Fitzgerald Signs Record Deal

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
No one else thinks this was an insane asinine move but me? Good must mean I am on to something...

One thing for sure its going to throw rookie deals out of whack in the future.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
No one else thinks this was an insane asinine move but me? Good must mean I am on to something...
First you complain because Fitz won't be signed "for two months". Now you complain because he is signed. :rolleyes:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Renz said:
First you complain because Fitz won't be signed "for two months". Now you complain because he is signed. :rolleyes:

Oh Ill be very happy to eat crow on him coming in. But can a WR single handidly take you to the superbowl? Do you really believe WR's should be paid more than QB's now renz? Are you completely insane?

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
If it's not one thing it's another? No offence SWD, but it looks like you are trying to find something to complain about.

spanky1

Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Oh Ill be very happy to eat crow on him coming in. But can a WR single handidly take you to the superbowl? Do you really believe WR's should be paid more than QB's now renz? Are you completely insane?

I'll go on record as saying I'd take (and pay) Fitz more than Eli.......and yes, I think a Pro Bowl WR is just as valuable as a Pro Bowl QB.

chickenhead

Reaction score
swd1974 said:
I'm with you to a certain extent. The fact that he's signed is the most important thing IMO. But was he not going to sign for less than a record? Our cap room should be used more wisely than this. However, I also see the point of those pointing to this as evidence of a big change in the franchise.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
I'll go on record as saying I'd take (and pay) Fitz more than Eli.......and yes, I think a Pro Bowl WR is just as valuable as a Pro Bowl QB.

a Pro bowl wr is as valuable as a pro bowl qb? :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Redsz said:
If it's not one thing it's another? No offence SWD, but it looks like you are trying to find something to complain about.

First thing I complained about. oh and Kendall yeah. SORRY I dont think we should sell the franchise on 1 wr and cut our best player.

What was I thinking eh?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NFL probably has the best contract/ pay system in professional sports... except for rookie compensation. This is just absurd. It can't really blame the Cardinals too much. They needed to get Fitzgerald in camp for the team and for their image. I blame the NFL and the NFL players union. They need to get a rookie pay scale. The veteran players should welcome it because it would leave more money for them. This is one area where the NBA clearly has a better system in place..

Joe Mama

redbirdofwar

Reaction score
The NFL has already floated the idea of a sliding scale for the incoming rookie class ala the NBA. Nobody from the players association has said anything good or bad about it. I would think the players association would welcome it. Older veterans would get a larger chunk of the salary cap, and while rookies would still get a nice sized piece of the pie, they would have to earn a retirement contract like Fitz's.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:

Your just pissed because he's not holding out into the season.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
redbirdofwar said:
The NFL has already floated the idea of a sliding scale for the incoming rookie class ala the NBA. Nobody from the players association has said anything good or bad about it. I would think the players association would welcome it. Older veterans would get a larger chunk of the salary cap, and while rookies would still get a nice sized piece of the pie, they would have to earn a retirement contract like Fitz's.

The nail in the coffin will be if Winslow gets a bigger deal than Manning then everything will be really be in whack. They should put a rookie payscale by next year and next years top pick will be trading down a lot since they might have to pony up 30 million or something.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:

lol no the one good thing is that he will be in. That is great news. But was the price worth it is my question. You dont think a 12 million signing bonus sounds steep? Inline? What about 20 million?

Well its not your money. And I know from the jones draft that not many people count foresight as important to consider....

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:

pray to god that we dont pick in the top 5 next year. It will be at least a 30 million dollar signing bonus and you will have to cut Boldin/Shelton/Jackson or some other top talent.

Keep thinking for the moment. Thats the way superbowls are won... :rolleyes:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
lol no the one good thing is that he will be in. That is great news. But was the price worth it is my question. You dont think a 12 million signing bonus sounds steep? Inline? What about 20 million?

Well its not your money. And I know from the jones draft that not many people count foresight as important to consider....

Well, I thought there was NO WAY Fitz would get 20 mil when spanky1 posted it. I was was wrong, and major props to spanky! And, none of these rookies are worth that much money. I think Fitz is the least likely to bust of the top 5, but that doesn't mean he'll be top superstar like Moss.

There's no doubt in my mind that the release of Kendall was also due to this contract. Not the only reason, but a big one.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Well, I'm definitely insane, but I don't know about "completely".

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
pray to god that we dont pick in the top 5 next year. It will be at least a 30 million dollar signing bonus and you will have to cut Boldin/Shelton/Jackson or some other top talent.

Keep thinking for the moment. Thats the way superbowls are won... :rolleyes:

We won't cut Boldin. Green is shifting the money from the line to the WRs.

Swd, this team has been on a constant five year plan since I've been a fan and you've been a fan. Except for 1998, where has our brilliant long range planning gone? Besides, how can anyone say these moves are designed to win now, screw the future? If anything, Green has made it tougher to win this season.

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
Those damn cheapskate Bidwill's. I'm telling you....Michael is behind this. That creep is just like his old man. I betcha he had a personal hand in this. :mad:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I just found out that ESPN is wrong about this deal being a rookie record.

It is a rookie record for bonus money the same amount that Manning got, but not a record deal.

Vick signed a 6 year 62 million deal.

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
It is only $60 Million if all the goals are reached in the contract and that never happens...pro bowls, # of catches, etc.

I am just glad to get him in on time, Boldin has to be unhappy being the third highest paid WR on this team.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if making sure "crybaby Eli" didn't get the largest/highest signing bonus is something that was in the back of their mind?

Also, is it possible to pay two wr that kind of money? Sure hope so.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard