AZ 20 SF 10 Thoughts

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I’ve seen very little evidence that Patrick Peterson avoids contact or doesn’t like to force the run.

Some people just don’t like talent.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Mitch wants Peterson to pretend like he’s Kam Chancellor or something.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's incredible. I don't post a great deal here bit read most threads. The sly digs at PP are so odd. We've probably got the best CB in the league and people still find ways to knock him down.

It's the same people who ripped on Fitz for being "too soft" until the 2008 playoffs, always saying he was crap compared to Boldin. Fact.

Anyone can ask me to bump those threads. I'll find them. I have not forgotten.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the same people who ripped on Fitz for being "too soft" until the 2008 playoffs, always saying he was crap compared to Boldin. Fact.

Anyone can ask me to bump those threads. I'll find them. I have not forgotten.

I used to be one of those people who banged on PP every once in a while, but since 2014, the guy has been flat out NAILS out there.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was listening to a program on NFL radio and they were discussing DPOY. Patrick Peterson was their first choice. Said no one hears about him because the Cards are so bad, but players and coaches know.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was listening to a program on NFL radio and they were discussing DPOY. Patrick Peterson was their first choice. Said no one hears about him because the Cards are so bad, but players and coaches know.

The Aeneas Syndrome

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
What he does in coverage is special, but he's a very average tackler. But this D would be in a world of hurt without him.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Just watched the play with PP and Hyde. PP was stiff armed hard into the face mask. He didn't miss the tackle at all, just got an hand to the face and was pushed back. I doubt anyone could have tackled him.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Mitch, who is the worst tackler you ever saw? I think it's a tie between PP and Deion Sanders.

Deion was the worst. But he was very slight of frame, PP is not.

Aeneas Williams and Roger Wehrli were the two best CBs I have ever seen on the Cardinals. They were complete players, through and through. Very disciplined in coverage in both man and zone, good, strong tacklers and excellent blitzers. These guys were finishers.

Peterson is elite in man coverage and below average at everything else: zone coverage, tackling and punt returning (not for lack of talent, but for lack of desire). And because of that, he is not a credible or true leader. He's a faker.

Funny, but does anyone ever remember Patrick Peterson blitzing? Why not? I bet he's told the coaches he doesn't want to. Some will say that the coaches can't take the risk of taking PP off the best WR, but the whole point of blitzing is to surprise the QB, to sack him or to force him to get rid of the ball quickly. When teams blitz their CB the safety picks up the WR and knows that the ball is coming out quick.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Just watched the play with PP and Hyde. PP was stiff armed hard into the face mask. He didn't miss the tackle at all, just got an hand to the face and was pushed back. I doubt anyone could have tackled him.

That's the standard you hold your defensive players to? Really?

Once Hyde crossed Peterson's face on the route Peterson should have broken toward Hyde and tackled him the minute he touched the ball. Instead Peterson acted like it was a blown coverage from someone else, and he came at Hyde tentatively and high...both of which are mistakes that abandon any and all teaching of fundamental tackling. Peterson should have lowered his pad level and driven through Hyde's legs. Hyde made him look silly. It was a pathetic effort.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
That's the standard you hold your defensive players to? Really?

Once Hyde crossed Peterson's face on the route Peterson should have broken toward Hyde and tackled him the minute he touched the ball. Instead Peterson acted like it was a blown coverage from someone else, and he came at Hyde tentatively and high...both of which are mistakes that abandon any and all teaching of fundamental tackling. Peterson should have lowered his pad level and driven through Hyde's legs. Hyde made him look silly. It was a pathetic effort.
Sorry Mitch. I have to chuckle at people telling Peterson how he should play. He's going to the HOF one day.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Here's my beef with Peterson, he is a team captain and as such is suppose to set the bar and the tone of the defense. When his efforts are less than 100% in all phases of the game it sends a message to the rest of the defense that it's okay to give less than 100% especially in areas you dislike. I'm sure lack of effort on tackling shows up nicely on film sessions. Watching a guy run by you with almost no effort to get involved in the play also shows up on film sessions. Peterson claims he is a captain and as such needs to set the tone. The problem is he isn't making himself accountable for the position he holds.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
He was a cancer in the locker room & freelanced instead of sticking to his assignments by some reports.

So he goes to DC and they vote him to be one of their captains. The Cardinals' excuses make no sense. In fact, BA&SK were lauding DJS last year for putting extra time into film study. He was one of the very few hard hitters out there and he started getting his hands on a lot of passes. Again, it makes no sense, especially seeing as the team still needs a FS centerfielder.

Reactions: PJ1
Reaction score
So he goes to DC and they vote him to be one of their captains. The Cardinals' excuses make no sense. In fact, BA&SK were lauding DJS last year for putting extra time into film study. He was one of the very few hard hitters out there and he started getting his hands on a lot of passes. Again, it makes no sense, especially seeing as the team still needs a FS centerfielder.

It doesn't make sense to the common fan because we don't see what goes on in the clubhouse.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
It doesn't make sense to the common fan because we don't see what goes on in the clubhouse.

Right, but we see what goes on out on the field and there is no question that DJS brought a toughness and swag that this year's team is lacking.

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score

Obviously he wasn't a 'BA guy'. They held onto less than marginal players, paying them way too much, because they were 'BA guys'. He should have learned how to kiss BA's azz better.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This hate on PP is only here, because you want to have someone that is at fault of the players. But, PP's effort is always there. He isn't a bad tackler and calling him above average as a CB on all but man coverage is just disgusting. Sorry Mitch, but you have to much hate on PP that isn't varanted.

PP recognized the play, most CB wouldn't have, than he reacts fast and goes against Hyde that puts his hand on the facemask and pushes PP's head back.

Lowering the pad level too deep would have done nothing but hyde hurdle him. And that wouldn't have slowed down Hyde. There was no one behind PP, if PP gets hurdled, hyde could have breaken free, so the other D players recognized too and stoped hyde for near to no damage.

Sometimes you have to react fast and right, PP21 had Lynch to learn, he missed on some of the lowered pad level tackles and Lynch was gone. You called in out on that plays too, that he has to stay up and slow Lynch down to get help and now you rip him, because he did the right thing? Gosh ... rip on Bettcher, rip on CB#2 and so on but PP21 shows that he cares, if you watch him he shows that on every broken play that our D gives up and on any blunder.

The game was bad, we can't score really against the 49ers and I don't think we will score against the Hawks, the got burned and they will need to win. This game could get Whizenpunt ugly.