doors open at 7pm and I believe we have the whole place all to ourselves. Not sure though. They have a nice screening area on their patio, so it's a much more intimate environment. There's no other marketing, we're basically inviting everyone that couldn't make it to the first showing at the Laemmle (and those that would like to see it again).

PM me if you're interested.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Step 1: Approach a Harkins/AMC theater manager with the story. Local guy (?) makes good in Hollywood and wants to screen the film for friends and family in the Phoenix-metro area.

Step 2: Charge $10/person for the screening and donate all the money to charity (Kaycee's Foundation of Hope).

Step 3: Invite the entertainment reporters from the AZ Rep, EV Trib and New Times. Ensure they get the story of Chaplin and the charity angle.

Step 4: ASFNers finally get to see the film. The theater gets great local press. The charity gets money and visibilty.

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
Step 1: Approach a Harkins/AMC theater manager with the story. Local guy (?) makes good in Hollywood and wants to screen the film for friends and family in the Phoenix-metro area.

Step 2: Charge $10/person for the screening and donate all the money to charity (Kaycee's Foundation of Hope).

Step 3: Invite the entertainment reporters from the AZ Rep, EV Trib and New Times. Ensure they get the story of Chaplin and the charity angle.

Step 4: ASFNers finally get to see the film. The theater gets great local press. The charity gets money and visibilty.

:yeahthat:

Brilliant idea

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If any of the LA guys (cheese, Ouchie) still want to see the movie, we're having a showing at a restaurant in Santa Monica on Sunday night--doors open at 7pm and I believe we have the whole place all to ourselves. Not sure though. They have a nice screening area on their patio, so it's a much more intimate environment. There's no other marketing, we're basically inviting everyone that couldn't make it to the first showing at the Laemmle (and those that would like to see it again).

PM me if you're interested.

How did this go, MB? :shrug:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing some summer cleaning and found all of my Gameface promo stuff, DWF program, movie poster, tickets, etc. July 8, 2007. Almost exactly 6 years ago. Still love that trip and the whole experience. :cool:

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Doing some summer cleaning and found all of my Gameface promo stuff, DWF program, movie poster, tickets, etc. July 8, 2007. Almost exactly 6 years ago. Still love that trip and the whole experience. :cool:

Yeah it was pretty awesome. Unfortunately, the writer/director decided it simply wasn't a good movie and abandoned any efforts to get it distributed.

6 years ago is an awful long time ago and after seeing the film countless times, I would have to agree that it's a tough sell. But it was a good experience, and my first major editing/producing job.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard