Game of Thrones (HBO)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just starting episode 9. I cannot believe this thread only has 75 posts in it and much of it has nothing to do with the actual show itself. What an incredible show. Could be the best HBO has ever done IMO. Good good stuff.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just starting episode 9. I cannot believe this thread only has 75 posts in it and much of it has nothing to do with the actual show itself. What an incredible show. Could be the best HBO has ever done IMO. Good good stuff.

Oh, I think it's easily the best show HBO has ever done and that's without considering the nudity. And IMO, the nudity alone deserves at least 75 posts. Hopefully, it will continue at or near this level throughout it's run. My own tastes run to a happier world but this is too good to ignore.

Steve

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so glad I read the book first because there is so much going on with so many different characters that even though HBO did a great job in capturing everything, they still can't hit it all.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score

I have to go with season 1 of Rome. Can't beat it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I have to go with season 1 of Rome. Can't beat it.

I agree. These are some of my favorite fantasy books, and the show is an incredible enlivening of the books. Rome is still better. Rome is probably the best show I will ever see in my entire life, IMO. Just absolutely incredible, and on an everyday Roman life level, so accurate as to be pretty much the same.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
I agree. These are some of my favorite fantasy books, and the show is an incredible enlivening of the books. Rome is still better. Rome is probably the best show I will ever see in my entire life, IMO. Just absolutely incredible, and on an everyday Roman life level, so accurate as to be pretty much the same.

:thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iJTi_OITEo

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I know that stark probably dies in the books. But damn if that didn't piss me off. Far and away one of the characters on the show and now just gone. Wow wow wow.

To top it off I'm not so sure about baby dragons? Totally dull. Not impressed with that at all.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Haven't watched that.

You definitely need to check it out. Season 1 is awesome. Season 2 is great as well, but it felt rushed (they ended up canceling the series after two series because it simply cost too much). Amazing TV in those two seasons. Check out the Youtube clip I posted. How can you not like that?

Stout

Reaction score
Ok I know that stark probably dies in the books. But damn if that didn't piss me off. Far and away one of the characters on the show and now just gone. Wow wow wow.

To top it off I'm not so sure about baby dragons? Totally dull. Not impressed with that at all.

Hehe, you're REALLY going to have fun with the rest of the series :D

You definitely need to check it out. Season 1 is awesome. Season 2 is great as well, but it felt rushed (they ended up canceling the series after two series because it simply cost too much). Amazing TV in those two seasons. Check out the Youtube clip I posted. How can you not like that?

Season 2 was still incredible, and perhaps a bit rushed. Still, how do you make more seasons when it ended with the Pax Romana? I mean, you'd have to get into the Augustian family squabbles, but that's already been done perfectly in I, Claudius.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

If the TV show holds true to the books, it will rival the Sopranos/LOST (combined) with its sheer number of shocking deaths. And I am only thru page 100 on book 5 (of a planned 7)...

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
btw, anyone who didn't stick it out through the first four episodes of Thrones (and i don't blame if you didn't) is gonna want to watch this when it hits DVD. The show has become flat out awesome.

Really? F yeah! I just started watching and I'm exactly 4 eps in--and I already love it. If it stayed at this same pace I'd still be really enjoying it...I'm psyched to hear it gets even better.

They're doing a good job of not making these characters into caricatures--which would be easy to do with such a large cast, I would think.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? F yeah! I just started watching and I'm exactly 4 eps in--and I already love it. If it stayed at this same pace I'd still be really enjoying it...I'm psyched to hear it gets even better.

They're doing a good job of not making these characters into caricatures--which would be easy to do with such a large cast, I would think.

dude... just wait. I thought I knew were things were headed and would have been happy if they did but they flipped every expectation I had on it's head (except one) and it made the show so much stronger.

I can't think of another first season show which took as many risks as this one did (and yes, I know credit goes to the author of the books!). seriously balls out choices that make perfect sense but I had no idea they were coming.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
It blew me away.....

It shook me for weeks......

I will never forget how I felt or where I was when I watched those last 4 episodes.

Amazing.

Stout

Reaction score

Whoa baby, you are in for a wild ride! A person I knew who had watched one episode said, 'yeah, it stinks...you can tell exactly who the good guys and bad guys are, and they're all stock characters.' As you have seen, and as my friend was shocked to discover, that is certainly not the case. The books can be frustrating, but they're always good.

dude... just wait. I thought I knew were things were headed and would have been happy if they did but they flipped every expectation I had on it's head (except one) and it made the show so much stronger.

I can't think of another first season show which took as many risks as this one did (and yes, I know credit goes to the author of the books!). seriously balls out choices that make perfect sense but I had no idea they were coming.

Have you read all of them, Cheese, or are you taking it a season at a time?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa baby, you are in for a wild ride! A person I knew who had watched one episode said, 'yeah, it stinks...you can tell exactly who the good guys and bad guys are, and they're all stock characters.' As you have seen, and as my friend was shocked to discover, that is certainly not the case. The books can be frustrating, but they're always good.

Have you read all of them, Cheese, or are you taking it a season at a time?

one season at a time. as a writer, I know i'm probably missing a TON of **** by not reading the books, but I love the visual medium to death and would rather see it unfold visually at this point.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
It blew me away.....

It shook me for weeks......

I will never forget how I felt or where I was when I watched those last 4 episodes.

Amazing.

I felt the same way and I had read the books before I watched the show. Those episodes didn't have any less of an impact. I cannot wait for Season 2.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really loved the first season. I do have a slight gripe in the amount of magic that reared its head in the last couple of episodes. I know it's a fantasy series, but I liked that for the most part it was rooted in "reality," that is, that there WEREN'T dragons or wizards. Then, in the last couple of episodes, there are both.

I was hoping the white walkers beyond The Wall were natural rather than supernatural threats, and that the talk of dragons were either mythical beliefs or metaphorical.

Anyways, a minor beef. I still really, really like the show. Anyone know when it's supposed to air again?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really loved the first season. I do have a slight gripe in the amount of magic that reared its head in the last couple of episodes. I know it's a fantasy series, but I liked that for the most part it was rooted in "reality," that is, that there WEREN'T dragons or wizards. Then, in the last couple of episodes, there are both.

I was hoping the white walkers beyond The Wall were natural rather than supernatural threats, and that the talk of dragons were either mythical beliefs or metaphorical.

Anyways, a minor beef. I still really, really like the show. Anyone know when it's supposed to air again?

My thoughts exactly...fantastic till the mythical fantasy stuff was brought in..IMO the dragons were just over the top. The ending was no shocker to me. Just a big disappointment. Stark getting beheaded was far and away the best episode ender in season 1.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The magic and dragons followed the book.

FWIW - in my opinion, the opening scene of the series is one of the greatest I have ever seen - when the rangers came upon the camp. It is so haunting. I could almost feel the chill in the room as I was watching it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson