AZ 20 SF 10 Thoughts

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
The pre-game hype (or lack thereof) for this game was a little tough to bear---on one segment ESPN's Teddy Bruschi and Herm Edwards were unanimous in picking the 49ers to win their first game. Then on Twitter, PFF reported a couple of hours before kickoff that the AZ-SF game was the lowest ranked game since 2006.

In the FOX pre-game, Laura Okmin reported that Patrick Peterson told her that the Cardinals problems were not physical, they were all mental. Well, anyone who watched the Cardinals' super soft performances in Philly and London would have to wonder how Peterson could dismiss the notion that the Cardinals' problems are physical. The irony is, of course, that Peterson himself, shies away from contact as much as possible, just as he did when Carlos Hyde caught a ball right in front of his zone and he merely waved at Hyde as Hyde blew right past him.

The Cardinals must lead the NFL in first possessions, as for the 8th consecutive game, the Cardinals got the ball first.

As was the case in London, thanks to a nifty first down stop-and-go pass up the right sideline from Drew Stanton to John Brown of 52 yards the Cardinals threatened to score on its first possession.

And then IT happened again. Phil Dawson missed a 38 yard field goal.

However, this time the Cardinals' defense responded, when Tyrann Mathieu stripped FB Kyle Juszczyk of the football and Patrick Peterson scooped up the ball and took it inside the 49ers' 5 yard line. Curiously, even though Peterson had a running head start ahead of the field he was chased down on the play by WR Marquis Goodwin.

On a third a goal, Stanton was flushed to his right and managed to feather a TD pass in between 49er defenders into the arms of WR Jaron Brown to make it 7-0 Cardinals. It was a risky pass thrown back inside that typically is picked off in traffic, but it worked.

Stanton looked fairly comfortable throughout the game...aided heavily by RB Adrian Peterson's impressive 37/159/4.3 performance...and some timely passes, such as the 11 yard TD pass to TE Jermaine Gresham, which made the score 14-3 Cardinals.

Stanton had a chance to put the Cardinals up 21-3 in the second quarter, but threw a pass to the wrong side of Gresham that Eric Reed intercepted in the end zone. BA said he got greedy with the call, but, if Stanton throws that pass to the inside where Gresham had the leverage, it was a good call.

Despite Peterson's monster game and the constant pressure the defense put on Beathard, the Cardinals could only muster 6 points in the second half.

Stanton's passing mechanics are conspicuously flawed. He tends to **** the ball, cup it and then push it out. His release is rarely clean or smooth. As a result, his completion percentages tend to hover at or below the 50% mark. He has a tendency to sail the ball when hurried, which he tried to correct in this game, but wound up throwing the ball low or into the ground.

But, Stanton is a gritty competitor. He says he doesn't care about stats, he only cares about making enough plays to win. He is now 7-3 as a spot starter in Arizona, with 3 of those wins coming against the 49ers.

The Cardinals allowed the 49ers to keep this a game, when once again, the Cardinals' defense laid an egg on the first possession of the 3rd quarter. Whatever is happening at half-time with the Cardinals' defense has not been working all year. But, BA keeps insisting that the first 5 minutes of the 3rd quarter is the most critical stretch in the football game.

The Cardinals won this game because the won in the trenches on both sides of the ball. The left side of the Cardinals' offensive line (Gresham/Niklas/Humphries/Boone) accounted for 137 of AP's 159 yards.

On the other side, the Cardinals' defensive line harassed rookie QB C.J. Beathard, to the tune of 5 sacks and a whopping 16 QB hits. Yet, Beathard still had a chance late in the game, thanks to Adrian Peterson's fumble, a late hit by Antoine Bethea on a QB slide and the multiple ejections that followed.

However, a feel-good ending for the Cardinals ensued when Beathard threw a pass that ricocheted off Trent Brown's helmet right in to the waiting arms of Karlos Dansby who became the 5th player in NFL history to record 40 sacks and 20 interceptions.

As for the Cardinals' special teams, aside from Dawson's missed field goal, the teams were solid. Dawson made his next 2 FGs, Andy Lee got better hang time and averaged 45 yards per punt where emerging ST's star Budda Baker was there to clean up.

Per PFF, the top rated players in the game for the Cardinals were DT Corey Peters (3 tackles, 1 sack), T Jared Veldheer, TE Troy Niklas, WR Larry Fitzgerald (5/70) and LB Karlos Dansby (7 tackles, 1 sack, 2 PD, 2 QB hits).

Meanwhile, over in Seattle, the Redskins looked like they might put away the game up 10-8 and marching late when they were flagged for an illegal hit in the back on DT Michael Bennett who deliberately turned his back to go out of bounds on the play. It was an absurd call. These are the kind of game changing breaks the Seahawks typically get. Russell Wilson got the ball back and once again, despite struggling all game long he goes 7/7 in the 4th quarter and throws a go ahead TD to Doug Baldwin with a little over 90 seconds left.

However, Kurt Cousins flips the script by leading the Redskins on a 75 yard TD drive in a mere 35 seconds, thanks to a spectacular diving catch of a deep fade to WR Josh Doctson.

Obviously the Cardinals are going to have an enormous challenge on offense up front versus Seattle's prolific front 7. It will be much harder this week to open holes and to prevent their speedy trio of LBs from shooting the gaps straight to the upright Peterson. DT Michael Bennett and MLB Bobby Wagner could dominate this game. BA has to find a way to keep Wagner off-balance, through play action passes. This is a game where having a FB to iso on Wagner would be huge...if only...

Plus, as we know, Seattle's pass rush is formidable. It would be helpful for BA to move Stanton around a few times as he did on a few occasions---and wow---great call from BA to run Stanton off the read option!

The one little throwback screen Stanton threw to Peterson looked well timed---this is another way to slow Seattle's pass rush down---that and the sprint draw that Ellington burned them with a couple of years ago.

On the other side of the ball, it was crystal clear once again yesterday that Tyrann Mathieu is at his best when he is up in the box. In space at FS he is too slow and tentative. Seattle has two burners at WR in Baldwin and Paul Richardson, plus two very good pass catching TEs in Jimmy Graham and Luke Willson. They will be looking to attack the Cardinals over the middle---intermediate and deep.

The Cardinals did do a better job this week of keeping contain, but one has to wonder whether OLB Kareem Martin is athletic and quick enough to contain and chase Russell Wilson. it would be huge this week if Haason Reddick could step up on the edge and make plays on Wilson. The Redskins did a good job of not overcommitting on their rushes and keeping Wilson hemmed in the pocket. Inside defenders have to be able to shed their blocks quickly to make plays on Wilson. Plus, James Bettcher would be wise to put a spy on Wilson the way the Redskins did with ILB Zach Brown. The Cardinals cannot play zones versus Wilson. he will pick those zones apart. Pressure man coverage on contained rushes with a middle spy is the key.

The Cardinals need big games from Deone Bucannon who almost had his 3rd double-digit tackles game in a row (9 tackles vs. SF) and Karlos Dansby, who looked much more like his old self (or younger self) vs. SF.

On STs the Seahawks are suddenly also having kicking issues as Blair Walsh missed 3 FGs versus the Redskins. Punt returner Tyler Lockett is not quite as explosive after his ankle injury, but he's still very good. With a short week it would be tough for either the Seahawks or the Cardinals to change kickers....and we all know how poor kicking affected last year's 6-6 OT tie in Arizona.

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Wasn't able to watch the game except for pieces from the Red Zone. The one thing I thought stood out even in the pieces I did see was if SF had a better QB or if Beathard was able to be on target with more passes, this game may have been a different story. More than once I saw Beathard throw short on passes where receivers were open even when he had time. He underthrew Goodwin on the long pass play. Should have been a long TD pass. Short week and Seattle isn't looking good for this team. Those same holes Peterson saw yesterday will be far fewer on Thursday. I appreciate the win however the Cardinals probably played the worse team in the NFL yesterday.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wasn't able to watch the game except for pieces from the Red Zone. The one thing I thought stood out even in the pieces I did see was if SF had a better QB or if Beathard was able to be on target with more passes, this game may have been a different story. More than once I saw Beathard throw short on passes where receivers were open even when he had time. He underthrew Goodwin on the long pass play. Should have been a long TD pass. Short week and Seattle isn't looking good for this team. Those same holes Peterson saw yesterday will be far fewer on Thursday. I appreciate the win however the Cardinals probably played the worse team in the NFL yesterday.

The guy had no time. He had to get rid of the ball early which forces bad throws. Now if we are going against a decent OL we don't get that type of pressure. His receivers didn't help him either.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a third a goal, Stanton was flushed to his right and managed to feather a TD pass throw up a prayer in between 49er defenders into the arms of WR Jaron Brown to make it 7-0 Cardinals. It was a risky pass thrown back inside that typically is picked off in traffic, but it worked.

ftfy... ha!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Goodwin catching PP. When it happened live I didn't realize who #11 was and had the same reaction,but after realizing it was Goodwin it makes sense. Goodwin might be the fastest player in the NFL, if not he's probably top 5. Long jumper in college, he finished 10th in the 2012 Olympics in the long jump. He ran a 4.27 40 at the combine in 2013 which at the time was the 5th fastest in combine history. Multiple scouts clocked him even faster at Texas pro day.

PP may have had a head start but while he was picking that ball up and starting to take off, Goodwin was presumably downfield a bit sprinting to the ball area so it's really not a surprise he caught him even as fast as PP is.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Obviously the Cardinals are going to have an enormous challenge on offense up front versus Seattle's prolific front 7. It will be much harder this week to open holes and to prevent their speedy trio of LBs from shooting the gaps straight to the upright Peterson. DT Michael Bennett and MLB Bobby Wagner could dominate this game. BA has to find a way to keep Wagner off-balance, through play action passes. This is a game where having a FB to iso on Wagner would be huge...if only...a.

There were a couple plays where AP got hit in th backfield, I replayed it just to see who blew their assignment. Nobody blew their assignment. There was a nice hole. AP hits the hole. A SF LB sees the same hole and hits it hard, meeting AP behind the LOS. I remember this being a problem in the preseason. We know BA won't use a FB. But what did they do in the past? Was Iupati quick enough to pull and lead through the hole?

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BA needs to be more creative in the running game, and even run out of different formations. Seriously it looks so obvious to us at home to be able to see what we are lining up for, the defense has to know as well. Freaking run the ball against a 4 or 5 man front instead of the whole damn defense. The one creative playcall was the QB keeper we ran and easily picked up the first, you would think that would be a clue to BA. Wow a little creativity can be very effective, but alas we come right back with the same running formation time and time again. BA juust too stubborn to change.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand the reasoning behind hammering on Patrick Peterson, the best player on the Arizona Cardinals.

Always has to have a player to hate on.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't believe it is hating on anyone. Peterson is a top notch cover guy and one of the best in the league. We all know that.
I do recall the play Mitch is referring to however and the only thing missing was him waving a red cape and yelling Ole'.

Last edited:

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yea plus Peterson was running and kept looking back at Goodwin. You can't out run a 4.27 guy running with a football and looking back too!! So actually it was pretty impressive that Peterson made it to the 5. Its not like they were racing equally.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't believe it is hating on anyone. Peterson is top notch cover guy and one of the best in the league and we all know that.
I do recall the play Mitch is referring to however and the only thing missing was him waving a red cape and yelling Ole'.
I think he went high on Hyde and got stiff-armed. It’s not like he got brushed off by Tarik Coen.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So if we are being critical of Patrick Peterson's lack of physical play, can we be even more critical of Reddick's? He has been an offensive tackle's jock strap since he has started. Maybe if he was more physical, he would make an impact other than getting ejected for a sucker punch.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
So if we are being critical of Patrick Peterson's lack of physical play, can we be even more critical of Reddick's? He has been an offensive tackle's jock strap since he has started. Maybe if he was more physical, he would make an impact other than getting ejected for a sucker punch.

Not sure why they keep playing him where they have him. I'm sure they watch hours of game tape. He's getting stone walled by every OT. Why keep putting him in that position. Get creative Bettcher!

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I don’t understand the reasoning behind hammering on Patrick Peterson, the best player on the Arizona Cardinals.

I totally agree with you that he's without a shadow of a doubt the best player on the team. However, he watched that whole play unfold before his eyes and his reaction was entirely too slow for my liking.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he went high on Hyde and got stiff-armed. It’s not like he got brushed off by Tarik Coen.

He really made no attempt at tacking him. Or at the least it was a pathetic attempt. Deion Sanders would have been proud.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
First, AP needs to build a little running momentum. When he gets a yard into the line before hard contact he then breaks a ton of tackles and carries would be tacklers for a few more yards. Blocking is the issue and if BA wants to run 35 times a game I Good with that but CFL is right, they need a fullback, even if it’s Boehm.

I totally agree this team lacks toughness. Swearinger was more important than SK realized.

They don’t understand how to use Reddick.

TM is still slow in coverage. He can tackle & blitz but that’s not a position.

Dawson should have been cut during the bye. That’s the perfect time to audition.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just looking at the highlights of the Skins/Hawks and DJ Swearinger made yet anohter big play. Why did we let him go??

Reactions: PJ1

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
As I stated prior to the game - this game means nothing. It's pointless to analyze the game or the play of our team, as it nothing that happened on Sunday has anything to do with what will take place Thursday night...nor does it have any impact on the remainder of the season - as is potential post season play. If anything, the win most likely cements that fact that come draft day 2018, the Cards will be forced to wheel & deal to get into a better position to finally pick their QBoF.

As for Thursday night...while the case can be made that the Hawks are not anything close to a juggernaut and therefore, the game will likely be close (at least heading into the 4th quarter), the end result really isn't in question. It's just a matter of how badly will Carroll choose to beat up on BA. Coming off a loss, the Hawks will be out for blood. And they blow our doors off in terms of talent all over the field, with a few exceptions being Fitz and our Petersons. I can see Doug Baldwin having a career night as Badger and anyone else we choose to put on him, will come up woefully short. Wilson will wreak havoc against our defense with his mobility and knack for making the right play at the right time. I'm just hoping we don't get laughed off the field on national TV.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's incredible. I don't post a great deal here bit read most threads. The sly digs at PP are so odd. We've probably got the best CB in the league and people still find ways to knock him down.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I have said this before and I will keep saying it: Patrick Peterson epitomizes what's right and wrong about the Cardinals---he's a superb talent who is great at the things he wants or likes to do, but not all that interested in doing the aspects of his job that he doesn't really like or want to do. This is EXACTLY why the Cardinals are talented pretenders.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I have said this before and I will keep saying it: Patrick Peterson epitomizes what's right and wrong about the Cardinals---he's a superb talent who is great at the things he wants or likes to do, but not all that interested in doing the aspects of his job that he doesn't really like or want to do. This is EXACTLY why the Cardinals are talented pretenders.

Mitch, with all due respect... you're grossly overplaying your concerns with Pat P. Is he a ferocious hitter? Of course not...What he is is the #1 shutdown corner in the NFL, who by the way, essentially forces opposing offenses to run their offense on half a field!
The issue isn't that Pat doesn't like to hit...the issue is coaching and talent management! Keim should be better at finding appropriate complementary talent to Pat, and BA and his staff should be MUCH better at coaching these complementary pieces.
Your scorn needs to be redirected buddy...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson