Fitzgerald Signs Record Deal

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
red desert said:
I wonder if making sure "crybaby Eli" didn't get the largest/highest signing bonus is something that was in the back of their mind?

Also, is it possible to pay two wr that kind of money? Sure hope so.

Boldin still has 3 years left on his contract so we dont need to worry about that yet.:D

spanky1

Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Boldin still has 3 years left on his contract so we dont need to worry about that yet.:D

Boldin's contract will be re-negotiated before the end of his current deal......as we have acknowledged over the last few months. I do not think that this will happen before the end of his second contract year (at the earliest) or at the conclusion of his third contract year (more likely). We have to realize that if McCown has a solid year, he'll need to be resigned for a healthy amount. The same can be said for Wilson.

You need to stagger these types of things so that you are not entering salary cap hell in any one particular year.

Harpo

All Hail the New Regime!
Reaction score
Boldin has to be thinking in the back of his mind "60 million? This guy hasn't done a thing yet and he's already taken my position and making a ton more than I am" "Then again, BJ is making a ton more than I am, too." On top of that, Fitz is Denny's guy, and you have to think all Denny's talking about him being the #1 player in the draft helped seal this enormous contract. Hopefully, I'm reading to far into this, but if I was Q there would have to be some inkling of doubt.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
guaranteed money

I didn't read in that article that he got a 20 million dollar signing bonus, but rather $20 mil in guaranteed money. Couldn't they be different?

I think its awesome they got him in on time, for at least the practices. I want Dockett and Dansby today now. :)

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Harpo said:
Boldin has to be thinking in the back of his mind "60 million? This guy hasn't done a thing yet and he's already taken my position and making a ton more than I am" "Then again, BJ is making a ton more than I am, too." On top of that, Fitz is Denny's guy, and you have to think all Denny's talking about him being the #1 player in the draft helped seal this enormous contract. Hopefully, I'm reading to far into this, but if I was Q there would have to be some inkling of doubt.

Thats what I'm thinking to. Fitz had better put up some Boldin type numbers for that dough.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NMCard said:
Thats what I'm thinking to. Fitz had better put up some Boldin type numbers for that dough.

He better put up better than Boldin numbers.

That being said Im very happy he is signed!

:thumbup:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Boldin's contract will be re-negotiated before the end of his current deal......as we have acknowledged over the last few months. I do not think that this will happen before the end of his second contract year (at the earliest) or at the conclusion of his third contract year (more likely). We have to realize that if McCown has a solid year, he'll need to be resigned for a healthy amount. The same can be said for Wilson.

You need to stagger these types of things so that you are not entering salary cap hell in any one particular year.

I agree. Wasnt saying we wont ever re do the deal, just saying we wont right now for a few years. Just being sarcastic.

spanky1

Reaction score
TigToad said:
I didn't read in that article that he got a 20 million dollar signing bonus, but rather $20 mil in guaranteed money. Couldn't they be different?

I think its awesome they got him in on time, for at least the practices. I want Dockett and Dansby today now. :)

TigToad,

You have hit the nail on the head.......they are totally different. It will become clearer once the contract is made public. It the same thing for Gallery. Signing bonus is now......guaranteed money is real but can be manipulated to minimize a high cap hit in any one year.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
pray to god that we dont pick in the top 5 next year. It will be at least a 30 million dollar signing bonus and you will have to cut Boldin/Shelton/Jackson or some other top talent.

Keep thinking for the moment. Thats the way superbowls are won... :rolleyes:

I'd be willing to bet if we have a top 5 pick next year, we trade way down...maybe even out of the 1st Round...;)

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
Cards reach agreement with Fitzgerald; cut C Kendall

SportsTicker

FLAGSTAFF, Arizona (Ticker) - The Arizona Cardinals will have Larry Fitzgerald, the first receiver selected in the 2004 draft, in training camp Monday. However, Pete Kendall will not be around.

Fitzgerald agreed to a six-year contract after his agent Eugene Parker conducted round-the-clock negotiations with Cardinals vice president of football operations Rod Graves.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

The third overall pick in the draft, Fitzgerald is a favorite of new Cardinals coach Dennis Green. Fitzgerald worked as a ball boy for the Minnesota Vikings when Green was the coach and grew friendly with receivers Cris Carter and Randy Moss.

Kendall, Arizona's starting center, is probably not a fan of Green. The eight-year veteran was cut before he even made the trip to Northern Arizona University on Sunday.

"My only comment is that I'm shocked and that I'll be moving forward," Kendall said when he returned to the team's Tempe facility.

Kendall, 31, was due to make $2.75 million this year and $2 million in 2005. The money saved under the salary cap with his release went right to Fitzgerald.

The Biletnikoff Award winner as the nation's best receiver and Heisman Trophy runner-up, Fitzgerald led the nation in receiving yards with 1,672 on 92 catches with 22 touchdowns in 2003 as a sophomore at Pittsburgh. He also broke the NCAA record for consecutive games with a touchdown catch (18). Fitzgerald was allowed to enter the draft after his sophomore year since he was three years removed from prep school.

Green plans to often emply a three-receiver alignment with Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year last season, and Bryant Johnson, the team's first-round pick in 2003.

The 6-3, 225-pound Fitzgerald is as polished as any college wideout in recent years. He is not a speed burner, but has excellent size, rare athletic ability, quickness in and out of breaks and sure hands.

Fitzgerald's lack of ego was apparent in the way he flipped the football to officials after every touchdown, like his football idol Barry Sanders.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
YYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

You know what's strange...very early this morning I had a dream that Fitz had signed.

This morning I woke up, and Fitz has signed!!!

:raccoon:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renz said:
You think the Chargers and Browns are pissed at the Cards? Now Rivers and Winslow will want $20 million guaranteed. :biglaugh:

For once, we are on the other end of that situation. :stupid:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont understand all this talk of Quan being jealous of the Fitz contract. Has everyone forgotten what type of person Quan is? He would give up all his rookie records for wins. Im sure at this very moment Quan is just as happy as Fitz is, bcuz this will mean more WINS.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
YYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

You know what's strange...very early this morning I had a dream that Fitz had signed.

This morning I woke up, and Fitz has signed!!!

:raccoon:

Arthur, do us all a favor. Take a nap this morning and dream that Dockett and Dansby have also signed. We're counting on you buddy. :thumbup:

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Arthur, do us all a favor. Take a nap this morning and dream that Dockett and Dansby have also signed. We're counting on you buddy. :thumbup:

I'll do my best.

AzCards06

Rookie
Reaction score
I have no quarrel with Pete Kendall, except he couldn't finish a season.

That being said, Pete shouldn't have been so surprised he was cut, after we drafted the top two centers in the draft.

Larry Fitzgerald will be around for the next 6 years, this is all good. Once the new TV contract is finalized, his contract won't look bad at all.

It's go time.

Arvos

Veteran
Reaction score
Why the over payment?

I can understand the happy thoughts on getting Fitz in camp but you should be a bit peturbed that they overpayed as they did. Players are slotted based on draft position not how good they think they are. I think this contract along with Winslow's potential deal are going to be negative trendsetters for future years in the NFL. Think what you will of Quan but, baby, its still about the money. Quan is going to have a monster year and hes gonna figure out hes the lowest paid of the three top WR's on the team. His demands are going to make Fitz contract look rather puney. With the cap as it is there is no way you can afford to pay both your WR's like that, and still field a competative team. I look for QUAN to hold out next year......

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Arvos said:
I look for QUAN to hold out next year......

Sorry I don't see Quan holdin out. Not the guys character. The Cards will take care of him the question is how much will they pay him?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard