Extension for Alex Len?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because what would we do without his 9pts/7 rbs??

Even Dwight Howard at his most dysfunctional can get you 18 and 14.

Bad comparison.
Because what would we do without his 9pts/7 rbs??

Even Dwight Howard at his most dysfunctional can get you 18 and 14.

Um. Dwight Howard, this year, got 14 and 8 in 32 minutes per game.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
13/11 per espn stats. And its still better than Len.
Yes, 13 and 11. And he was the first pick in the draft. He is a perennial all-star. He is a 12 year vet. AND he just signed for 3 years 70 mill. Not sure what your point is.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes, 13 and 11. And he was the first pick in the draft. He is a perennial all-star. He is a 12 year vet. AND he just signed for 3 years 70 mill. Not sure what your point is.

Point is Len was only the 5th pick and is trash in comparison. 4 years is more than enough. Hes still performing like a rookie. His extension is not going to be cheap and hes not worth it.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Talk of Len looking smooth is akin to the constant praise for Wes Johnson's shooting form, the way you'd hear people talk about his form he was an elite shooter... only he sucked at shooting. Forget Dwight, forget Lopez, Len doesn't remind me of either of those players. Len has bad hands and no shooting touch, I don't think he will ever be an offensive threat.

Those that want to extend him now and are kicking around numbers like 15 million per year, seriously, why? What is gained in this? What number are you worried he'd get in a year that makes tossing him that kind of money right now seem like a logical choice? Even if he got offered 20 million as an RFA, it would be 20 million for a guy we have a much better understanding if he is actually worth anywhere near that money. You guys honestly think the gamble of throwing him 60 million now, while he has struggled with injuries and never shown himself to be a capable full time player, is worth avoiding another few mil per season in a year? That just seems insane to me.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, you are advocating wait and just match.

I have no problem with that. He is going to get big bucks anyway. I doubt signing him to an extension now is going to save us anything long term. But if he absolutely blows or his ankles blow up, we have an out.

We just don't need to give up on him yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Len has something many players don't. He is a team player hard worker and a over all good person. That has to be worth a few Million. I would wait and give him the money next year.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It seems to me that money is not the key. A greater consideration should be that, if he is signed and his game doesn't improve, he will be standing in the way of a roster spot for someone with greater potential. Has anyone heard whether he will be the starting Center next year?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It seems to me that money is not the key. A greater consideration should be that, if he is signed and his game doesn't improve, he will be standing in the way of a roster spot for someone with greater potential. Has anyone heard whether he will be the starting Center next year?

No, he would not be taking a roster spot for someone of greater potential. Len is, at the very least, a quality career back up big man. There is always a roster spot for that type of player. When Len plays his natural position, he can be very effective. His only problem right now is being more consistent in that. I agree with Slin, his potential is still through the roof, and the Suns are not going to find anyone better anytime soon.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If they sign him to an extension before the next off season then I hope its for nothing more than like $12M/yr at the very most. Even that may be pushing it for a player like Len who's constantly injured or in foul trouble but I guess that's the rate under this new salary cap.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess that is the real issue. How much would that extension be? If its 10 mil or under, its a slam dunk. Sign him. If it is over 12, it might be best to wait.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess that is the real issue. How much would that extension be? If its 10 mil or under, its a slam dunk. Sign him. If it is over 12, it might be best to wait.

I can't see it being less than 12 and I don't see us waiting unless his agent is asking for the world. I think we sign him for around 15.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't see it being less than 12 and I don't see us waiting unless his agent is asking for the world. I think we sign him for around 15.

I cannot see him getting over 15 in any reasonable circumstance, so it might be best to wait and see if his feet hold up.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The two sides of the Alex Len dilemma are effectively discussed here.

Len was one of only nine players to average at least 13 points, 10 rebounds after the All-Star break last season, joining luminaries Andre Drummond, Anthony Davis,DeAndre Jordan, Demarcus Cousins, Hassan Whiteside, Karl-Anthony Towns, Paul Millsap and Pau Gasol among the most productive big men in the league.

But pulling back a layer or two tells a different story.

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2...ex-len-faces-extension-talk-with-phoenix-suns

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The two sides of the Alex Len dilemma are effectively discussed here.

Len was one of only nine players to average at least 13 points, 10 rebounds after the All-Star break last season, joining luminaries Andre Drummond, Anthony Davis,DeAndre Jordan, Demarcus Cousins, Hassan Whiteside, Karl-Anthony Towns, Paul Millsap and Pau Gasol among the most productive big men in the league.

But pulling back a layer or two tells a different story.

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2...ex-len-faces-extension-talk-with-phoenix-suns
Good article showing the good and the bad. There is another factor to consider in evaluating Len's performance as a Center last season. He spent much of it as a Power Forward. If he is not going to do that going forward, evaluating last season's performance will be apples and oranges.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good article showing the good and the bad. There is another factor to consider in evaluating Len's performance as a Center last season. He spent much of it as a Power Forward. If he is not going to do that going forward, evaluating last season's performance will be apples and oranges.

This page actually gives a sense of how much more productive Len was as a C than as a PF. He was more productive both offensively and defensively. His production was horrible when on the floor with Chandler. It wasn't so hot when on the floor with Tele either.

http://www.82games.com/1516/15PHO22.HTM#bypos

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, he would not be taking a roster spot for someone of greater potential. Len is, at the very least, a quality career back up big man. There is always a roster spot for that type of player. When Len plays his natural position, he can be very effective. His only problem right now is being more consistent in that. I agree with Slin, his potential is still through the roof, and the Suns are not going to find anyone better anytime soon.

"Potential through the roof"? That seems like a pretty generous statement. Do you think he's going to be a multiple time All-Star? Just curious what "through the roof potential" gets this kid in your opinion.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Potential through the roof"? That seems like a pretty generous statement. Do you think he's going to be a multiple time All-Star? Just curious what "through the roof potential" gets this kid in your opinion.

I don't know where to put the cap on his ceiling? He moves very well for his size and can defend against both power and speed. He has good shooting form and a very soft touch. On the surface, he just looks like he should be the complete package. But so far he hasn't been anywhere near that "full package".

I remember Tyson making a comment about Len last preseason, something along the lines of "he's going to be something special when he finally realizes how good he can be". We had high hopes that he'd be showing us how good he could be by the end of last season. But that stupid power forward experiment set him back and left us with doubts about who he'll be when his game finally grows up. And now we have to start worrying about paying the man when we still don't know whether he'll be a star or a backup.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Well put.

Let's start Duds (PF) and Len (C) so he gets consistent starter minutes versus the best opposition. He should get at least 20 mpg so he can get the break-through season we're hoping for.

A priority this season should be development. Not just playing a short rotation of veterans to get a few more victories. The FO must think long term.

My ideal starting five:
Len
Duds
Warren
Booker
Bledsoe

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well put.

Let's start Duds (PF) and Len (C) so he gets consistent starter minutes versus the best opposition. He should get at least 20 mpg so he can get the break-through season we're hoping for.

A priority this season should be development. Not just playing a short rotation of veterans to get a few more minutes. The FO must think long term.

My ideal starting five:
Len
Duds
Warren
Booker
Bledsoe

Basically they have been doing this since Watson took over. In order to do this, the coach must have absolute job security.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If we sign him for $15M I think he would be one of the worst contracts in the league currently. Almost worse than Mozgov signing.

I would take Tristian Thompson at the max over Len at $15M. And that's despite knowing that Thompson is garbage at everything except rebounding but at least he's durable and there's at least one valued NBA attribute that he brings every game consistently.

This kid has done absolutely nothing so far in his career. I'm fine with paying based on potential but $15M based on potential? Heck no. $12M at the very max, if not let him be somebody else's problem. We have Chandler for the next several years anyway at C.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And the whole "he's going to be something special when he finally realizes how good he can be" is a quote that's been applied to numerous players in NBA history.

Thomas Robinson, Michael Beasley, Derrick Williams, Kwame Brown, Dion Waiters, Anthony Randolph, Andreis Biedrins etc are all players that quote could be applied to just to name a few.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the whole "he's going to be something special when he finally realizes how good he can be" is a quote that's been applied to numerous players in NBA history.

Thomas Robinson, Michael Beasley, Derrick Williams, Kwame Brown, Dion Waiters, Anthony Randolph, Andreis Biedrins etc are all players that quote could be applied to just to name a few.

Tyson Chandler said that in an interview about Alex Len. Did you watch a Tyson Chandler interview where he said that about Robinson or Beasley or Randolph or any of those other names? Because if you did, I must have missed it. And if you didn't, this is just nonsense because my point was solely that a professional athlete, noted for his defense, raved about Len's potential as a player. It had nothing to do with a GM pushing an agenda or the flights of fancy that we fans tend towards.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort