First Avenger: Captain America

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got back, while I enjoyed it I didn't think it was as good as Iron Man but it was WAY better than either Hulk movie and probably on par with Thor(maybe slightly better).

Make sure you stick around until the very end of the credits as they have a full Avengers trailer.

If that is the case then it is worth seeing. Thor was a complete surprise to me.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just got back, while I enjoyed it I didn't think it was as good as Iron Man but it was WAY better than either Hulk movie and probably on par with Thor(maybe slightly better).

Make sure you stick around until the very end of the credits as they have a full Avengers trailer.

Pretty much exactly how I felt. I thought it was pretty much equal to Thor(with maybe a slight edge to Thor). A few parts felt rushed and there wasn't much character development beyond Captain America, but I enjoyed it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that is the case then it is worth seeing. Thor was a complete surprise to me.

If it's as good as Thor, I'm happy. loved half of Thor (all the stuff in the Aasgard was awesome, Earth stuff was just okay)... made it a solid "like". if I can walk out of Cap feeling the same way, it'll be money well spent.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty good. I was a little disappointed just on the reviews I'd read from critics--I was going in expecting it to blow me away. It didn't, but it was really good.

Evans surprised me--he did a pretty good job. I still worry about how his version of Cap will stand up with an ensemble cast. He's supposed to be awe-inspiring even among other super heroes. Hulk and Thor respect him. I'm still not sure Evans can pull off that kind of presence.

But it was really good. Go see it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I thought Thor was better, but it sounds like you didn't like it as much as I did.

like I said, I LOVED all the stuff that happened off Earth, just thought 75% of the on Earth stuff moved a little too slow for my taste.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's as good as Thor, I'm happy. loved half of Thor (all the stuff in the Aasgard was awesome, Earth stuff was just okay)... made it a solid "like". if I can walk out of Cap feeling the same way, it'll be money well spent.

Personally I thought Thor was better, but it sounds like you didn't like it as much as I did.

like I said, I LOVED all the stuff that happened off Earth, just thought 75% of the on Earth stuff moved a little too slow for my taste.

Just got back. I definitely liked it. But like Pariah I thought Thor was a much better movie. Not on par at all.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But like Pariah I thought Thor was a much better movie. Not on par at all.
Just as a point of clarification, I didn't think they was a huge gap between the two, I just preferred Thor. I think they were pretty close to equal in terms of enjoyment.

:raccoon:

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was better than Thor but not by much. The first Iron Man is still the standard for all Marvel movies and Captain America was not quite able to match that movie. It all starts with the main actor and while Chris Evans was very good in his role, Robert Downey Jr. was absolutely perfect. All that said it was a very good movie that gets you ready for the Avengers. Stay after for a preview.

Also, I hope Hayley Atwell becomes a major movie star. Holy crap is she gorgeous and she was able to go up against Captain America and Tommy Lee Jones with no issues.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cap good... Thor VERY good... Iron Man... great.

That's pretty much my scorecard. Can't wait for the Avengers. Really liked Loki as a bad guy and if the rumors are true that he somehow takes a control of the Hulk and it's Thor/Cap/Iron Man v. Loki/Hulk, that should be a hell of a showdown.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I was bored with 75% of it. Felt like a really long movie for me even though it wasn't.

I thought Evans was great as the skinny guy, but after the transformation he went back to being a bad actor again.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was a good movie. I think liking Cap or Thor better is a matter of taste. If you are more into the fantasy element, I could understand liking Thor better. However, these movies were both on the same level IMO. They just nailed this movie feeling like a classic comic IMO.

I really like Captain America and what they showed at the end of the movie and the leaked preview before it was taken down has me very excited for the Avengers. They are going to play up him being a fish out of water and his feelings of knowing everyone he knows and loves is dead and gone.

This was a good movie. The Avengers looks to be off the hook.

Last edited:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I think the world may be coming of it's axis .... what started with me talking my wife into seeing Iron Man and then pretty much putting her in an arm lock to see Thor (which she justified to her friends with "at least it will have good eye candy") .... to now, with so many options of things to do when her parents are in town and will be able to watch the kids for a couple of hours .... she drops the "I really want to see captain american when my parents are in town, ok?" text on me

yeah - i think we can make that happen

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I saw it tonight and liked it ok. It's probably my least favorite out of the 4 Avengers (intro) movies but I liked it better than Iron Man 2 forsure.

Cant wait for Avengers!

You must be registered for see images

Wait did I say I liked this movie? On second thought, I LOVED her,, er I mean them,,, errr no,, it, I loved it, the movie... yeah...

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
thought it was good. put thor slightly ahead of it. neither compared to iron man. i think avengers will be outstanding. particularly sliding in hawkeye somehow.

wonder how the originator feels about no antman or wasp?

if they go thor/cap/iron man against loki/hulk that movie will be off da hook!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I saw reviews saying this was the best super hero movie ever made,...so maybe I was set up for disappointment...it was okay, had some strong qualities....but Iron Man was much better.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw reviews saying this was the best super hero movie ever made,...so maybe I was set up for disappointment...it was okay, had some strong qualities....but Iron Man was much better.

That's what happens when you listen to the fringe reviews. The majority of reviews didn't say that. That's why I like to go to Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes. You get a better sense for the movie and usually helps me avoid let downs.

However, if there is a movie I really want to see nothing a critic says stops me from seeing it. Usually the only time I might listen to critics is if I am really on the fence. Then if someone I know says it sucks, I might not see it. Even when I check critics though is still via the sites because listen to one critic is basically useless.

Last edited:

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good fun! Characters and gimmicks pretty much true to the comics. Hugo was an outstanding Red Skull (dandy makeup/cgi). 3.5 out of 5 stars.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife and I watched this on July 3rd. On the flight deck of the USS Midway in San Diego. Pretty cool experience.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Was a good movie. I think liking Cap or Thor better is a matter of taste. If you are more into the fantasy element, I could understand liking Thor better. However, these movies were both on the same level IMO. They just nailed this movie feeling like a classic comic IMO.

I really like Captain America and what they showed at the end of the movie and the leaked preview before it was taken down has me very excited for the Avengers. They are going to play up him being a fish out of water and his feelings of knowing everyone he knows and loves is dead and gone.

This was a good movie. The Avengers looks to be off the hook.

Fun movie. I thought the pacing was a little strange at times, but that's typically the case for me when watching superhero films. I thought Chris Evans was terrific for the role.

The "fish out of water" is my favorite aspect of the character.