Fitzgerald Signs Record Deal

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
SameOleGee said:
I dont understand all this talk of Quan being jealous of the Fitz contract. Has everyone forgotten what type of person Quan is? He would give up all his rookie records for wins. Im sure at this very moment Quan is just as happy as Fitz is, bcuz this will mean more WINS.
What if Fitz starts getting more balls thrown his way than Boldin and we're still losing? What will Boldin think? He'll probably think that the reason we're losing is because he's not getting the ball enough. Most WRs in the NFL think that way and I don't think Boldin will be any different. I can't say for sure. We really don't know as much about NFL players and how they act as we think we do.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arvos said:
I can understand the happy thoughts on getting Fitz in camp but you should be a bit peturbed that they overpayed as they did. Players are slotted based on draft position not how good they think they are. I think this contract along with Winslow's potential deal are going to be negative trendsetters for future years in the NFL. Think what you will of Quan but, baby, its still about the money. Quan is going to have a monster year and hes gonna figure out hes the lowest paid of the three top WR's on the team. His demands are going to make Fitz contract look rather puney. With the cap as it is there is no way you can afford to pay both your WR's like that, and still field a competative team. I look for QUAN to hold out next year......
We haven't seen the details on Fitzgerald's contract, but the if it's anything like other 1st round contracts, that $60 million is the potential value. There's probably a ton of incentives in place that he'll need to reach before earning it.

Look at Taylor's contract--what'd he sign? Reportedly, a 7 year, $40 million contract, right? When you look closer, it's seems more like a 6 year, $18 million dollar deal. The last $22 million are all incentives, and the 7th year can be voided.

So while the guarenteed $20 million is huge, it's hardly a $60 million commitment. It's only (ha! "only") $2 more than Taylor is promised.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PS--Arvos is just worried that the Lions may not have the best young WR corps in the NFL...! ;)

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I don't like these rookie contracts at all. They're totally out of control.

I hope we never draft in the top five again, and if we do I hope we trade out of it.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arvos said:
I look for QUAN to hold out next year......
Having talked to Q on several occasions, I would be stunned if he held out, it would be very out of character.

We heard rumors of a reworking of Q's rookie contract months ago but I don't believe the can do that until this summer

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone else notice that when the Cardinals don't sign players because they don't want to pay enough, the Cardinals are blasted as cheap and behind the times. Then when they sign Fitzgerald, they spent too much.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
Anyone else notice that when the Cardinals don't sign players because they don't want to pay enough, the Cardinals are blasted as cheap and behind the times. Then when they sign Fitzgerald, they spent too much.
I noticed. It's not just the Cards and our rookies, it's the top ten across the board. Winslow, for instance, is making more than Gonzales? That's pretty warped.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose we just have to remember that the line between having prolonged holdouts and signed picks is a fine one. At this point, I'll take a signed pick over a holdout. Pick up the pieces (sign Quan to an extension) later. Perhaps, I am the only one who feels that way.

NMCardfan

Rookie
Reaction score
Didn't Plummer get a record contract too? Happy he's in camp, but I hope this doesn't bite us in the ass.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's just get Dockett and Dansby in, get our camp up and going, and start winning some ball games. We have no idea of how Quan feels. It's only conjecture. These things have a habit of working themselves out. Quit worrying about something no one has any control over.

If you want to worry about something, worry about how wore out our guys are gonna be when DG and his crew get through working them. :thumbup:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
COULD be worth 60 mil.

Twenty million is gaurenteed. The key to this signing is it a 6 year deal. Four or five years down the line Fitz will be a bargain.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This is an interesting end to the 2004 article on Fitzgeralds signing:

Fitzgerald's lack of ego was apparent in the way he flipped the football to officials after every touchdown, like his football idol Barry Sanders.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort