Free Agency 2020

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Feb 11, 2020.

1. offset

offset i have a special purpose

Mainstreet likes this.
  2. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Arizona Sports has an article that explores options for the Suns to create cap space.

Below is a snippet:

By Kellan Olson | October 15, 2020 at 4:03 pm
    UPDATED: October 15, 2020 at 4:35 pm

There are only six teams that project to have cap space. This is “projecting” some clear-cut moves, such as Anthony Davis’ return to the Los Angeles Lakers and Brandon Ingram re-upping with the New Orleans Pelicans, so keep in mind that this could change with some unforeseen free-agent decisions and/or trades. For now, though, it’s six teams.

The Miami Heat are one of them, and could easily choose to retain players like Jae Crowder and Goran Dragic instead of creating that room. In New York, the Knicks have $41 million in non-guaranteed contracts to decide on that will predicate which direction they go in.

The Suns are in this group. Cap numbers are tricky and the actual cap, while expected to remain flat, hasn’t been negotiated yet with so much up in the air for 2020-21. The most likely scenario is the cap stays at $109.1 million, the same number as last season.

https://arizonasports.com/story/242...ns-is-an-effort-made-to-create-max-cap-space/

3. Yuma

Yuma Working from home. Missing my free coffee!

So he did not address the Oubre issue, which is kind of a cop out because that is the major decison in my humble opinion that drives the remaining decisions. Keep Oubre you build them team one way, trade Oubre you go another direction.

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  4. Mainstreet

If I read the article right, the premise was keeping Oubre until they mentioned it at the very end.

I'd like to keep Oubre to see what he brings this season and the financial flexibility he could bring next season if they part ways. Also the Suns have time to make a decision until the trade deadline.

5. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

We need to decide ASAP if we are going to pay Oubre what he wants or not. If not, we need to trade him while we still can. We cannot afford another repeat of Tyson Chandler and Tyler Johnson.

BTW, the line-up mentioned in that article misses the playoffs...again...thanks to a total lack of size/bulk/strength in the frontcourt and lack of a legitimate power forward.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  6. Mainstreet

Unless the Suns can significantly improve the team with a player as good or better than Oubre, you keep him. Chandler and Johnson were not big contributors to the team.

Yuma likes this.
  7. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

If they keep him, it needs to be for the long term. One year of Oubre, followed by letting him walk, is a step backwards, in my opinion.

8. Mainstreet

I was hoping the Suns would have signed Oubre to a multi-year contract. Now we are faced with this dilemma. The Suns cannot control his destiny as he will enter unrestricted free agency after this coming season.

This is the most convincing argument to trade Oubre but it can't be any old trade. It has to maintain or improve the talent on the team. Otherwise keep him.

9. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

We do have his bird rights though so we can go over the cap to resign him after this season, which shouldn't be ignored or forgotten. I know having the ability to match would be much better but knowing we can offer more than anyone else by going over the cap, and offering an extra year, is good.

Mainstreet likes this.
  10. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

Indeed, but management then needs to decide sooner rather than later whether or not they are willing to do so in order to give Oubre what he seeks. Otherwise, at best it is another Joe Johnson situation, and at worst it is a repeat of Tyson Chandler and Tyler Johnson.

11. Carolinacacti

Carolinacacti Registered

Suns are going to be so freaking good next year Oubre will want to stay with a discount.

12. Yuma

Yuma Working from home. Missing my free coffee!

I was disappointed they didn't go at least four years. A two year deal, I think unless Oubre's side wanted him to be a free agent in a certain year, you either commit or let him fly. A two year deal is just kicking the can down the road a year. Now we have the same conundrum a year later with him. Unless there is a trade that we can do with him that helps both teams, I am not sure what they were thinking. Yes we kept an asset short term, but why? Either he's your guy or he's not.

13. Mainstreet

Only my opinion, but I don't think the Suns and Oubre could agree on a longer term contract for more money so they settled on a two year contract. Pulling figures out of the air, maybe Oubre wanted something like 4 years $75 million and the Suns said no.

AzStevenCal likes this.
  14. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

If that's the case, the Suns need to decide if they are willing to pay him long term moving forward. If not, they need to trade him ASAP, as in before the draft.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  15. Carolinacacti

Carolinacacti Registered

New coaching staff and GM wanted two years to see if he fit. They have one more year to see. If he leaves thats fine its not like a four year deal would make him stay. BLEDSOE, Goran Johnson