Free Agency 2020

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now reduce the cap by 8mil because the cap stayed the same as last year due to Covid.

I wasn't sure about that. If that's the case and we are keeping Saric, then it's definitely better to approach free agency as a capped team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And our biggest need remains entirely unaddressed.

I'm coming to the realization Bridges and Johnson may be our starting forwards much like in Orlando.

Suns will need depth behind the starting unit. Maybe they draft a power forward or a wing to replace Oubre.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm coming to the realization Bridges and Johnson may be our starting forwards much like in Orlando.

Suns will need depth behind the starting unit. Maybe they draft a power forward or a wing to replace Oubre.

Do you not recall how constantly awful our starts in the bubble were because Cam was outmanned at the power forward spot against opposing starters (and that Cam was only effective against opposing reserves)?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you not recall how constantly awful our starts in the bubble were because Cam was outmanned at the power forward spot against opposing starters (and that Cam was only effective against opposing reserves)?

Suns won with their second unit of Saric, Payne and Carter.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wasn't sure about that. If that's the case and we are keeping Saric, then it's definitely better to approach free agency as a capped team.
I think you might be right. Being a capped team actually might give us more options, especially with our own FA's.

BTW., PJ Tucker is supposed to be available.

Christian Wood might be an interesting PF pick up. Athleticism, shot-blocking, and can shoot.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Suns won with their second unit of Saric, Payne and Carter.

And with Cam against opposing reserves, with Booker playing extended minutes. That formula won't work over an entire season. They need a real power forward.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You mean the 8 games we won? I know that leading early is far more important than actually winning the game but I'm not so sure you can send all the credit/blame Cam's direction. Also, as I recall, we only got trounced in the first quarter in 2 of those 8 games (Miami and OKC) and that same starting lineup turned around and blew out OKC in the 3rd quarter.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
You mean the 8 games we won? I know that leading early is far more important than actually winning the game but I'm not so sure you can send all the credit/blame Cam's direction. Also, as I recall, we only got trounced in the first quarter in 2 of those 8 games (Miami and OKC) and that same starting lineup turned around and blew out OKC in the 3rd quarter.
We had the lead when Cam left the floor in 4/8 games. Two of the four deficits were pretty close. The other two was just a bad team start and not necessarily the fault of Cam or the fact that he was starting.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And with Cam against opposing reserves, with Booker playing extended minutes. That formula won't work over an entire season. They need a real power forward.

Doing the math in my head I believe Booker averaged less than 33 minutes per game in the bubble.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
JaKarr Jordan Sampson is an American professional basketball player for the Indiana Pacers of the National Basketball Association. He played college basketball for the St. John's Red Storm. He is a frequent rebounder and shot-blocker, and is noted for his speed and a near 7'0" wingspan. Wikipedia
Born: March 20, 1993 (age 27 years), Cleveland, OH
Height: 6′ 7″
Salary: 258,489 USD (2016)
Current team: Indiana Pacers (#14 / Small forward, Shooting guard)
NBA draft: 2014

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
JaKarr Sampson
You must be registered for see images attach

No. 14 – Indiana Pacers
Position
Small forward
League NBA
Personal information
Born
March 20, 1993 (age 27)
Cleveland, Ohio
Nationality American
Listed height 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)
Listed weight 214 lb (97 kg)
Career information
High school

College St. John's (2012–2014)
NBA draft 2014 / Undrafted
Playing career 2014–present
Career history
Philadelphia 76ers
2014Delaware 87ers
2016 Denver Nuggets
2016–2017 Iowa Energy
2017–2018 Sacramento Kings
2017–2018Reno Bighorns
2018 Windy City Bulls
2018–2019 Shandong Golden Stars
2019 Windy City Bulls
2019 Chicago Bulls
2019–present Indiana Pacers
2019Fort Wayne Mad Ants
Career highlights and awards
Stats at NBA.com
Stats at Basketball-Reference.com
JaKarr Jordan Sampson (born March 20, 1993) is an American professional basketball player for the Indiana Pacers of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He played college basketball for the St. John's Red Storm. He is a frequent rebounder and shot-blocker, and is noted for his speed and a near 7'0" wingspan.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think you might be right. Being a capped team actually might give us more options, especially with our own FA's.

BTW., PJ Tucker is supposed to be available.

Christian Wood might be an interesting PF pick up. Athleticism, shot-blocking, and can shoot.
Won’t be able to afford wood

JerkFace

Reaction score
I wonder if we keep Frank now? He isn’t very good, but we are already over the cap so picking up his option has zero effect on the cap. He is virtually a “free” player.

JerkFace

Reaction score

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wonder if we keep Frank now? He isn’t very good, but we are already over the cap so picking up his option has zero effect on the cap. He is virtually a “free” player.
Every good team needs a player/mascot.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Then the deal is a no-brainer, risks and additional pick compensation or not.

I just hope they are not counting on Saric to start.

The best we can do is make that pick worthless.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are so close. They need a starting power forward.

There will always be left over talent in free agency that can be had on reasonable contract. IIRC, Harrell was one of those years back when he went to the Clippers.

Maybe a combination of Paul, Booker and Ayton can help attract a player.

Derrick Favors might be a more reasonable option.

JerkFace

Reaction score
The Suns are so close. They need a starting power forward.

There will always be left over talent in free agency that can be had on reasonable contract. IIRC, Harrell was one of those years back when he went to the Clippers.

Maybe a combination of Paul, Booker and Ayton can help attract a player.

Derrick Favors might be a more reasonable option.
My guess is that we wave the MLE at all the free agent PFs and pick the best one that wants to come.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My guess is that we wave the MLE at all the free agent PFs and pick the best one that wants to come.
I'm still thinking Gallinari. There are now 2 personal connections -- Devin Booker and Chris Paul. I'll be shocked if he DOESN'T come here.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is a good chance the Suns as well as many other teams already know the free agent market. Maybe we will get our starting power forward yet. The Suns probably have a good idea who unless someone throws crazy money at a target.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson