Extension for Alex Len?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No he can't. Lakers signed Mozgov as a starter. The approx average salary for a starting player in the NBA is $15M under the new salary cap.

So again like I said before, if some team thinks Len can start for them then sure. But nobody is signing Len to a $15M to be a backup. He's gonna likely get something similar to what Ezeli got. At most, I'm predicting what Henson got.

Then you'd have ask yourself if the Suns would be willing to match an Ezeli type contract for Len.
Don't be foolish. They didn't sign Mozgov because he would be a starter. They signed him to that contract because they are stupid. Plain and simple. If Mozgov can get that from a stupid team, then Len can too. And he undoubtedly has more upside that Mozgov. Whether he will realize it is what the team that signs him (whether it's us or not) risks.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I honestly think many posters are still flummoxed by the new contracts. This is the new "real." Have to leave old concepts regarding value behind. The NBA has officially entered ludicrous speed. Get onboard or your take regarding financial viability of deals becomes antiquated. Len can get a $15M/year deal as ludicrous as it seems.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am starting to think it might be wise to extend Len, for a reasonable short term deal. I am thinking a two year deal for $9-10 million per year. It would probably be in the best interest of Len AND the Suns. It gives the Suns a little longer look and gives Len a little longer to improve for a bigger deal in two years.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am starting to think it might be wise to extend Len, for a reasonable short term deal. I am thinking a two year deal for $9-10 million per year. It would probably be in the best interest of Len AND the Suns. It gives the Suns a little longer look and gives Len a little longer to improve for a bigger deal in two years.

I'd be willing to wager (imaginary money, of course) that they've already tried to bring him in around 8 to 12 million per and his agent has laughed at the numbers.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd be willing to wager (imaginary money, of course) that they've already tried to bring him in around 8 to 12 million per and his agent has laughed at the numbers.

I could see that if they tried 8 or 9 million but 12 million I could see the agent working something. I think Len will get anywhere between 12 & 16 million annually in free agency next summer. So if they'd be willing to offer up 12 now, I think there would be real discussions.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Once Len gets injured again, I'm sure the agent will think hard about taking that offer for $12 million/yr if its still on the table.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Maybe I am too optimistic here.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am too optimistic here.

Or maybe too realistic as you're talking about what his play has actually earned him. But the agent and I'm sure the player remember all the comments about how Len is being groomed and how he's our center of the future and about how special he's going to be when it all comes together for him. And to that you add that he's a top 5 pick and something less than Miles Plumlee money starts to sound like a slap in the face.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Or maybe too realistic as you're talking about what his play has actually earned him. But the agent and I'm sure the player remember all the comments about how Len is being groomed and how he's our center of the future and about how special he's going to be when it all comes together for him. And to that you add that he's a top 5 pick and something less than Miles Plumlee money starts to sound like a slap in the face.
Just because a couple of bad GMs gave out bad contracts to the likes of Plumlee/Mahimi/Mozgov/Noah doesn't mean all centers should/will get overpaid like that. The smarter GMs in the league like Myers, Olshey, Van Gundy were able to bring in centers just as good if not better for reasonable deals in Pachulia/Ezeli/Marjanovic.

I think all the stupid GMs already got their overpaid centers. I don't think there's any more of those GMs left to overpay Len.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you are right on target. IMO, the Suns would have jumped at the chance to extend Len for 12 million per season. It's easy to forget Len is only 23 and his stats have improved each season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/lenal01.html

I will continue to stay firmly in the minority on this one, but I suspect the Suns have not even broached extension talks with Len. Any offer they'd realistically give him would likely poison the well, I'd be surprised if they have even floated the idea of offering him 12 mil per year. Right now he has shown himself to be a borderline rotation player, not a starter and not even a quality backup in the modern 'spread the court' NBA. Yes, there is hope that he can become something more than that but as of now its merely hope. IMO the push to sign Chandler was pretty strong evidence in the lack of faith the organization has in Len developing into a serviceable starter.

Furthermore, I liked Len's 2nd year better than his 3rd. I think he's regressed. 42% shooting is apocalyptic for an interior big, the only number he improved between the two years was rebounding and that increase was marginal. Outside of picking it up a bit on the glass he blocked less, turned the ball over more and shot horrendously.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Len looked a little better in the second Jazz game but still pretty bad. He shot 3/10, missing 2 easy shots, and taking 3 that he shouldn't have. He hit a nice 17 foot face up jumper then promptly took three moving shots from that range, missing all 3 short, IIRC. Maybe he makes those in practice and he was in too much of hurry to show them off in a game. Gobert outplayed him but not by such a margin as the prior game - I think it might help him to play more matchups against Rudy. He could have had a bit more practice against him but he fouled out in 19 minutes.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Len's game has been impacted negatively with Chandler's addition in that they practice together all of the time and it's forced Len to be more of a perimeter player compared to the years or style he showed before Tyson joined the team. Chandler is still a very good interior defender and I'm sure in practice when they match up he can shut Len down inside. Partly because Len has developed a strong inside game and also because Chandler's stifling D in practice and scrimmages have hurt his confidence. There wasn't another big for Len to match up with in practice last season and his first 2 seasons he faced on with Plumlee who was disinterested once he was benched and also considerably smaller than Len, so Alex could shoot over him inside.

I doubt the coaching staff has told Chandler to lighten up on Len in practice because they want him to develop and grow and the only way he will is to go through Tyson but instead of continuously trying he's decided to stretch his game some by stepping out further and further to look for his shots, which he's far from doing well enough to be taking in actual games.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will continue to stay firmly in the minority on this one, but I suspect the Suns have not even broached extension talks with Len. Any offer they'd realistically give him would likely poison the well, I'd be surprised if they have even floated the idea of offering him 12 mil per year. Right now he has shown himself to be a borderline rotation player, not a starter and not even a quality backup in the modern 'spread the court' NBA. Yes, there is hope that he can become something more than that but as of now its merely hope. IMO the push to sign Chandler was pretty strong evidence in the lack of faith the organization has in Len developing into a serviceable starter.

Furthermore, I liked Len's 2nd year better than his 3rd. I think he's regressed. 42% shooting is apocalyptic for an interior big, the only number he improved between the two years was rebounding and that increase was marginal. Outside of picking it up a bit on the glass he blocked less, turned the ball over more and shot horrendously.

You may be right that the Suns have not made a entered extension talks with Len. I think he will command a contract in the range of 15 million a season if the Suns want to keep him and IMO he will get it from someone based on upside.

I think Tyson Chandler was signed because he was more ready to contribute now, his leadership and especially the Suns desire to sign LaMarcus Aldridge.

I too am disappointed with Len's progress, especially scoring underneath the basket. He is not as agile handling the ball around the basket as I would like. Sometimes I wish he would concentrate more on shooting the mid-range shot as I think he might feel more comfortable there.

One ray of light when he was playing against Gobert in the last Utah game. He game out early in the second half and pushed his shoulder against Gobert creating room under the basket for him to score. This is what he is capable of doing. Also a good mid-range shot would help playing against a defender of his caliber.