Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spielberg, Burnett & Fox Team for On the Lot
Source: Fox
April 7, 2006

Aspiring director/filmmakers from across the country will vie for the opportunity of a lifetime when Mark Burnett, Steven Spielberg, DreamWorks Television and Fox join forces on the exciting new unscripted series On the Lot, which will air next season on Fox. The competition will air over two nights weekly, with an hour "Film Premiere" episode, followed the next night by a half-hour "Box Office" results show. Ultimately, one filmmaker will rise above the rest and will be rewarded with a studio development deal, On the Lot at DreamWorks.

"For me, like any person who wants to be a filmmaker, the opportunity to work hand in hand with Steven Spielberg is a dream come true," said Burnett. "With the help of our partners at Fox, Peter Liguori and reality maestro Mike Darnell, we're going to make an incredible show about looking for the next great filmmaker by mining the growing segment of the public making their own content, and giving them the chance of a lifetime."

"All through my career I've done what I can to discover new talent and give them a start," said Spielberg. "This opportunity with Mark Burnett, DreamWorks and Fox allows all of us to reach out directly to open a much wider door."

"When you have the opportunity to work with people like Mark Burnett and Steven Spielberg, artists who've redefined this business, you jump at the chance," said Peter Liguori, President of Entertainment for Fox. He added, "In this age of digital cameras, cell phones with cameras and the Internet - with hundreds of thousands of people creating their own movies at home every day - the concept of this series is completely relevant, tapping into a cultural phenomenon as it happens."

"Movie-making is completely relatable to the American public," added Mike Darnell, EVP Alternative Programming and Specials for Fox. "Everyone enjoys going to the movies, reading about the movies and learning about the movies. Most Americans consider themselves amateur film critics and this will give viewers the opportunity to create the next big filmmaker."

After a nationwide search, applicants will be winnowed to a group of 16 undiscovered talents. The finalists will be brought to Hollywood, where they will be divided into several teams and will begin the hopeful journey toward their "big break." As the competition begins, each team will produce a short film from that week's genre, running the gamut from comedies to thrillers, personal dramas to romance, sci-fi to horror. With one member selected as the team's director and other members helping produce, they'll have access to the best resources the industry has to offer. A pool of professional writers, cast and crew will be made available, and if the contestants are resourceful enough, they may even be able to land Hollywood celebrities to star in their films. With the clock ticking, however, and other teams working with the same genre, premise or unique challenge, they'll all need to match their vision with decisiveness, execution and flexibility.

Each week, after the teams have battled time frames, budgets and all the usual chaos that goes along with filmmaking, their films will be shown and critiqued in front of a live audience during the "Film Premiere" episode. Judges will include a high-ranking motion picture executive, a prominent film critic and a succession of well-respected guest judges, such as directors who are experts in the week's featured genre. But they'll also be subjected to perhaps the harshest judge of all... the public.

It will be Fox viewers whose votes ultimately determine which film should be left on the cutting-room floor. But, just as in Hollywood, where the director's work and vision have an enormous impact on the success or failure of a film, not all team members will pay the price. On the next night's "Box Office" results show, only the director of the losing feature will be sent home, leaving that team with fewer contestants to help produce the next week's film.

As the competition continues and directors are eliminated, eventually the remaining filmmakers will have to work individually, creating a new short film every week until only the most talented individual is anointed the winner, whisked away to the DreamWorks studio, met by Steven Spielberg and shown a new office... On the Lot.

On the Lot is produced by Mark Burnett Productions, DreamWorks Television and Amblin Television. Mark Burnett and Steven Spielberg are creators and executive producers. Darryl Frank, Justin Falvey and Conrad Riggs are co-executive producers.

-------------------------------------------------------------

:thumbup:

Sounds good, especially with Burnett/Spielberg behind it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think that I would watch it, but sounds interesting...

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Online Submissions Start for The Lot
Source: Fox
May 18, 2006

Aspiring filmmakers can take the first step toward fulfilling their dreams of becoming a Hollywood director by applying to participate in Fox's new reality competition series On the Lot. Video submissions and application forms are now being accepted at TheLot.com. To enter, applicants over 13 years of age must submit a self-directed short film, up to five minutes in length, which may be shown on the website on a future date.

On the Lot, executive-produced by Mark Burnett and Steven Spielberg, will give aspiring filmmakers from around the world the chance to earn a $1-million development deal at DreamWorks.

Premiering next spring on Fox, this unscripted series will feature a cast of 16 undiscovered filmmakers competing to win the support of the show's viewers, who will decide their fate in a weekly audience vote.

The competition will air over two nights weekly, with a one-hour "Film Premiere" episode followed the next night by a half-hour "Box Office" results show.

After a global search already under way, applicants will be winnowed to a group of 16 talented filmmakers. These finalists will be brought to Hollywood, where they will be divided into teams and will begin the journey toward their "big break."

Every week, the hopeful filmmakers will produce short films from a chosen genre, running the gamut from comedies to thrillers, personal dramas to romance, sci-fi to horror. They'll have access to the best resources the industry has to offer -- professional writers, cast and crew, and possibly even Hollywood celebrities.

After the teams have battled time frames, budgets and all the usual chaos that goes along with filmmaking, their films will debut and be critiqued in front of a live audience during the "Film Premiere" episode. Judges will include a high-ranking motion picture executive, a prominent film critic and a succession of well-respected guests, such as directors who are experts in the week's featured genre.

But the filmmakers ultimately will be judged by the harshest critics of all the public.

It will be Fox viewers whose votes determine which films should be left on the cutting-room floor. On each "Box Office" results show, the director whose feature garners the fewest votes will be sent home.

The competition continues and directors are eliminated until only the most talented filmmaker is anointed the winner and heads to DreamWorks, to be met by Steven Spielberg and shown to his or her new office On the Lot.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Sounds like a take on Operation Greenlight.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we need some ASFN based shows;

"Life of Ryan" - In laws, neighbors, coworkers' plants are just some of the elements comprising the Life of Ryan.

"Djaughe Sucks" - 22 minutes of Djaughe every Tuesday, with call in voting and results show on Wednesday to determine if what Djaughe is doing that week sucks.

"Nazaquad's Super Terrific Statistical Analysis Hour" - As your host, Nazaquad debunks many of life's great theories and mysteries with half-baked (and moderately understandable) statistical analysis. Guests include New England Mike. The audience is shocked in the season finale as Nazaquad is revealed to really be vikesfan.

"At the Movies with Bad0Bing" - Bad0Bing reviews no fewer than 37 new and recent movies every week.

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle
abomb said:

"Life of Ryan" - In laws, neighbors, coworkers' plants are just some of the elements comprising the Life of Ryan.

"Djaughe Sucks" - 22 minutes of Djaughe every Tuesday, with call in voting and results show on Wednesday to determine if what Djaughe is doing that week sucks.

"Nazaquad's Super Terrific Statistical Analysis Hour" - As your host, Nazaquad debunks many of life's great theories and mysteries with half-baked (and moderately understandable) statistical analysis. Guests include New England Mike. The audience is shocked in the season finale as Nazaquad is revealed to really be vikesfan.

"At the Movies with Bad0Bing" - Bad0Bing reviews no fewer than 37 new and recent movies every week.

:lmao:

a-bomb

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw the first previews of this recently. Looks good. :thumbup:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score

:self:

Damn that's funny.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

"abomb's dating game"- abomb meets various women through friends, bars and the internet but inevitably dumps them when they want to go camping, hiking or anything remotely "outdoorsy."

"How to Win Friends and Influence People...the K9 Way!" - Kerouac9 shows viewers how they too can charm their way to a lonely existence through belittling and ill-timed condescending comments.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Can I crash this and yell about how his opinion sucks?

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Anybody watching this?

Pretty decent so far. Though I don't think the judges have been as tough on the contestants as I thought they would.

That special FX guy who the first movie with the other 2 directors put out an amazing piece.

Not sure who to root for yet, but the premise is definitely cool and I hope this show has staying power to the finish.

Can't delete this thread.

Last edited:

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
I've been watching it. It is OK so far. Seems they really rushed the first few episodes though. I did really like the FX guys work. There are several people on there with loads of talent.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson