Game 10 (AZ 14 DET 6) Thoughts

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
BA said all week he wanted a fast start. What makes the reality of the Cardinals' fast start versus the Lions all the more impressive is---it's pretty hard not to watch a ferocious defense like theirs on tape all week and not feel more than a little awed.

Here's where preparation comes in. Faced with the challenge of trying to slow down as dominant a front seven as there is in the NFL what was the game plan?

The first strategy was---which is a little more difficult to do with a new signal caller at QB---give the Lions plenty of hard counts. Drew Stanton was so good at it, that he had two freebie plays, one of which was the first jump ball TD to Michael Floyd.

The second strategy was to keep the front seven honest by making them pay attention to Andre Ellington. Even though most of Ellington's runs were snuffed out---the focus on Ellington kept the pass rush in check...which would turn out to be a key factor for the Cardinals in this game.

The third strategy was to isolate Floyd and John Brown on favorable matchups.

The fourth strategy was---once Floyd and Brown were commanding safety help over the top---to try to exploit the middle of the defense with John Carlson and Larry Fitzgerald. At times this strategy was successful---especially on the gutsy, game-icing 3rd and 11 pass to Fitzgerald over the middle. However, Stanton, as we saw, threw two unforced error interceptions over the middle, which, as he learned, was delving a little too deep and risky into the Lion's den. Why? Because the Lions' front four is so good that they rarely have to blitz, which often leaves their linebackers free to jump the passing lanes in the seams. Yet---BA and Stanton never cowered away from trying to beat the Lions at one of their most prolific strengths, as evidenced by key 4th quarter over-the-middle catches by Carlson and Fitzgerald....this time thrown with more mustard and with much better timing and accuracy.

The fifth strategy was to be have "hot reads" ready on the few occasions the Lions did blitz....the best of which were the quick strikes to Fitzgerald and to Robert Hughes who lowered the boom on one safety, caromed forward and completed a whopping chuck yard reception for 49 yards.

The sixth strategy was to lure the pass rush toward Stanton and run some nifty slip screens, the best of which was a sweet 27 yard catch and run by Rob Housler led by the imposing, hard charging Jared Veldheer. Another nifty little swing pass to Ellington gained 24 yards with Ted Larsen making a nice upfield block.

All in all, there were six pass plays of over 20 yards---and two other big pass plays in the teens to Carlson (17 yards) and Floyd on the 12 yard back shoulder TD that Stanton threw with precise timing on a rope. Ten players caught passes. Stanton threw for over 300 yards.

The offensive line did not get much push in the running game (which is a given for any team versus the Lions), and when they did get some push the Lions' linebackers were cleaning up on run blitzes. However, in terms of pass protection, the offensive line was danged solid and up for the task.

The Lions felt that if they could keep Ellington in check and rattle Stanton with their pressure, they would be able to win the game. Well, the Lions accomplished their goal of limiting Ellington (66 yards total), like few defenses have, but they did not quite rattle Stanton---especially early in the game where he actually startled them with his hard counts and advantageous smarts on free plays---and even though Stanton threw the two interceptions, both were not because of pressure but more because of poor timing and reads on Stanton's part. Stanton had been able to avoid such mistakes in previous games---but---give Stanton and the coaches credit---they stuck to the game plan anyway---even by trusting Stanton to close out the game on a 3rd and 11, instead of running the ball down to the 2 minute warning and punting the ball back to a Lions offense that has been 2 minute drill wizards this season---BA and his coaches were fully cognizant of that and made the gutsy call to try to ice the game with the offense instead.

As for the Cardinals' defense, while they uncharacteristically missed some key tackles in traffic and gave up 3-4 10-33 yard gallops by Joique Bell, they once again showed tremendous heart and strength in making key, clutch 3rd down and 4th down and short stops. The best and most telling one on the Lions' last possession when they tried a Calvin Johnson short inside motion out pass that was wide open earlier in the game, only this time, Jerraud Powers recognized the play and jumped the route in a flash, which caused Matthew Stafford to overthrow the ball.

These Cardinals pay attention, don't they? This is yet another prime example of making in-game adjustments. The Lions at that point were in a hurry-up too---which made it all the more impressive that in that key situation in the game, the secondary was primed and ready for it.

The thing about this defense is---it has become rock solid in the middle---and none of these guys (Dan Williams, Larry Foote, Jerraud Powers, Tyrann Mathieu and Rashad Johnson) are going to get even a whiff of any Pro Bowl consideration. But what they all have in common is their exemplary discipline, toughness and reliability. While Larry Foote lacks the physical prowess of the ILBers last year, he excels at making the precise reads, stepping up at the exact time and finishing off the plays. Apply that as well to Powers, Mathieu and the unsung Johnson. They make the plays they are expected to make---when and where they are expected to make them. As Emily Dickinson would say, they are "as punctual as a Star."

This type of discipline is contagious and now we are seeing Deone Bucannon making his presence felt in that middle as well---in addition to the ultimate "plug and play" DTs in Tommie Kelly, Frostee Rucker, Ed Stinson and Kareem Martin who are playing their tails off inside.

Calais Campbell is the feature player inside (if anyone has a chance at the Pro Bowl, he certainly does)---yet he would be the first to applaud the kind of help he's getting around him. And back to Dan Williams---please Steve Keim get him and Foote signed up for 2015 and beyond. Williams is playing like a stud.

Which brings us to the cornerbacks Patrick Peterson and Antonio Cromartie, both of whom should garner their share of recognition and attention, especially now that Peterson is no longer overplaying his position and is allowing his sheer athleticism to shine. Cromartie's versatility---look at how valuable he is covering the TEs like Eric Ebron when needed---gives the defense the edge and the dependability it has lacked at the #2 CB position for many years (possibly decades) now.

The special teams has made tangible strides---they tackle with ferocity and Justin Bethel remains a Pro Bowl performer, as evidenced by his catch of the ball on the one inch line with his two feet reestablished in the field of play. Credit BA for being totally on top of that ruling. Anyone ever see anything like it before? Well, this is why having experienced coaches who are fully prepared is such an advantage. Credit the Lions for being prepared on that play as well---it's a quirky little advance-the-ball-at-no-detriment rule that rarely has cause to happen.

BA has complete confidence in Chandler Catanzaro, but in this game, BA wanted to make things as difficult as possible for the Lions' offense and wanted to pin them deep. Between you and me---I think he was confident the defense could put 7 points on the board as they did twice in the 4th quarter versus the Rams. Why settle for 3? Haha!

What's so refreshing about this team is how humble they have remained. Drew Stanton wouldn't gloat or bask in the glory of the win at all after the game---he wanted no part of that. Fitz remained very matter-of-fact. It gave me goosebumps to see Larry Wilson and Aeneas Williams clad in yellow HOF jackets standing next to BA, Michael Bidwill and Steve Keim in that jubilant and yet commendably composed locker room---saluting the Cardinals for playing the game they way did---humbly---and---on-time.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Great summary Mitch. I think Frostee Rucker is perhaps one of the most under appreciated players on our defense... I really hope he is with this team for years to come! He's 31. Let's lock him up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It'a always a pleasure to hear Aeneas speak. It was very fitting that our DBs had they day they did yesterday with two of the all time greatest DBs in the building.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch, you used to talk about "Cardinals tough". This team has to be what you envisioned.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Defense looked prepared. Great discipline and finish against a dangerous offense.

I remember a play where the Cards defender jumped the screen pass causing Stafford to scramble and be sacked. That shows to me preparation, awareness, and recognition.
Johnson also mentioned that they knew the FB dive was coming when it did.

Thanks for the write up Mitch.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nice write up, as usual, Mitch.

Those 2 picks were egregious by Stanton. He also tends to stare down the receivers which will bite him more and more as there will be more film exposing those tendencies. Of course, I am sure the coaches are all over that and, hopefully, he will scan the field a bit better. It looked to me the tight ends, in particular were wide open for much of the game.

This game was, after the first quarter, all about the DEFENSE. This defense is, simply, marvelous. As you said, they gave up some big plays with inexplicable bad tackling at times, but on the HUGE 3rd and 4th down plays late in the game just "brung it"!

I love this team. After almost 50 years of being a Cardinal fan this team has won me over more than any other. The playoff/Super Bowl run was great to watch but this team has won my heart big time.

Arians, Bowles and the staff have created a MONSTER!

Go Cards!

Last edited:

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BA has complete confidence in Chandler Catanzaro

My opinion is coach decided to play for field position instead of attempting field goals, it's a reasonable supposition, but not sure how you would know this to be true.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
My friend, you have done it again. Thank you so very much for acknowledging the superlative play of Powers, Mathieu, and Johnson in the secondary. They are spot on solid, and deserve any recognition they get and a lot more. It is easy to see and acknowledge the play of Peterson and Cromartie, but the others, (including Buchannan now), deserve a big piece of the pie.

Also noted is your reference to Bruce Arians and his astute knowledge of the game as pointed out by the challenge of the punt return from the goal line. That knowledge permeates entirely through his staff, and is being absorbed and distributed on the field by ALL the roster players. The age and experience of this staff, and the brilliant mind young mind of Todd Bowles, has been the most wonderfully surprising aspect of this team, at least to me. I love how the roster players have delved into those teachings and have quickly shared this knowledge with each other, and continue to do so in real time on the field as the game progresses. We simply do not see dumb mistakes by this team. The mistakes made are, for the most part, mistakes of aggression. Even those are quickly tempered by the player who made the infraction. It is simply remarkable to watch the 'next man up', (step up) and fill the hole left because of an injury, or simply to anticipate the next move by the opposing offense, (or defense), and then put himself in position to make that next play.

The pure joy of executing a game plan is shared by all, (owners, former players, players, coaches, and front office), and best of all it permeates right on down to us fans in a most satisfying manner.

Thank you once again for your eloquent analysis and description of this latest game. You are my inspiration.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, you used to talk about "Cardinals tough". This team has to be what you envisioned.

You got it, Chris. Not just physically, but mentally. And, the players keep telling us that mentally they are not playing their best football yet. Refreshing, isn't it?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
My opinion is coach decided to play for field position instead of attempting field goals, it's a reasonable supposition, but not sure how you would know this to be true.

I don't. But--based on Catanzaro's performance and leg strength---I think there is strong reason to believe that BA has complete confidence in him. It's a great story how BA and his son scouted Catanzaro and made him their top choice. There is a risk/reward factor that every coach has to weigh with regard to kicking 50+ yard FGs. Recently, BA has put faith in the defense and does not want to "flip the field" position---a term he uses frequently.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Nice write up, as usual, Mitch.

I love this team. After almost 50 years of being a Cardinal fan this team has won me over more than any other. The playoff/Super Bowl run was great to watch but this team has won my heart big time.

Go Cards!

Nice touch TRW-----you have summed up EXACTLY how this team makes me feel.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nice touch TRW-----you have summed up EXACTLY how this team makes me feel.

Even my wife has sort of caught the fever too. She doesn't follow sports and doesn't watch the games but she is always asking "How are they doing?" and always cheers when they win. She will never be a sports fan but she is enjoying this season, probably because I'm not a raving lunatic as they go 5-10 AGAIN! LOL

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't. But--based on Catanzaro's performance and leg strength---I think there is strong reason to believe that BA has complete confidence in him. It's a great story how BA and his son scouted Catanzaro and made him their top choice. There is a risk/reward factor that every coach has to weigh with regard to kicking 50+ yard FGs. Recently, BA has put faith in the defense and does not want to "flip the field" position---a term he uses frequently.

I'll add to this.

If BA didn't have confidencs in CC, he wouldn't be kicking for us, period!

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great write up once again Mitch. What I would love to see from your FB mind is a post before the games with what your game plan would be. Of course it won't be exactly the same as BA's and Bowles but I bet you will be on point far more than not.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You got it, Chris. Not just physically, but mentally. And, the players keep telling us that mentally they are not playing their best football yet. Refreshing, isn't it?

Absolutely. To me the biggest think is that Keim and Arians are clearly on the same page and I never felt Whiz and Graves were.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard