Falling Skies (TNT)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually liked last nights although the reveal towards the end was predictable fairly early in the episode.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually liked last nights although the reveal towards the end was predictable fairly early in the episode.

Agreed. I figured out something was up almost right away. I was suspicious that the was the only one that made it. Then when he said he "ran" I knew it. When they made a different turn then expected that just confirmed it.

I am still not sure what I think about the show. It has some good acting, some OK FX. I am just not "hooked" for some reason. I can't put my finger on it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I figured out something was up almost right away. I was suspicious that the was the only one that made it. Then when he said he "ran" I knew it. When they made a different turn then expected that just confirmed it.

I am still not sure what I think about the show. It has some good acting, some OK FX. I am just not "hooked" for some reason. I can't put my finger on it.

the show has no edge. that's my problem with it.

i think about the best Alien show ever and I always come back to the original V, which a) had GREAT reveals b) made an interesting parallel between the Vs and Nazi germany and c) had some pretty damn scary moments. this show has none of that.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody else still watching? Last night was somewhat interesting but I just hate it when I can guess the reveal that early in the episode.

As soon as they saw the different aliens while scouting I knew what the reveal would be and I was dead right.

the other thing with the woman from Fringe was just incredibly obvious, I can't believe they didn't catch on initially.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody else still watching?
I am, though I haven't yet watched this week's ep. I'm enjoying it.

But, yeah, I called last week's reveal as soon as that guy showed up and said "I'll take the kids. You guys stay here."

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am, though I haven't yet watched this week's ep. I'm enjoying it.

But, yeah, I called last week's reveal as soon as that guy showed up and said "I'll take the kids. You guys stay here."

Just out of curiosity after you watch last nights post again when you figured out what the reveal at the end would be.

It's an interesting twist but just wasn't as surprising as they seemed to think it would be.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With shows like this it makes it hard to understand how shows like SGU get knocked off the air...

That was on for years though wasn't it? I think by that point shows have a devoted audience. With this show I think TNT is hoping more people will pick it up.

The last couple of shows have been better to me I just think if you're going to have the end every show with a surprise sort of format, the surprises need to be well surprising.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Show is getting a tad better. Actually last nights episode was one of the better this season. Hope the season finale is good.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was on for years though wasn't it? I think by that point shows have a devoted audience. With this show I think TNT is hoping more people will pick it up.

The last couple of shows have been better to me I just think if you're going to have the end every show with a surprise sort of format, the surprises need to be well surprising.

No, it was cancelled midway through the second season. Stargate SG-1 ran for 10 years and Stargate Atlantis went for 5 seasons but SGU never really found an audience. I think it was a great show but it started out slow and by the time it finally got good the writing was already on the wall. IMO, it was a far superior series to Falling Skies but I love sci-fi so I'll keep watching Skies anyway.

Steve

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
No, it was cancelled midway through the second season. Stargate SG-1 ran for 10 years and Stargate Atlantis went for 5 seasons but SGU never really found an audience. I think it was a great show but it started out slow and by the time it finally got good the writing was already on the wall. IMO, it was a far superior series to Falling Skies but I love sci-fi so I'll keep watching Skies anyway.

Steve
:thumbup:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

Sorry I never watched any of the iterations of it so I didn't know which one SGU was. I saw the movie and liked it, not sure why I never got into the series, I liked Sliders which was sort of a similar concept.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I never watched any of the iterations of it so I didn't know which one SGU was. I saw the movie and liked it, not sure why I never got into the series, I liked Sliders which was sort of a similar concept.

Sliders was more like a Time Tunnel kind of thing. I'm not sure what I'd compare the various Stargates to other than the obvious, Star Trek (Trek was more preachy, Stargate had a lot more action). I liked the Stargate movie but I loved the TV series.

Steve

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity after you watch last nights post again when you figured out what the reveal at the end would be.

It's an interesting twist but just wasn't as surprising as they seemed to think it would be.
I didn't figure it out, but I also wasn't exactly surprised.

What I thought was out of character was Weaver leaving to go look for his wife. He let Wylie go find his kid, I don't think it would have been too much of a stretch for him to say, "hey, whaddya say we go a few blocks out of our way and see if my lady is still around?"

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What I thought was out of character was Weaver leaving to go look for his wife. He let Wylie go find his kid, I don't think it would have been too much of a stretch for him to say, "hey, whaddya say we go a few blocks out of our way and see if my lady is still around?"

Yeah they seem to be trying to really open up the Weaver character so he's not as predictable and i assume that's what that was about.

The whole thing with the woman from Fringe made no sense to me not only was it obvious to me not to trust her, Weaver they didn't appear to trust her either yet they still said in front of her where Weaver's family lived and she of course told the skitters and nearly got them killed. I had a hard time buying that whole thing it just made no sense that they trusted her she was so obvious.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Well, he was playing the tortured soul for weeks now, so it did follow his character.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
With shows like this it makes it hard to understand how shows like SGU get knocked off the air...

Yeah, the SG series died the day Jack stopped being a regular on the show.

Falling Skies has some great potential, but they're wasting it. They need to do something for the second season.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the SG series died the day Jack stopped being a regular on the show.

Falling Skies has some great potential, but they're wasting it. They need to do something for the second season.

I disagree a bit. SG has some really strong episodes despite RDA not longer being a regular on the show. I thought they pulled off his promotion and occasional appearance pretty well considering. Don't get me wrong I thought it sucked when he left but thought they did a decent job without him.

IMO the show was getting long in the tooth with or without RDA. Even if he was still on the show it wouldn't have lasted any longer then it did IMO.

Also, even though I think FS has improved a bit I agree something has to change. I am still feeling like I can take it or leave it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree a bit. SG has some really strong episodes despite RDA not longer being a regular on the show. I thought they pulled off his promotion and occasional appearance pretty well considering. Don't get me wrong I thought it sucked when he left but thought they did a decent job without him.

IMO the show was getting long in the tooth with or without RDA. Even if he was still on the show it wouldn't have lasted any longer then it did IMO.

Also, even though I think FS has improved a bit I agree something has to change. I am still feeling like I can take it or leave it.

The show went downhill after Richard Dean Anderson left the regular cast but I think the Ori had a lot to do with it. I get very tired of the religious extremist junk and the last place I want to deal with it is in my favorite sci-fi series - especially as a recurring enemy/issue.

Steve

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The show went downhill after Richard Dean Anderson left the regular cast but I think the Ori had a lot to do with it. I get very tired of the religious extremist junk and the last place I want to deal with it is in my favorite sci-fi series - especially as a recurring enemy/issue.

Steve

Yeah. That was like when Family Ties started to get all preachy.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
with the season premier less than a week away i thought i'd resurrect this.

it'll be interesting to see what comes up during its first few weeks.

heres the trailer for the premier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg8sujxWids

Looking forward to this, but I hope they change one thing: cut down on the INSANE amount of commercials. Hated that last season.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shows like this are tough because its about an invasion which requires lots of FX. So the show to balance this has long periods of no aliens probably to balance out budget. To me it sometimes impacts the pacing of the show.

I like it but I question if this show will make it past Season 2.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Steve

I was a religious SG-1 fan....only show in years I would be sure to head home to watch. But in truth it had played itself out...which is why I liked seeing the birth of SG Atlantis...very good show, with Jason Mamoa being the weakest link...(still cant figure out why he is the one who keeps getting work.....).Atlantis had unlimited possibilities...
SG-1 tried to survive by adding Ben Browder and Claudia Black, they worked together on an excellent long running sci fi series...cannot recall the name right now but I loved their show...But IMO adding both to SG-1 was a mistake...should have just added Browder as they both seemed to slip back into the characters they played before...comfort zone I guess.....

Farscape, that was it.....awesome show.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard