Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Avi Arad on the Captain America Movie
Source: Associated Press, Super Mom
February 14, 2006

The Associated Press has published a new interview with Marvel Studios' Avi Arad in which he talks about the Captain America movie. The project is part of Marvel's deal with Paramount in which Marvel will make the film and Paramount will distribute.

"Without giving too much away, obviously there'll be a little bit of the origin and then we come into our real world," Arad says. "What makes Captain America such a compelling character is that it allows you to judge history so you see where he came from and you see what he stood for."

Although the script by an unnamed writer isn't finished and Arad doesn't anticipate Captain America arriving in theaters before 2009, he does have a director and leading man in mind. Of course, he's not declaring the independence of those details just yet.

"One of the things our movie is going to deal with is what happened in 60 years," says Arad. "Which world was better? Sixty years ago or now? Within, obviously, a kick-ass plot and all the stuff that you've come to expect from a superhero movie."

http://asap.ap.org/stories/364220.s

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unnamed writer

Unnamed no more. :D

Who is Writing Captain America?
Source: IGN Filmforce
February 17, 2006

IGN Filmforce reports that Road to Perdition and "Thirteen Days" screenwriter David Self is penning the Captain America script:

Marvel usually draws on the same stable of screenwriters for its projects, such as David Goyer, Zak Penn, Simon Kinberg and David Hayter. Another of these Marvel veterans is the scribe writing Captain America: David Self.

Self has worked with Marvel on the scripts for Sub-Mariner and Deathlok as well.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Joe Johnston (Jurassic Park III, Hidalgo) has signed a deal to direct First Avenger: Captain America, Marvel Studios' take on its classic comic book character, says The Hollywood Reporter. Marvel's Kevin Feige is producing.

"This is a guy who designed the vehicles for 'Star Wars,' who storyboarded the convoy action sequence for 'Raiders of the Lost Ark,' " Feige said. "From 'Rocketeer' to 'October Sky' to 'The Wolfman,' you can look at pieces of his movies and see how they lead to this one."

Created in 1941 by Jack Kirby and Joe Simon for Timely Comics, Captain America is the heroic alter ego of Steve Rogers, who is rejected by the Army for being too sickly and undergoes an experiment that takes him to the pinnacle of human form. Paired with an indestructible shield, he became a symbol of the war effort, in and out of comics.

The character disappeared in the 1950s but was revived during the early era of Marvel Comics. He was reintroduced as part of the Avengers, the absence explained by having him being in a state of suspended animation during a war mission until found by the superteam.

First Avenger: Captain America is scheduled for a release on May 6, 2011. It will be a World War II-set movie, and the character will appear in the modern day-set The Avengers.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Captain America movies, I think this.

It was impressively awful to a 10 year old.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the 70's cap when he rode the motorcycle. Yeah, those were really bad. (though I did like the 1970s Spider-Man).

But, I actually kind of liked the Cap with Salinger. I'm not afraid to admit it.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I think Captain America movies, I think this.

It was impressively awful to a 10 year old.

Are you talking about the 70's cap when he rode the motorcycle. Yeah, those were really bad. (though I did like the 1970s Spider-Man).

But, I actually kind of liked the Cap with Salinger. I'm not afraid to admit it.

Classic Reb Brown role:

You must be registered for see images

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

It was actually one made in the mid 90's.

Highlights include: Red Skull getting plastic surgery and rubber ear wings.

I was stunned it was at the "Video Warehouse" in lil' old Decorah, IA but in the gap between Batman (Keaton) and the other great superhero movies, this one was a legendary failure.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Latest news...

Those known to be on the list with [John] Krasinski include Michael Cassidy (who appeared in"Smallvile" and who tested for the Superman movie when McG was going to direct it), Patrick Flueger (one of the stars of "The 4400" who most recently appeared in the Tobey Maguire movie "Brothers"), Scott Porter (TV's "Friday Night Lights"), Wilson Bethel ("Generation Kill") and Mike Vogel ("Cloverfield").

Chace Crawford is also in talks to screen test, though no deal has been made.

Scott Porter is my choice...Krasinski seriously?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will hurt someone if it's Mike Vogel (not why y'all probably think either).

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
That would be ironic since he's not American, he's Scottish.

...and Christian Bale is Welsh, yet he played Bruce Wayne...not to mention that John Wayne played Genghis Khan.

It's Hollywood...I see no irony. :D

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the record, I'm not related to David Self, but I'm not opposed to cashing in on that relationship someday if it means getting my screenplay read.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i also love the irony of Captain America being shot in England.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather see you play Steve Rogers than any of the names in the list Zeno posted.

yeah, i coulda been a contender but I had to take myself out of the running after my two back surgeries.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'd rather see you play Steve Rogers than any of the names in the list Zeno posted.

Gerard Butler would be my first choice.

Captain America is supposed to be a late teenager early 20's this is supposed to be an origin story after all--How would Gerard Butler work out in that role--isn't he 40ish?

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Captain America is supposed to be a late teenager early 20's this is supposed to be an origin story after all--How would Gerard Butler work out in that role--isn't he 40ish?

I didn't catch that...yeah, Butler would be too old to pull that off.

I'd vote Channing Tatum then...

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I didn't catch that...yeah, Butler would be too old to pull that off.

I'd vote Channing Tatum then...

I'm interested in why you think Channing Tatum would work. He was horrid in G.I. Joe, so I can't see him pulling off anything, let alone Captain America.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although he'd be an older Cap, I like the idea of Mark Valley in the role.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although he'd be an older Cap, I like the idea of Mark Valley in the role.

I think of all the guys mentioned so far he looks the part the best, but if he's the guy I think you have to surround him dozens of Grade A character actors to carry the movie. A little too close to George-Clooney-as-Batman for me.