Falling Skies (TNT)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shows like this are tough because its about an invasion which requires lots of FX. So the show to balance this has long periods of no aliens probably to balance out budget. To me it sometimes impacts the pacing of the show.

I like it but I question if this show will make it past Season 2.

no need to question... season 3 was greenlit a long time ago and one of my friends is already back in the writer's room with the rest of the staff breaking story.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no need to question... season 3 was greenlit a long time ago and one of my friends is already back in the writer's room with the rest of the staff breaking story.

That is good news. Although I have seen shows greenlit this far in advance to get canceled anyway. If the ratings tank...this show won't make it out of season 2 no matter how much writing they do ahead of time for Season 3.

Glad this show is on TNT because that makes me think they will stick with it. I like the show.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is good news. Although I have seen shows greenlit this far in advance to get canceled anyway. If the ratings tank...this show won't make it out of season 2 no matter how much writing they do ahead of time for Season 3.

you don't know what you're talking about here. Pilots may be greenlit and not get to a series, but entire seasons series aren't greenlit with writers already being paid and then get the rug pulled out from under them. especially series which started as the number one show of the summer. at worst, if the ratings went down, they'd retool... but they haven't done that.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
you don't know what you're talking about here. Pilots may be greenlit and not get to a series, but entire seasons series aren't greenlit with writers already being paid and then get the rug pulled out from under them. especially series which started as the number one show of the summer. at worst, if the ratings went down, they'd retool... but they haven't done that.

cheesebeef....maybe your not understanding what I am saying is more like it. Shows have been canceled during the season many times. I am pretty sure I can come up with a list of shows renewed and canceled mid-season. I also remember in recent years instances were episodes were shot but never aired after cancellation or "hiatus". I am sure in those instances writers were paid, actors were paid even though the episodes never aired.

I am definitely not referring to pilots. I am very familiar with the concept of pilots and I used to work for a company that screened them to audiences for feedback to the networks. I also have family that has worked in both television and for movie studios. For example, unlike writers, my brother who helped choreograph fight scenes never got paid that far in advance. He was paid during and after production of the actual shooting of an episode on TV of film.

I was not referring to writers getting the rug pulled out from under them and I wasn't predicting an early cancellation either. Was really just a general comment about getting vested in a series only to find out the ratings slide and the show ends up getting canceled. Because the show has good ratings I am sure you are right we will see them all at least through season 3.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef....maybe your not understanding what I am saying is more like it. Shows have been canceled during the season many times. I am pretty sure I can come up with a list of shows renewed and canceled mid-season. I also remember in recent years instances were episodes were shot but never aired after cancellation or "hiatus". I am sure in those instances writers were paid, actors were paid even though the episodes never aired.

Cable shows never get cancelled mid-season. there's no point. they're shot so far ahead of time and there's nothing to fill their void. And a show that is an absolute SMASH in year will never get pulled after season 2, even if the ratings slide. They pretty much always be given another year to retool.

just saying... entire seasons don't get greenlit and have the rug yanked from under them before that season even starts. sure they can get canceled during the next season if the numbers suck, but that's only on Network TV.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have about 4 episodes waiting for me on my DVR. Maybe I'll watch them tonight.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I almost posted that Monday I totally agree. They've done a nice job of rescuing the show.

I attribute all of it to my good friend Heather V. Regnier joining the writing staff!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I attribute all of it to my good friend Heather V. Regnier joining the writing staff!

Well good for Heather, there's definitely an improvement. I was really thinking it was going to head into a death spiral but I actually like the direction they're going right now.

There's a bit of the Original V in it, but done much better.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the show but the only thing that REALLY REALLY bothers me is with all the technology that Aliens have and the overflying ships is laughable the 2nd Mass is out in the open so much and never found. Just look at the scenes with all the trucks, equipment and people hanging around outdoors. They couldn't paint a bigger target yet the Aliens can never find them. Pretty big plot hole. Also the mechs could use some more detailed CGI...sometimes they look pretty bad when they are moving.

Having said that, I like everything else about the show including the premise. I also like many of the actors on the show as well.

DiamondBacks5117

Registered
Reaction score
I really like the show but the only thing that REALLY REALLY bothers me is with all the technology that Aliens have and the overflying ships is laughable the 2nd Mass is out in the open so much and never found. Just look at the scenes with all the trucks, equipment and people hanging around outdoors. They couldn't paint a bigger target yet the Aliens can never find them. Pretty big plot hole. Also the mechs could use some more detailed CGI...sometimes they look pretty bad when they are moving.

Having said that, I like everything else about the show including the premise. I also like many of the actors on the show as well.

Maybe there distracted by other things besides the 2nd mass which poses no threat to them. I like the idea of the skitter rebellion Should be a good finale.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I felt like that finale was rushed. It was just okay, but I liked the cliffhanger. Seems Earth is the new interstellar truckstop on the way to where ever.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I felt like that finale was rushed. It was just okay, but I liked the cliffhanger. Seems Earth is the new interstellar truckstop on the way to where ever.

Lucy and I said the same thing, needed to be 2 hours.

For example the buildup to how hard it would be to get through the caves that conveniently led to the site of the weapon, yet the actual process was about a minute of screen time?

I was also surprised that a bunch of rebel skitters are able to sneak up on a other skitters since earlier in the same show they told us the reason they needed the 2nd mass to do the assault was "they can't detect you they'll detect us."

I do like the ending nice little twist friend or foe etc.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Way too rushed. That should have been a 3 hour story arc. There were some other things I found improbable as well, but WTH, it's TV.

The whole ally or enemy thing, maybe. We'll see where they take it.

DiamondBacks5117

Registered
Reaction score
So i am guessing theres More Overloards and more rebellions out there. With the Overloards being the ones that inspect the weapons and make everything go. I wish they got more into what the weapons were going to be for. That bug this in Hals ear at the end was interesting. Felt bad for the red eyed Skitter so cool!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
So i am guessing theres More Overloards and more rebellions out there. With the Overloards being the ones that inspect the weapons and make everything go. I wish they got more into what the weapons were going to be for. That bug this in Hals ear at the end was interesting. Felt bad for the red eyed Skitter so cool!

They toouched on that a bit with,"Why is it pointing at the sky".....the assumption then is that it was built to keep those other aliens from landing on earth.

I was wondering why Hal just watched that nanobug crawl accross hhis face....his dad was under control when they took the one from his eye.....

pretty certain the new aliens will be allies, at least temporarily...."the enemy of my enemy is my friend" kinda thing.......but then they will want to strip our weak asses of our resources once the real threat is knocked out...

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I officially quit this disaster. Keeps getting worse with each episode.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard