ESPN: Plummer among worst QB seasons ever

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
7. Jake Plummer, 1999 Arizona Cardinals (6-10)
Actual stats: 12 G, 201-for-381, 52.8%, 2,111 yards, 9 TD, 24 INT
2004 projection: 12 G, 199-for-360, 55.1%, 2,074 yards, 10 TD, 20 INT

The 1998 Arizona Cardinals were one of the great flukes of NFL history, going 9-7 despite being outscored by opponents 378-325. In the 1999 Stats Inc. "Pro Football Scoreboard," writer Tony Nistler declared that Plummer would lead the Cardinals to the Super Bowl someday and called him a player who "has eaten pressure for lunch." Clearly, pressure gave Plummer indigestion, because his game completely collapsed in 1999 despite the addition of eighth overall draft pick David Boston to his receiving corps. Unlike the other quarterbacks on this list, Plummer was able to recover from his historically awful season, even returning to the playoffs after signing with Denver in 2003.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=schatz/050812&num=0

A-Bomb

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I said it b4 Ill say it again 1998 az cardinals had the easiest schedule, statistically, ever made in the NFL. Saw that on espn.

BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

Registered
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
I said it b4 Ill say it again 1998 az cardinals had the easiest schedule, statistically, ever made in the NFL. Saw that on espn.

True. We did however dominate Dallas in a Playoff Game, I'll never forget that!!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem that season was his thumb, he shouldn't have been playing. I said it all year long, Jake was trying to play through the injury and quite frankly the thing he should have done was admit he was hurt and rest the injury a few weeks letting Dave Brown play. As bad as Brown was, he wasn't as bad as Jake played that year because of the injury.

I think in almost any other NFL team, Jake would have been sat, but given his popularity at the time and the new contract, Tobin simply didn't feel he COULD bench jake, and Jake wasn't going to admit the injury was a problem.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, 20% of the list are ASU alums. :thumbup: Too bad Pagel wasn't worse for the Browns, or we (ASU alumni) would have owned that list.

The Shark

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
The problem that season was his thumb, he shouldn't have been playing.

While I agree, the problem was also No Centers, Brown, or Miller. We had an accident in the pre-season that injured 3 players, nearly killing Ernest Dye, and IIRC wasn't this the year Rob Moore went down along with half the team in that pre-season game in Minnesota, or was that 2000?

Either way, 1999 was doomed from the beginning.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vince56 said:
While I agree, the problem was also No Centers, Brown, or Miller. We had an accident in the pre-season that injured 3 players, nearly killing Ernest Dye, and IIRC wasn't this the year Rob Moore went down along with half the team in that pre-season game in Minnesota, or was that 2000?

Either way, 1999 was doomed from the beginning.

Oh no doubt that year was a total freak thing, but my point is even I, avowed Jake skeptic, doesn't think that season in any way reflects Jake's ability as a QB. When you can't hold the ball because of a thumb injury, you're not going to play well.

he simply should not have been playing. moore played 14 games that year I think 2000 was the year everyone got hurt in Minnesota.

God that 99 season was depressing though, coming off the playoffs the year before to just watch the team unravel like that was horrible.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Kind of hard for me to imagine the easiest schedule in the history of the NFL without the Cardinals on it.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
How about Kurt Warner going from tossing 36 TD passes and playing in the Super Bowl during the 2001 season to throwing 11 Interceptions and only 3 TD's in 7 games in 2002?

Didn't he have a thumb injury that season?

Regardless of how this season turns out the Cards have come a long way from the 1991 season when Chris Chandler, Tom Tupa and Stan Gelbaugh combined for 10 TD's and 25 INT's.

Last edited:

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I always try to forget that awful year, especially with Jamir Miller leaving; Lomas Brown was pretty much done though and I doubt we would have given him more than the 3/10 mil the Browns did. I've never had higher expectations for the Cards than I did that year.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
Kind of hard for me to imagine the easiest schedule in the history of the NFL without the Cardinals on it.

That is just a solid take. :D

Devision

Rookie
Reaction score
who was playing WR for the Cards then.. Thought so... Just like in 02' no one.. Jake will win in the playoffs if Denvers D can step up..

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devision said:
who was playing WR for the Cards then.. Thought so... Just like in 02' no one.. Jake will win in the playoffs if Denvers D can step up..

Well we had Frank Sanders, Rob Moore and David Boston all on the same team that year, they combined to play in 46 games that season so I would dispute the notion we had nobody. Now their stats weren't that good but when your QB's combine to throw 11 TD's and 30 picks and complete only 51%, it's probably going to impact the stats of your WR's.

You really want to compare Moore, Sanders and Boston in 99 to the sign them off the street WR's of 2002?

sundevilscott

Kaycee's Daddy
Reaction score
jefftheshark said:
Wow, 20% of the list are ASU alums. :thumbup: Too bad Pagel wasn't worse for the Browns, or we (ASU alumni) would have owned that list.

The Shark

Thats too bad....How are all the UofA QBs doing in the NFL? oh wait... ;)

Reaction score
Devision said:
:lame: He has been gone for three years...

Take it to the Bronco's board!!!

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Why the need to bash the last Cardinal QB to lead the team to a playoff win? He has been gone along time. If you cant say anything positve about him why not just let it go?

Devision

Rookie
Reaction score
CardLogic said:
:lame: He has been gone for three years...

Take it to the Bronco's board!!!

Ignorance at its finest.

Meanwhile Jake has enjoyed two playoff seasons while the passing game for the Cards continued to struggle at best. Don't spout off about defending Jake with "take it to the Bronco's board" when the "die hards" who continue to bash Jake probably couldn't throw a football let alone question his worthiness of starting in the NFL, which will be 9 straight years. Bad qb's don't start for 9 straight years. Anyone who thinks that the Cards wouldn't have been a better team the last 2 years with Jake at QB is a fool. People that defend Jake on this board are not the ones that start the threads just to stir this crap up.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
You're right, we have been badly missing Jakes 65.6 QB rating, his interceptions and awful completion percentage.

As much crap as Jeff Blake and Josh McCown get on this board, they still put up better numbers. My goodness, how freaking sad is that?

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
The Big Red has had nothing to bragg about for many years at QB. Josh Mccown certainly isnt worth bragging about. Pot calling the kettle black leaps to mind regarding the bashing of Plummer by fans of the Cardinals. If Mccown had had Plummer's numbers last year the team would have made the playoffs. If Warner has Plummer's numbers from last year I will be happy. So how many think Warner will exceed Plummer's numbers from last year?

arizona_cards_11

Registered
Reaction score
You punks are nothin' but a bunch of Haters. You fans/citizens of Arizona are just like the St. Louis fans, bandwagoners.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devision said:
Ignorance at its finest.

Meanwhile Jake has enjoyed two playoff seasons while the passing game for the Cards continued to struggle at best. Don't spout off about defending Jake with "take it to the Bronco's board" when the "die hards" who continue to bash Jake probably couldn't throw a football let alone question his worthiness of starting in the NFL, which will be 9 straight years. Bad qb's don't start for 9 straight years. Anyone who thinks that the Cards wouldn't have been a better team the last 2 years with Jake at QB is a fool. People that defend Jake on this board are not the ones that start the threads just to stir this crap up.

i see your point but you still haven't commented on my pointing out that your depiction of the 99 WR group on the team was completely wrong.

Personally I'm DEFENDING Jake's play that year, because he was so clearly hurt that even I don't think the 99 season has anything to do with reality.

But comparing Rob Moore, Frank Sanders and David Boston in 99 to the likes of McAddley, a washed up Sanders, Boston on one leg, Kasper, etc in 2002 is to quote you "ignorance at its finest."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn