First Round Draft Picks & The Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cards moved to Arizona for the 1988 season. That's 23 seasons counting this one and 23 drafts. To say our first round picks, for the most part, have been less than stellar is an understatement. So, let's have a look at our first round picks over the years:

1988: Ken Harvey, LB-Harvey was a decent to good linebacker. He racked up 47 1/2 sacks in his 6 seasons with us. Judging by players taken after Harvey, we did pretty good here. Only Randall McDaniel's name stands out.

1989: Eric Hill, LB-Although he played a lot of years, he really didn't amount to what you'd expect of a 1st round selection. Notable players taken after him were Andre Rison and Steve Atwater.

1989(Supplemental): Timm Rosenbach, QB-Rosenbach was taken in the supplemental draft in '89 due to the fact that we needed someone to replace the now retired Neil Lomax. Timm's 1st year as a starter, he played OK putting up Jake Plummer like numbers(3,000+ yards, 16TD, 17INT). He also gained over 400 yards rushing and had a fire in his belly to go with it. Had he stayed healthy and not gotten hurt, which severely damaged his psyche, our past might have been vastly different than what it turned out to be.

1990: No Draft Pick due to taking Rosenbach in the '89 supplemental draft.

1991: Eric Swann, DT-The big gamble. Drafting Swann, who was a beast of a man, at #6 even though he never went to college, was a huge risk and when healthy, he paid dividends. He was a big part of that 1998 run. No one of note taken after him that would make me regret taking Swann. Again, if he was healthy, he could have been great.

1992: No First Round Pick-Anyone remember why?

1993: Garrison Hearst, RB-A good running back, Bugel took Hearst, who was injury prone even in college, over the likes of Marvin Jones, Willie Roaf, Lincoln Kennedy, but Hearst showed flashes of brilliance when healthy but he got injured his rookie season. Had he been healthy, we might not have had a losing season and might have had to endure the Buddy Ryan years.

1993#2: Ernest Dye, OT-Dye was a big body. Not a horrible tackle. Left after the 96 season and played 1 season in STL but we re-signed him for 1998 but he was in a major car accident which cost him the use of his right arm.

1994: Jamir Miller, LB-Buddy's first draft pick and he takes a near Seth Joyner clone in Miller. But Miller was a good linebacker and played a big part in the 1998 run. Sadly, he was the first to go when the Bidwills decided to break that team up.

1995: No pick again-Anybody remember why?

1996: Simeon Rice, DE-Ah, probably the best 1st round pick we had until Fitz. 51 1/2 sacks in his 5 years as a Cardinal including 12.5 his rookie season. Rice was a beast. As much a beast as someone like Strahan or Freeny or Mario Williams. The guy was a flat out monster...and the Bidwills ran him out of town. Some didn't like his line about Phoenix being the armpit of the NFL but was he really wrong?

1997: Tommy Knight, DB-Tommy Knight. Even though he is a homeboy of mine(he grew up in a town not too far from me), but the guy couldn't cover a book. Think Antrell Rolle as a CB only worse. Of course, we take him when Tony Gonzalez is sitting there as well as Rae Carruth...J/K on the Carruth thing.

1998: Andre Wadsworth, DE-I did not think this was a bad pick. Yes Tra Thomas, Fred Taylor, Randy Moss, Alan Faneca, and Greg Ellis were sitting there but Wadsworth was a stud coming out of FSU. But he held out, and became made of glass and even though he showed promise, never panned out. The biggest draft bust in AZ probably Levi Brown.

1999: David Boston, WR-A stud. A Straight out stud. A roided out stud as we came to find out but there is no mistake that David Boston, while here, became the best WR this team ever saw since Roy Green and until Anquan Boldin and Fitz to follow. Looking at that draft, and this includes those who went before him, there is no one I would have rather had than Boston that year. Edge maybe but not entirely. If Thomas Jones could have been half the back he was in Chicago and NY and with Boston, with Plummer we could have had a great team for years.

2000: Thomas Jones, RB-He had 1 decent game with us his entire 3 years here but we cut him loose and he becomes a 1,000 yard rusher. Go figure. The sad thing is, we needed a linebacker and Urlacher was there but we draft a 200lb scat back.

2001: Leonard Davis, OL-Oy. Where to begin here. We had the #2 pick in the entire draft. We had anyone in the world we wanted to draft except Michael Vick and we waste it on big D. We could have traded down for him easily but nooooo. We hold fast and draft him instead of Tomlinson. Big D was the original Human Turnstile here but of course, we cut him loose and he becomes a pro bowl guard in Dallas.

2002: Wendell Bryant, DT-Another stellar pick in the McGinnis era. This guy couldn't tackle me sitting in my lounger right now. Terrible, terrible pick with Shockey, Haynesworth, Donte Stallworth, Javon Walker, Ed Reed, my cats, anyone but this stiff.

2003: Bryant Johnson, WR & Calvin Pace, DE-It's our turn to pick and there sits a stud of a LB/DE in Suggs so what does McGinnis do? Trades down and takes 2 stiffs while Baltimore scarfs up Suggs in a hurry. Johnson never amounted to anything but a sometime deep threat while Pace was OK, he wasn't worthy of a 1st rounder. And no, stealing Boldin in the middle of the 2nd round doesn't make up for this debacle.

2004: Larry Fitzgerald, WR-Bar none the best 1st round pick in my lifetime as a Card fan. In fact, the 2004 draft was the deepest draft in Cardinals history because we got Dansby, Dockett, & Antonio Smith.

2005: Antrell Rolle, CB-Terrible as a CB but became a pro bowler as a safety. Of course, he left for NY now.

2006: Matt Leinart, QB-Do I really need to dwell on this?

2007: Levi Brown, OL-The Human Turnstile. Need I say more? He'll probably become a pro bowl lineman like Big D.

2008: DRC, DB-Shows flashes but right now, he couldn't cover a book either.

2009: Beanie Wells, RB-Jury still out.

2010: Dan Williams, DT-Jury is still out.

This team has always been cursed in the 1st round and I know the draft is dicey at best but come on, with all of the high picks over the years, you'd think we'd have had more than 3 winning seasons.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
1992 we traded our first round pick to Miami for Randall Hill.

1995 we traded our first round pick to NYJ for Rob Moore.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1992 we traded our first round pick to Miami for Randall Hill.

1995 we traded our first round pick to NYJ for Rob Moore.

I thought Moore was later but thanks. Moore paid off for us actually. And I forgot all about "Thrill" Hill.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
1998: Andre Wadsworth, DE-I did not think this was a bad pick. Yes Tra Thomas, Fred Taylor, Randy Moss, Alan Faneca, and Greg Ellis were sitting there but Wadsworth was a stud coming out of FSU. But he held out, and became made of glass and even though he showed promise, never panned out. The biggest draft bust in AZ probably Levi Brown.
Charles Woodson was there too. Picked by the Raiders right after we picked the Big Wad.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cards moved to Arizona for the 1988 season. That's 23 seasons counting this one and 23 drafts. To say our first round picks, for the most part, have been less than stellar is an understatement. So, let's have a look at our first round picks over the years:

1989(Supplemental): Timm Rosenbach, QB-Rosenbach was taken in the supplemental draft in '89 due to the fact that we needed someone to replace the now retired Neil Lomax. Timm's 1st year as a starter, he played OK putting up Jake Plummer like numbers(3,000+ yards, 16TD, 17INT). He also gained over 400 yards rushing and had a fire in his belly to go with it. Had he stayed healthy and not gotten hurt, which severely damaged his psyche, our past might have been vastly different than what it turned out to be.

1993#2: Ernest Dye, OT-Dye was a big body. Not a horrible tackle. Left after the 96 season and played 1 season in STL but we re-signed him for 1998 but he was in a major car accident which cost him the use of his right arm.

1997: Tommy Knight, DB-Tommy Knight. Even though he is a homeboy of mine(he grew up in a town not too far from me), but the guy couldn't cover a book. Think Antrell Rolle as a CB only worse. Of course, we take him when Tony Gonzalez is sitting there as well as Rae Carruth...J/K on the Carruth thing.

2002: Wendell Bryant, DT-Another stellar pick in the McGinnis era. This guy couldn't tackle me sitting in my lounger right now. Terrible, terrible pick with Shockey, Haynesworth, Donte Stallworth, Javon Walker, Ed Reed, my cats, anyone but this stiff.

This team has always been cursed in the 1st round and I know the draft is dicey at best but come on, with all of the high picks over the years, you'd think we'd have had more than 3 winning seasons.

IMWO these are the first round busts. That's 5 in 23 years which is probably on course with most teams.

Two of those 5 are on QB's which is also probably on course with the NFL avg.

I don't count players who were injury prone (Wads) and I don't count players who went on to have a good to great career in the NFL.

The issue was more about poor coaching and player morale negatively impacted by the front office then poor talen evaluation.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bears are probably right up there with the Cards in terms of crappy first round picks.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
2001: Leonard Davis, OL-Oy. Where to begin here. We had the #2 pick in the entire draft. We had anyone in the world we wanted to draft except Michael Vick and we waste it on big D. We could have traded down for him easily but nooooo. We hold fast and draft him instead of Tomlinson

The Cards had just drafted Thomas Jones in the first round the year before. They had him and David Boston and Jake Plummer and Frank Sanders. They desperately needed offensive linemen. The Cards also picked up Pete Kendall as a free agent and built a fairly decent oline for two seasons before the team completely collapsed under a wave of injuries and discontented personalities.

David Boston set the franchise record for receiving yards in 2001 and Thomas Jones and Marcel Shipp combined to rush for 1,345 yards at 4.1 ypc in 2002 an average that wasn't matched again until last season.

Not bad for the Dark Ages of Arizona Cardinal football.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
IMWO these are the first round busts. That's 5 in 23 years which is probably on course with most teams.

Two of those 5 are on QB's which is also probably on course with the NFL avg.

I don't count players who were injury prone (Wads) and I don't count players who went on to have a good to great career in the NFL.

The issue was more about poor coaching and player morale negatively impacted by the front office than poor talent evaluation.

True. The problem with the Cards first round draft picks wasn't that they couldn't play. It was that they couldn't play for the Cards.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's unfair to label Rosenbach a bust then give a pass to injury prone players. Rosenbach looked like the real deal in his one full season then he blew his knee out in practice. I'm betting he was never hurt in his life and it killed his psyche. He certainly wasn't a bust in the Leinart sense.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
I would say Beanie has gone the way of those bean farts in Blazing Saddles. His college rep of being injury prone has come to life. I am not sure the rep was deserved in college but he has earned it in the pros. He wil never be a back to carry a team.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't think it's fair to say that Leonard Davis was a bust. Played (started?) every game as a Cardinal, never complained. He didn't play to the level that he was expected to when he was here and has befitted his draft status, but even as an OT he far outperformed what we're currently seeing from Levi Brown.

Wendell Bryant was a collossal bust. He was drafted over Haynesworth because he was less of a character risk, but that turned out to be because he was high all the time. What a huge waste.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the memories...

1988: Ken Harvey, LB-Harvey was a decent to good linebacker. He racked up 47 1/2 sacks in his 6 seasons with us. Judging by players taken after Harvey, we did pretty good here. Only Randall McDaniel's name stands out.

1989: Eric Hill, LB-Although he played a lot of years, he really didn't amount to what you'd expect of a 1st round selection. Notable players taken after him were Andre Rison and Steve Atwater.

1990: No Draft Pick due to taking Rosenbach in the '89 supplemental draft.

1991: Eric Swann, DT-The big gamble. Drafting Swann, who was a beast of a man, at #6 even though he never went to college, was a huge risk and when healthy, he paid dividends. He was a big part of that 1998 run. No one of note taken after him that would make me regret taking Swann. Again, if he was healthy, he could have been great.

1992: No First Round Pick-Anyone remember why?

1993: Garrison Hearst, RB-A good running back, Bugel took Hearst, who was injury prone even in college, over the likes of Marvin Jones, Willie Roaf, Lincoln Kennedy, but Hearst showed flashes of brilliance when healthy but he got injured his rookie season. Had he been healthy, we might not have had a losing season and might have had to endure the Buddy Ryan years.

1994: Jamir Miller, LB-Buddy's first draft pick and he takes a near Seth Joyner clone in Miller. But Miller was a good linebacker and played a big part in the 1998 run. Sadly, he was the first to go when the Bidwills decided to break that team up.

1995: No pick again-Anybody remember why?

1996: Simeon Rice, DE-Ah, probably the best 1st round pick we had until Fitz. 51 1/2 sacks in his 5 years as a Cardinal including 12.5 his rookie season. Rice was a beast. As much a beast as someone like Strahan or Freeny or Mario Williams. The guy was a flat out monster...and the Bidwills ran him out of town. Some didn't like his line about Phoenix being the armpit of the NFL but was he really wrong?

1999: David Boston, WR-A stud. A Straight out stud. A roided out stud as we came to find out but there is no mistake that David Boston, while here, became the best WR this team ever saw since Roy Green and until Anquan Boldin and Fitz to follow. Looking at that draft, and this includes those who went before him, there is no one I would have rather had than Boston that year. Edge maybe but not entirely. If Thomas Jones could have been half the back he was in Chicago and NY and with Boston, with Plummer we could have had a great team for years.

2000: Thomas Jones, RB-He had 1 decent game with us his entire 3 years here but we cut him loose and he becomes a 1,000 yard rusher. Go figure. The sad thing is, we needed a linebacker and Urlacher was there but we draft a 200lb scat back.

2001: Leonard Davis, OL-Oy. Where to begin here. We had the #2 pick in the entire draft. We had anyone in the world we wanted to draft except Michael Vick and we waste it on big D. We could have traded down for him easily but nooooo. We hold fast and draft him instead of Tomlinson. Big D was the original Human Turnstile here but of course, we cut him loose and he becomes a pro bowl guard in Dallas.

2003: Bryant Johnson, WR & Calvin Pace, DE-It's our turn to pick and there sits a stud of a LB/DE in Suggs so what does McGinnis do? Trades down and takes 2 stiffs while Baltimore scarfs up Suggs in a hurry. Johnson never amounted to anything but a sometime deep threat while Pace was OK, he wasn't worthy of a 1st rounder. And no, stealing Boldin in the middle of the 2nd round doesn't make up for this debacle.

2004: Larry Fitzgerald, WR-Bar none the best 1st round pick in my lifetime as a Card fan. In fact, the 2004 draft was the deepest draft in Cardinals history because we got Dansby, Dockett, & Antonio Smith.

2005: Antrell Rolle, CB-Terrible as a CB but became a pro bowler as a safety. Of course, he left for NY now.

2007: Levi Brown, OL-The Human Turnstile. Need I say more? He'll probably become a pro bowl lineman like Big D.

2008: DRC, DB-Shows flashes but right now, he couldn't cover a book either.

2009: Beanie Wells, RB-Jury still out.

2010: Dan Williams, DT-Jury is still out.

....the last one before your cutoff was truly the worst though....1987....I told all my friends we were going to draft Rod Woodson, who everyone and there brother knew was a true "can't miss" prospect.....when they announced Kelly Stouffer I audibly gasped.....Rod Woodson, Jerome Brown, Shane Conlan all staring you in the face....and you f'ing take Kelly f'ing Stouffer?!?!?!

I will never get over that debacle......every single time I see Woodson on NFL Network, it's still painful....

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think it's unfair to label Rosenbach a bust then give a pass to injury prone players. Rosenbach looked like the real deal in his one full season then he blew his knee out in practice. I'm betting he was never hurt in his life and it killed his psyche. He certainly wasn't a bust in the Leinart sense.

the injury that killed Rosenbach's career was a dislocated shoulder courtesy of Clyde Simmons -- who pretty much intentionally drove his shoulder into the ground during a sack

Rosenbach -- like Leinart -- was never the same mentally after that injury

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the injury that killed Rosenbach's career was a dislocated shoulder courtesy of Clyde Simmons -- who pretty much intentionally drove his shoulder into the ground during a sack

Rosenbach -- like Leinart -- was never the same mentally after that injury
That came after the blown knee but blowing out the knee got in his head. Before that he was a ball to the wall scrambler like Plummer but after he blew his knee out, he became tentative and timid.

Tashunca

Registered
Reaction score
I wanted Dennis to draft Marion Barber in the third round and save that E. James money. The next year I wanted to draft Jones-Drew in the second round. We could have had BOTH of thesebacks at the same time. What links them: Character. They both come from strong families. They give their all.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
IIRC Eric Swann was not a factor in 1998. He was injured the second half of the season and our line was Wadsworth, Mark Smith, Simeon Rice, and one other guy I can't remember the name of (barron tanner maybe??). But I distinctly remember no Swann in that 4 game run at the end of the season.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
IIRC Eric Swann was not a factor in 1998. He was injured the second half of the season and our line was Wadsworth, Mark Smith, Simeon Rice, and one other guy I can't remember the name of (barron tanner maybe??). But I distinctly remember no Swann in that 4 game run at the end of the season.

Correct. And that tarnished Swann's reputation with Cards fans. Leading to things like we saw here, being labeled a first round bust, even though for the first 7 years of his career he was considered by many to be one of the best first round picks ever for the Cards.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
Correct. And that tarnished Swann's reputation with Cards fans. Leading to things like we saw here, being labeled a first round bust, even though for the first 7 years of his career he was considered by many to be one of the best first round picks ever for the Cards.

Absolutely, no way Swann was a bust. Dude was a beast when healthy; easily a top 10 interior d-lineman in the entire League.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I shudder at those 2001-03 picks but revisiting the loss of Lomax and then Rosenbach to injury gets me the most. A lot of teams have to start over a lot in the backfield, but we were pressing reset at QB for a full decade. Maybe that's why I recall the Plummer years more fondly than many. Despite his inconsistencies on the field, he did hold down that job.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard