Free Agency 2020

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There is a good chance the Suns as well as many other teams already know the free agent market. Maybe we will get our starting power forward yet. The Suns probably have a good idea who unless someone throws crazy money at a target.
Some dude named "Flex from Jersey" on Twitter has already said there's something else agreed to for Draft Night, said it's the equivalent of the trade where we got Dario.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Some dude named "Flex from Jersey" on Twitter has already said there's something else agreed to for Draft Night, said it's the equivalent of the trade where we got Dario.
Flex was on the CP3 trade really early (before any national guys). I don’t think he has a ton of sources but he does seem to have a guy pretty deep in the Suns organization.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That would be one heck of a starting lineup. I'm not sure how it would work as Gallinari is a free agent.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That would be one heck of a starting lineup. I'm not sure how it would work as Gallinari is a free agent.
Well I think it's obvious that this potentially would not be for Gallo, but for someone that is still under contract. Not sure how that works with our cap situation, but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I think it's obvious that this potentially would not be for Gallo, but for someone that is still under contract. Not sure how that works with our cap situation, but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

It's exciting stuff for sure if James Jones can pull all the pieces together to make the Suns not only a playoff team but one that can advance.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I was just thinking... aren’t we over the cap now? How can we trade our pick for a pick and a player if we are over the cap. We don’t really have anymore “usable” contracts on the team for a trade. I guess it is possible to have an agreement for a trade and then use Kaminsky after we pick up his option, but that’s all I can really think of.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was just thinking... aren’t we over the cap now? How can we trade our pick for a pick and a player if we are over the cap. We don’t really have anymore “usable” contracts on the team for a trade. I guess it is possible to have an agreement for a trade and then use Kaminsky after we pick up his option, but that’s all I can really think of.

Sign and trade for Baynes is probably the most likely way they can swing a deal like that. Trading Frank does make sense but I doubt the returning players would be worth much at all if that were the plan. Although Frank might be included with a Baynes sign and trade to make salaries work better.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I just read, that based on what we did with our first round pick last year, we are not eligible to move our pick thsi year anyway.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I just read, that based on what we did with our first round pick last year, we are not eligible to move our pick thsi year anyway.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That's semantics.

Just make the pick than trade the player you picked.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So I saw another guy say maybe the dude we are trading for is Nemanja Bjelica from the Kings - and that makes a lot of sense from the Suns perspective. He had a 15per last year and shot 41% from 3. Basically he is a cheaper version of Gallo for now, and maybe the Kings don't want to resign him.

But the Kings already have the 12th pick - so I am thinking if that was the trade down target, we would be getting the 35th pick.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So I saw another guy say maybe the dude we are trading for is Nemanja Bjelica from the Kings - and that makes a lot of sense from the Suns perspective. He had a 15per last year and shot 41% from 3. Basically he is a cheaper version of Gallo for now, and maybe the Kings don't want to resign him.

But the Kings already have the 12th pick - so I am thinking if that was the trade down target, we would be getting the 35th pick.

I've thought of him as a potential target as well. There were reports a few months ago that the Kings were thinking of waiving him which seemed to me he may have asked out. I recall he had more lucrative NBA offers but had agreed to sign in Europe when he was a FA before eventually signing with the Kings, I assume do to a connection with Vlade. Now that Vlade is out it seems he wants out. If he is staying in the league then he's definitely worth a look. Basically the same skill set as Saric, just better(and older).

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Where did you see this rumor? Sounds interesting!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bjelica is under contract this season for $7,150,000 and it might get the Suns Grant Riller at #35 if they really do have interest in him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Bjelica is under contract this season for $7,150,000 and it might get the Suns Grant Riller at #35 if they really do have interest in him.
That would be too big of a gamble IMO. Trade the #10 for a guy who is a lot like Saric and then hope that you can get one guy as an early 2nd rounder? Too big of a gamble. If the pick was early 20s, then maybe I would consider it, but not #35. I don't think the 10 is that valuable, but I'd be more interested in something better than Bjelica and the 35.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be too big of a gamble IMO. Trade the #10 for a guy who is a lot like Saric and then hope that you can get one guy as an early 2nd rounder? Too big of a gamble. If the pick was early 20s, then maybe I would consider it, but not #35. I don't think the 10 is that valuable, but I'd be more interested in something better than Bjelica and the 35.

Only playing out the logic of the move. It's not something I came up with.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well. The two most powerful players in this league are LeBron James and Chris Paul. Chris Paul chose to be here. If he wanted to go to the Lakers or Clips, I believe he could have made that happen. This team is somewhat of a FA preferred destination again. Kinda.

So, what NBA PF is a little bit later in his career, chasing a ring, and friends with Chris Paul, Monty, and/or Book?

I think you also look at 2021 FA's because some teams might want to move one of those guys now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You also tend to overvalue later picks and end-of-the-bench players. ;)

It's amazing how often those end of the bench players are forced to play because of injuries. Cam Payne was a late edition and he played pretty well.

I do think there are frequently good players to be had with later picks in the draft but it takes some scouting and luck to find them.

In regard to later picks, I like Zeke Nnaji.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well. The two most powerful players in this league are LeBron James and Chris Paul. Chris Paul chose to be here. If he wanted to go to the Lakers or Clips, I believe he could have made that happen. This team is somewhat of a FA preferred destination again. Kinda.

So, what NBA PF is a little bit later in his career, chasing a ring, and friends with Chris Paul, Monty, and/or Book?

I think you also look at 2021 FA's because some teams might want to move one of those guys now.

ESPN talked about PJ Tucker wanting to return to Phoenix after the cp3 trade. I'd be for it. Sure, he's undersized but there is no doubting his toughness.

Anton
Tucker
Bridges
Book
Paul

Cam Johnson
Cam Payne
Javon Carter
Saric
BAynes?

That is a hard nosed contender.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is Paul Millsap but I'm not sure how much gas he has left in the tank.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does anyone one know the sign and trade rules? For instance. Could the Suns do a sign and trade deal with OKC for Gallo using Baynes? Maybe only the first year is guaranteed for both? I imagine Presti would want other compensation. Just wondering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave