First Avenger: Captain America

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IN THE COMICS.

Don't you think it's pretty clear that they will deviate from the comics for the Avengers movie? They did it for X-Men, why not The Avengers? This is the danger you get into when trying to look at a multiple hero movie with already established individuals.

And really, there is nobody out there that could portray the kind of authority needed to lead RDJ, Ed Norton and Samuel L. Jackson.

Then again, remember, RDJ WAS led by Ben freaking Stiller of all people at one time.
They may have changed some storylines, but 99% of the time they've tried to be pretty true to the ethos of the characters. For instance, they killed cyclops, but he was still cyclops.

You can't have Captain frigging America in a movie and not have him be the most charismatic leader (whether or not it's in name) on the screen. At the very essence of Captain America is that even anti-heroes like Punisher and Wolverine stand in awe of the man and what he stands for.

So, yes, while I think both BIM and I understand that this is a different genre, I don't think they're going to have Captain America take a back seat to Nick Fury in his own movie. They might not be able to pull it off if Evans is wearing the uniform, but they'll try.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
They may have changed some storylines, but 99% of the time they've tried to be pretty true to the ethos of the characters. For instance, they killed cyclops, but he was still cyclops.

You can't have Captain frigging America in a movie and not have him be the most charismatic leader (whether or not it's in name) on the screen. At the very essence of Captain America is that even anti-heroes like Punisher and Wolverine stand in awe of the man and what he stands for.

So, yes, while I think both BIM and I understand that this is a different genre, I don't think they're going to have Captain America take a back seat to Nick Fury in his own movie. They might not be able to pull it off if Evans is wearing the uniform, but they'll try.

I thought we were talking about the Avengers movie, not the Captain America movie.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the casting of Bucky is fine. I'm still not happy with Evans.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the casting of Bucky is fine. I'm still not happy with Evans.
I think impaling Bucky on the end of a rocket is fine (I know in the comics he was blown up, but I believe in something more... visceral?).

If they decide to make Bucky 'the man behind the plot' ala Cobra Commander in the GI Joe movie then I will drive to California and stab someone in the eye.

This won't work for a number of reasons:
Cap is too big an ideal to capture in film. It's about a spirit modern American's can't connect with; the same spirit that embodied the greatest generation. We're too soft and too whiny to get why this guy is who he is and does what he does and why it's cool.
This story simply won't resonate with the viewing audience at this time, the same way the messages of Watchmen were understood, but feel flat, to today's audience.
He's impossible to cast correctly. There's a reason the US military wanted a super-solider program (in the fiction). Because this dude doesn't exist.
Is CG a notable fix?
The costume is as much Cap as the man underneath. Too iconic, but I see why they can't have it on camera for too long and I agree that the USO bit is a cleaver way to acknowledge that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're trying.
I'm rooting for them.
But it's a stacked deck.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember thinking that when they first announced Spiderman that it had a high probability of being to campy and bomb. I thought that again with the first X-men. I am going to hold off judgment here on that aspect.

In terms of casting though, it's interesting because I think this casting would work from a perspective of an origin story of Cap. However, in all of the comics that I read and the cartoons about him he comes off as a very charismatic leader. The type of person that when he enters the room there is no doubt he is the leader.

That's the part I can't wrap my head around. So, I can see if they are going more of a "Cap discovers who he is" perspective in this casting. I am just not sure I can see him as anything more then that. I guess we shall see.

To be honest though, I much less worried about his film then Thor. I just don't see how they can do that movie......

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't Captain American and camp synonymous? I suppose they could avoid it by directly taking on the issue of nationalism vs. actual patriotism, but I can't see a comic book movie getting political. It would be cool if they would, but I don't see it.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:confused:

I've never thought so...I don't think anyone who read Captain America or the Avengers would think so, either.

I had a subscription as a kid in the 70s. I loved them, but I was also aware of the 40s era nationalism ingrained into the storyline. In fact, the revived Steve Rogers ended up struggling with it during the faux Nixon-esque storyline and has to redefine his patriotism. But it was still full of a kind of American hope I think is hard to understand in today's world.

Who knows. Maybe this will be the kind of movie that revives hope. Hard to do, though. A guy in red, white, and blue tights on a campaign to promote American exceptionalism ... it's just ripe for camp.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a subscription as a kid in the 70s. I loved them, but I was also aware of the 40s era nationalism ingrained into the storyline. In fact, the revived Steve Rogers ended up struggling with it during the faux Nixon-esque storyline and has to redefine his patriotism. But it was still full of a kind of American hope I think is hard to understand in today's world.

Who knows. Maybe this will be the kind of movie that revives hope. Hard to do, though. A guy in red, white, and blue tights on a campaign to promote American exceptionalism ... it's just ripe for camp.
But what you described above isn't campy. Neither is a recent storyline about the federal government insisting on having heroes register--and Cap dissenting and becoming an enemy of the state for it.

But, you're right--it might end up campy...but they've pulled it off with batman (who has WAY more camp in his history than cap) and spiderman.

My biggest concern with the movie isn't that he's wearing a costume or the potential storyline...it's Evans (I shuddered just typing his name).

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Concept art from Comic-Con:

You must be registered for see images attach

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was skeptical when i heard who was directing this, but that's a pretty good teaser trailer and i think they did a damn good job of making the suit look pretty awesome, as opposed to a straight adaptation of the one in the comics, which would have looked ridiculous.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
i was skeptical when i heard who was directing this, but that's a pretty good teaser trailer and i think they did a damn good job of making the suit look pretty awesome, as opposed to a straight adaptation of the one in the comics, which would have looked ridiculous.

I agree the suit looks good. But the movie itself? Meh.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree the suit looks good. But the movie itself? Meh.

I couldn't tell anything from that trailer other then it has some cool looking period visuals. When I see a longer trailer I will probably get a better idea.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard