Game of Thrones (HBO)

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely amazing finale and I can't wait for season 2. This show is now in the top tier of shows on tv. Also how about the finds of Emilia Clarke and Maisie Williams (Arya). Both of them have done very little and we amazing in their parts. That is not to say all the other guys weren't great (they were, the cast was phenomenal) it was just those two stood out to me.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The last two episodes were spectacular. Completely engrossing like nothing else on tv. Probably the best show at the moment, imo. Now comes the long wait.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm half way through the first book. Started reading it on Father day and could'nt put it down. Not going to watch the series till I'm done with the book.

Good idea. I just got the 4 book set and after a few chapters realized I probably should just start reading book 2 as just about everything in the book so far was covered in the series.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good idea. I just got the 4 book set and after a few chapters realized I probably should just start reading book 2 as just about everything in the book so far was covered in the series.

Don't skip the first book. I like the show but the only thing better in the HBO version than the books is the (much appreciated) nudity. You can hit the highlights of an epic like that in 10 episodes but there's still a lot of missing detail and it's detail that you'll be missing when you get around to reading books 2 through 5. I'd say leave all the books till the series runs its course or zip through the 5 volumes while the show is on hiatus.

Steve

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Don't skip the first book. I like the show but the only thing better in the HBO version than the books is the (much appreciated) nudity. You can hit the highlights of an epic like that in 10 episodes but there's still a lot of missing detail and it's detail that you'll be missing when you get around to reading books 2 through 5. I'd say leave all the books till the series runs its course or zip through the 5 volumes while the show is on hiatus.

Steve

I've already started the 2nd book. It seems much more interesting because it isn't so much of a rerun. I was watching for missing detail in the first but didn't really see a lot. HBO did a really good job covering almost everything.

Stout was right, Martin is really good. So I'm going to try to read the other three I have before the next series starts.

Heck I'd have to wait 4 years if I waited until the series runs its course. :D

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished the first book. Holy cow, what a great book!

Can't wait for this to come out on BluRay.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've already started the 2nd book. It seems much more interesting because it isn't so much of a rerun. I was watching for missing detail in the first but didn't really see a lot. HBO did a really good job covering almost everything.

Stout was right, Martin is really good. So I'm going to try to read the other three I have before the next series starts.

Heck I'd have to wait 4 years if I waited until the series runs its course. :D

The 5th book comes out later this month but it will probably be quite awhile before the price drops on Kindle or the paperback comes out. If you're four books in you probably won't be able to resist the 5th book. I agree that HBO has done an excellent job covering the first book - hopefully they'll keep it up.

Steve

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The 5th book comes out later this month but it will probably be quite awhile before the price drops on Kindle or the paperback comes out. If you're four books in you probably won't be able to resist the 5th book. I agree that HBO has done an excellent job covering the first book - hopefully they'll keep it up.

Steve

I got the 4 Paperback Book set for Father's Day. So far Clash of Kings has been as good or better than Game of Thrones but I'm only about 100 pages in.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the 4 Paperback Book set for Father's Day. So far Clash of Kings has been as good or better than Game of Thrones but I'm only about 100 pages in.

The first 200 pages or so is mostly setting you up for the rest of the book and introducing characters. It starts to get really good after that.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Casting:

Oona Chaplin, granddaughter of the late Charlie Chaplin, reportedly is joining the cast. She reportedly will play the character Jeyne, as outlined in the books by George R.R. Martin.

Ben Crompton as Dolorous Edd
Michael McElhatton as Roose Bolton
Hannah Murray as Gilly
Karl Davies as Alton Lannister
Roy Dotrice as Hallyne, the pyromancer
German actor Tom Wlaschiha as Jaqen H’ghar
Gemma Whelan as Yara Greyjoy (in the books as Asha)
Nonso Anozie as Xaro Xhoan Daxos
Liam Cunningham as Davos
Stephen Dillane as Robert Baratheon’s heir and brother – Stannis
Dutch actress Carice van Houten as the red priestess Melisandre
Gwendoline Christie as Brienne, knight to Renly Baratheon
“Tudors” actress Natalie Dormer as Margaery Tyrell, Renly’s wife.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
My new favorite show. Watched the full season with wife finishing 3 weeks ago and I cannot wait for next season.

So unbelievably deep and well acted.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
My new favorite show. Watched the full season with wife finishing 3 weeks ago and I cannot wait for next season.

So unbelievably deep and well acted.

It was that. And as Cheesebeef said it had the best ending to a season in the history of that type of television.

There have only been two books I've read after watching the series on TV where I thought the production people had done an almost impeccable job. Game of Thrones and Lonesome Dove.

Lonesome Dove had the best casting of any series I've ever seen. Game of Thrones isn't far behind.

londonpete

Rookie
Reaction score
Awesome series. Loved the attention to detail.

A long wait till series 2 though.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished first episode on HBO GO... WOW!

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Just remember the first 6 or 7 episodes are filled with info..... Be patient.

The last 3 or 4 episodes were flippin fantastic.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember the first 6 or 7 episodes are filled with info..... Be patient.

The last 3 or 4 episodes were flippin fantastic.

yeah... it was an really interesting, slow burn through the first half of the season and then the burn turned into a raging inferno all the way through the end... literally.

best first season of any show I can ever remember... I've never seen a first season where the last two episodes so completely turned the entire series on it's head... and for the better.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still waiting for this to come out on BluRay. Was hoping it would be out for Christmas.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Game of Thrones hasn't even started Season 2, but it's never too soon to talk about Seasons 3 and 4. Rumors that are currently circulating on the internet hint that HBO is already thinking hard about greenlighting two more seasons of the fantasy drama, with the idea that the two seasons would be shot back-to-back. As you likely know, each season is supposed to correspond with a book from the novel series "A Song of Ice and Fire." And if you've read the books, you know that the third book of the series, A Storm of Swords, is a frickin' monster with enough awesome material for two seasons. And since you're smart, you can figure out that shooting two seasons back-to-back can only mean one thing: A Storm of Swords will be split into Seasons 3 and 4, and I think we all know exactly where Season 3 will end.
http://www.tv.com/news/news-briefs-...-game-of-thrones-27279/?tag=hotspot;gumball;1

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A Storm of Swords will be split into Seasons 3 and 4, and I think we all know exactly where Season 3 will end.

And who are you, the proud lord said,
that I must bow so low?
Only a cat of a different coat,
that's all the truth I know.
In a coat of gold or a coat of red,
a lion still has claws,
And mine are long and sharp, my lord,
as long and sharp as yours.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke,
that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall,
with no one there to hear.