Furious 7

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leading the yearly box office with over a quarter billion domestic, $800 million world-wide

Has the potential to break the top 10 all-time World wide

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will admit that I had seen about a total of 15 minutes of the entire series until I saw this Friday night. The funny part is that I only saw it because everyone where I workout saw it and won't stop talking about it. I loved it and have been watching the rest of the series since Saturday morning. I am half way through Fast 5 right now. I skipped the 3rd one and will watch that one later. The best part was the spoiler scene with Paul Walker.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very fun movie. Tons of action with some humor and a touching send off for Paul Walker. It was so surreal watching him throughout knowing this is his last film. I thought they did his send off justice.

R.I.P Paul Walker.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still #1 movie in US
Passed $1 Billion world-wide
Over $250 Million in China in 8 days

Up to #7 All-time Worldwide

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw this on Friday and thought it was pretty good. Like all of the other F&F movies, there were so many unrealistic parts. That doesn't matter to me because I liked the action. The ending was sad with the farewell to Brian (walker). He sure seemed like a good guy. I would recommend going to see it if you haven't yet.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

This decroded pile of crap as one of the top grossing movies of all time? I won't denigrate those who enjoy it and movies like it--it's kind of like how I love those old cheesy Schwarzeneger movies--but it's not actually GOOD. This is roughly akin to Commando being one of the top grossing movies of all time. Ugh, no, just no.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This decroded pile of crap as one of the top grossing movies of all time? I won't denigrate those who enjoy it and movies like it--it's kind of like how I love those old cheesy Schwarzeneger movies--but it's not actually GOOD. This is roughly akin to Commando being one of the top grossing movies of all time. Ugh, no, just no.

Oh come one. Most of the top grossing movies of all time are light popcorn fluff type movies. Let's be real. Star Wars many people religiously love. Those movies are full of bad dialogue, plot holes and suspect acting. There are many popcorn films like ID4 and I could on and on.

I could careless if it's an epic Oscar winner or popcorn film breaking records as long as it's enjoyable which this movie was. It was alot of fun.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh come one. Most of the top grossing movies of all time are light popcorn fluff type movies. Let's be real. Star Wars many people religiously love. Those movies are full of bad dialogue, plot holes and suspect acting. There are many popcorn films like ID4 and I could on and on.

I could careless if it's an epic Oscar winner or popcorn film breaking records as long as it's enjoyable which this movie was. It was alot of fun.

Yup - Star Wars is cheesy. But I love cheese.

Furious 7 is doing well because:
1) Paul Walker's death
2) Audiences enjoy the cheesy banter, the car chases (even though we all know that all of the cast would have died like 25 times in reality), the fight scenes (those got a little long for me)
3) And, the actors know it is a popcorn flick. It's not meant to be a classic. Just enjoyable fun, whose profits will help fun a ton of boring art "classics" that only film snobs will go see :D

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not like this record wills stand for long anyway. Every single time the record is broken...it's broken again.

Stout

Reaction score
Yup - Star Wars is cheesy. But I love cheese.

Furious 7 is doing well because:
1) Paul Walker's death
2) Audiences enjoy the cheesy banter, the car chases (even though we all know that all of the cast would have died like 25 times in reality), the fight scenes (those got a little long for me)
3) And, the actors know it is a popcorn flick. It's not meant to be a classic. Just enjoyable fun, whose profits will help fun a ton of boring art "classics" that only film snobs will go see :D

I'm sorry. I just read a comparison between Fast 7 and Star Wars. Everything else in your post flew past me as I sat stunned before my computer ;)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I just read a comparison between Fast 7 and Star Wars. Everything else in your post flew past me as I sat stunned before my computer ;)

LOL - if Star Wars came out today, and made $1 Billion, you'd be all horrified by the cheesy dialogue, unrealistic fight scenes, Storm Troopers that have the worst aim in the galaxy, and unrealistic starship chases.

Hmmm - Furious 7=Star Wars 7?

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those numbers are so very depressing for cinema.

Cinema is not what it used to be. Most go to the theater for the experience, not the story. If I want story, I say home and watch it in the confort of my home. I go to the theater for mindless entertainment that will blow me away with noises and explosions. I think you will start to see smaller theaters with mostly large screens and one or two smaller ones. There is a shift and these blockbusters need this to continue to thrive. If anything, I think it shows that the threater is not dead yet and that is thanks to the, as you call it, "decroded pile of crap". If anything, you should be kissing the Rock's Candy Ass since he is making movies that keep theaters in business so you can watch "Me, Earl and the Dying Girl".

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well you didn't read then. ;)

The point wasn't to compare the films bit by bit. The point was that some of the things you are complaining about as justification for bagging on this films gross...is present is some of the biggest hits in movie history.

Stout

Reaction score
LOL - if Star Wars came out today, and made $1 Billion, you'd be all horrified by the cheesy dialogue, unrealistic fight scenes, Storm Troopers that have the worst aim in the galaxy, and unrealistic starship chases.

Hmmm - Furious 7=Star Wars 7?

Star Wars wouldn't come out today--the industry is completely different, especially with the effects. The correlation you can make is with Phantom Menace, and I most certainly bagged on it.

Cinema is not what it used to be. Most go to the theater for the experience, not the story. If I want story, I say home and watch it in the confort of my home. I go to the theater for mindless entertainment that will blow me away with noises and explosions. I think you will start to see smaller theaters with mostly large screens and one or two smaller ones. There is a shift and these blockbusters need this to continue to thrive. If anything, I think it shows that the threater is not dead yet and that is thanks to the, as you call it, "decroded pile of crap". If anything, you should be kissing the Rock's Candy Ass since he is making movies that keep theaters in business so you can watch "Me, Earl and the Dying Girl".

Maybe most of who you know just go for the experience. I can't speak for society as a whole, but many mindless drones probably do just as you describe. I and most I know go to the movies for one thing--entertainment. Sometimes it's mindless fun, sometimes it's great cinema, and sometimes it's in the middle. I very seriously doubt you're going to see smaller theaters with just the mindless movies, however. This industry isn't downsizing--it's upsizing. I think your logic in most of this is really poor and not at all justified.

The Rock can suck my fat one--when he does good work, I'll give him a :thumbup: for it :)

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Star Wars wouldn't come out today--the industry is completely different, especially with the effects. The correlation you can make is with Phantom Menace, and I most certainly bagged on it.

Maybe most of who you know just go for the experience. I can't speak for society as a whole, but many mindless drones probably do just as you describe. I and most I know go to the movies for one thing--entertainment. Sometimes it's mindless fun, sometimes it's great cinema, and sometimes it's in the middle. I very seriously doubt you're going to see smaller theaters with just the mindless movies, however. This industry isn't downsizing--it's upsizing. I think your logic in most of this is really poor and not at all justified.

The Rock can suck my fat one--when he does good work, I'll give him a :thumbup: for it :)

I am pretty sure digital download sales completely justify my thoughts. But hey, what do I know, I am just a mindless drone.

Stout

Reaction score
I am pretty sure digital download sales completely justify my thoughts. But hey, what do I know, I am just a mindless drone.

Hey, you said it first :) I don't think digital downloads are going to put movie theaters out of business, or even make them smaller, unless illegal digital downloads become the norm for the majority of people.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, you said it first :) I don't think digital downloads are going to put movie theaters out of business, or even make them smaller, unless illegal digital downloads become the norm for the majority of people.

As long as they lag behind releases there will be an incentive IMO to go to the movies.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as they lag behind releases there will be an incentive IMO to go to the movies.

And for action movies like Furious 7, the theater experience still can't be duplicated at home.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And for action movies like Furious 7, the theater experience still can't be duplicated at home.

I think the home theater experience can be "almost" as good but the big gap for me is the social aspect. IMO, there is nothing cooler than being part of huge audience that jumps, screams, oooos, awes and the occasional clapping when it's over because it was bad ass.

To me that can't be replaced.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think the home theater experience can be "almost" as good but the big gap for me is the social aspect. IMO, there is nothing cooler than being part of huge audience that jumps, screams, oooos, awes and the occasional clapping when it's over because it was bad ass.

To me that can't be replaced.

Exactly, so if blockbusters stop making stupid money, they stop making them. In return, theaters hurt and more movies hit the home market first. The theater does not make money from your ticket, they hope to break even from the ticket and make money from the concessions.

Most of the money that a theatre takes in from ticket sales goes back to the movie studio. The studio leases a movie to your local theater for a set period of time. In the first couple of weeks the film shows in the theatre, the theatre itself only gets to keep about 20% – 25% of the green

So, without sellouts of these mindles action movies, theaters can't survive. "Me, Earl and the Dying Girl" is not going bring in enough people to make any money.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly, so if blockbusters stop making stupid money, they stop making them. In return, theaters hurt and more movies hit the home market first. The theater does not make money from your ticket, they hope to break even from the ticket and make money from the concessions.

So, without sellouts of these mindles action movies, theaters can't survive. "Me, Earl and the Dying Girl" is not going bring in enough people to make any money.

I don't begin to know the inner economics but for instance Harkins must sell a bunch of candy or other concessions because they literally make getting popcorn and drinks dirt cheap unlike the AMC chains through their loyalty cup and t-shirts.

They must make a ton of money on their other concessions if that is the case. I worked with Dan Harkins sister for years and I can tell you that chain isn't hurting for profits despite making the two most common things (soda and popcorn) cheap for the audience.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Up to $320 Domestic, Over $1 BILLION International - only third movie ever to rake in over a $1 billion outside the US.

Up to #5 All-time World-wide. Should move up to #4 this week. Now the highest grossing movie ever in China.

Of course, Age of Ultron will likely beat Furious 7 everywhere

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard