First Avenger: Captain America

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they did a damn good job of making the suit look pretty awesome, as opposed to a straight adaptation of the one in the comics, which would have looked ridiculous.
Just a fan-boy aside, the suit IS almost a stright adaption of the one in the comics, just not the iconic one that we're used to seeing. Marvel sort of rebooted the whole universe with a line of books that take place in the "Ultimate" Marvel Universe.

Here's a picture of Cap in WWII from that line of comics:

You must be registered for see images

And his modern uniform from that line:

You must be registered for see images

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Painting a giant white A on your helmet seems a little silly for combat purposes. :)

I am not an expert but I have seen a bunch of WWII movies as well as Band of BrOthers.

:)

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Chaplin or Cheese can answer this: does 2 or 3 weeks leading up to a big movie release like this one make all that much difference? Wouldn't it have made marketing sense to release it on the weekend of the 4th of July (for both the tie-in to Independence Day and the long weekend)?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Maybe Chaplin or Cheese can answer this: does 2 or 3 weeks leading up to a big movie release like this one make all that much difference? Wouldn't it have made marketing sense to release it on the weekend of the 4th of July (for both the tie-in to Independence Day and the long weekend)?

Depends on the movie. I think with these minor super hero movies that seem all the rage, it's good to get people thinking about them sooner rather than later. They cease becoming a simple movie release and become an "event," regardless of how good or bad the movie is.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Transformers and Captain America are both Paramount pictures and they're not going to stake one of the biggest weekends of the year on a somewhat second tier Superhero (and by somewhat second-tier, i mean not Supes, Batman, X-Men or even an established Iron Man at this point), when they've had such incredible success with Transformers on that same weekend. Transformers, regardless of how badly the last one was panned, is the absolute sure fire bet for a smash holiday weekend. basically, if it ain't broke...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Transformers and Captain America are both Paramount pictures and they're not going to stake one of the biggest weekends of the year on a somewhat second tier Superhero (and by somewhat second-tier, i mean not Supes, Batman, X-Men or even an established Iron Man at this point), when they've had such incredible success with Transformers on that same weekend. Transformers, regardless of how badly the last one was panned, is the absolute sure fire bet for a smash holiday weekend. basically, if it ain't broke...

Oh, it's broke[en], but it still makes money :D

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I thought the trailer for Captain America was the best one shown during the Super Bowl but like another poster said I need to see a longer one to fully see where they are going with this movie. On a side note, did you guys see the shot of Red Skull? His make-up looked amazing.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I thought the trailer shown during the SB was terrible. Something about it seemed low budget. I don't know if it was the tackiness in the appearance of the uniform or the Benjamin Button like CG to scrawny up Evans, but it wasn't appealing to me.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Painting a giant white A on your helmet seems a little silly for combat purposes. :)

I am not an expert but I have seen a bunch of WWII movies as well as Band of BrOthers.

:)

What about "Born to Kill?"

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this may not be Iron Man in terms of RIDICULOUS money, but i think it's ends up being the surprise of the summer. what i thought would be a 125-150 million dollar money maker I now think has a shot at 250 based on the trailer. looks really good.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I never read comics when I was a kid (not saying anything against it, I had lots of friends who read comics I just spent all my money on video games, oh and pot, lots of pot :p ) so I'm a little confused on whos an Avenger and who's in the Justice league and who's an Xman, etc etc etc. This looks pretty cool but I have no idea what Captain America can do other than having the shield thats indestructible. I'll still go see it, it looks cool, although how many superheroes is this dude going to play? lol.

Obviously I've noticed they are tying all of these Marvel movies together. There's always little cameos by the different characters in all of these films and the S.H.I.E.L.D guy seems to be in all of them. So are all these movies leading up to a big "Avengers" movie that's going to have Thor, Hulk, Ironman and Captain America? Cuz that sounds awesome. Is Batman an avenger too?

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never read comics when I was a kid (not saying anything against it, I had lots of friends who read comics I just spent all my money on video games, oh and pot, lots of pot :p ) so I'm a little confused on whos an Avenger and who's in the Justice league and who's an Xman, etc etc etc. This looks pretty cool but I have no idea what Captain America can do other than having the shield thats indestructible. I'll still go see it, it looks cool, although how many superheroes is this dude going to play? lol.

Obviously I've noticed they are tying all of these Marvel movies together. There's always little cameos by the different characters in all of these films and the S.H.I.E.L.D guy seems to be in all of them. So are all these movies leading up to a big "Avengers" movie that's going to have Thor, Hulk, Ironman and Captain America?

that's exactly what they're setting up for... next summer! has the potential to be awesome

Cuz that sounds awesome. Is Batman an avenger too?

nope. he's on his own.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trailer did nothing for me and this looks like a boring movie. Then again I did say the same thing about Thor and was totally wrong.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trailer did nothing for me and this looks like a boring movie. Then again I did say the same thing about Thor and was totally wrong.

yeah... these trailers seem to be getting WORSE as time goes on which is weird cause i liked the teaser.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Captain America: The First Avenger

Captain America: The First Avenger

Release Date: July 22, 2011 (3D/2D theaters)
Studio: Paramount Pictures, Marvel Studios
Director: Joe Johnston
Screenwriter: Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely
Genre: Action, Adventure
MPAA Rating: N/A

Starring: Chris Evans, Tommy Lee Jones, Hugo Weaving, Hayley Atwell, Sebastian Stan, Dominic Cooper, Toby Jones, Neal McDonough, Derek Luke, Stanley Tucci

Plot Summary: "Captain America: The First Avenger" will focus on the early days of the Marvel Universe when Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) volunteers to participate in an experimental program that turns him into the Super Soldier known as Captain America. As Captain America, Rogers joins forces with Bucky Barnes (Sebastian Stan) and Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell) to wage war on the evil HYDRA organization, led by the villainous Red Skull (Hugo Weaving.)

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of these posters have me wondering if Cap will be unmasked for most of the movie...

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Just got back, while I enjoyed it I didn't think it was as good as Iron Man but it was WAY better than either Hulk movie and probably on par with Thor(maybe slightly better).

Make sure you stick around until the very end of the credits as they have a full Avengers trailer.