ESPN insider rumor, Amare could end up in Washington

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
O'Neal for T-Mac?

Yao Ming is always injured, O'Neal playing next to him or off the bench can work.
Right now, if Rox had O'Neal off the bench to give post offense Rox look good against the Lakers.
They have the perimeter defense and tough hustling PF/SF to support O'Neal.

People have to got to start realizing that Shaq's expiring contract may be more valuable to US then whatever we could possibly get back in trade.

You'd think people would learn from the Anquan Boldin situation--how sometimes a player may not just return what you think they should.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
People have to got to start realizing that Shaq's expiring contract may be more valuable to US then whatever we could possibly get back in trade.

You'd think people would learn from the Anquan Boldin situation--how sometimes a player may not just return what you think they should.

Actually Anquan's situation is a little different. He wants a new deal around $9-10M a year, teams aren't willing to pay that on top of the compensation the Cards want in return.

Shaq is expiring which is going to really help someone out salary cap wise plus he has shown there is still something left in the tank (3rd Team All-NBA, All Star). An above average young player and a draft pick is not asking for alot for him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Actually Anquan's situation is a little different. He wants a new deal around $9-10M a year, teams aren't willing to pay that on top of the compensation the Cards want in return.

Shaq is expiring which is going to really help someone out salary cap wise plus he has shown there is still something left in the tank (3rd Team All-NBA, All Star). An above average young player and a draft pick is not asking for alot for him.

Good luck with that.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
Of course they are talking about a yao for shaq trade, yao could very well be done for in the nba since his injury seems to be something that could be around for a long while or even permanent. He could end up with an nba career like Grant Hill or worse Penny.

If there's anybody that can rescue Yao's career, it's the Suns. We have miracle workers on the training staff. I'd do this trade in a heartbeat.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Quite possibly, if the Suns don't get trigger happy like with KT and eat the LT for one season. Minimally Shaq is a 20M dollar expiring contract and things will be looking good salary wise after next season. If Shaq is still a force at the trading deadline (and the Suns are clearly not a championship contender) the Suns might get a pot of gold for him.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Are there even a lot of other big contracts out there that we could use to help match Shaqs? It seems like most of those (like Wally Szczerbiaks) end this year. As much as I hated the Shaq trade, and hate having him on my team, I think it probably makes the most sense for the Suns to just have him next year and let his contract expire. I really can't see us getting much for him that doesn't involve receiving some awful longer contract in return (like was discussed in that deal w/ Cleveland)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Quite possibly, if the Suns don't get trigger happy like with KT and eat the LT for one season. Minimally Shaq is a 20M dollar expiring contract and things will be looking good salary wise after next season. If Shaq is still a force at the trading deadline (and the Suns are clearly not a championship contender) the Suns might get a pot of gold for him.

That is certainly possible, but I am in the minority when I say it's probably unlikely. My only hope when it comes to Shaq is that IF we trade him, we don't give him away for something that could bite us later. At least if we just let him walk, we'll know exactly where we stand come July 2010.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wizards Don't Want Another Project
The Wizards, according to league insiders, are hesitant to take on yet another project player and would rather package their pick in a trade for a veteran who could contribute immediately.
The last time the Wizards wound up with the fifth selection in the draft was 2004, after they had posted a 25-57 record. Wizards team president Ernie Grunfeld, however, used that pick to select Devin Harris and shipped him, Jerry Stackhouse and Christian Laettner to the Dallas Mavericks for Jamison.

"We can only control what we can control," Ernie Grunfeld said. "We've said that when healthy, we believe we are a playoff team capable with competing with anyone in the league. We have three All-Stars and young players that have proven themselves to be NBA-quality, and we'll be getting somebody who can help us." -- The Washington Times

per espn.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wizards Don't Want Another Project
The Wizards, according to league insiders, are hesitant to take on yet another project player and would rather package their pick in a trade for a veteran who could contribute immediately.
The last time the Wizards wound up with the fifth selection in the draft was 2004, after they had posted a 25-57 record. Wizards team president Ernie Grunfeld, however, used that pick to select Devin Harris and shipped him, Jerry Stackhouse and Christian Laettner to the Dallas Mavericks for Jamison.

"We can only control what we can control," Ernie Grunfeld said. "We've said that when healthy, we believe we are a playoff team capable with competing with anyone in the league. We have three All-Stars and young players that have proven themselves to be NBA-quality, and we'll be getting somebody who can help us." -- The Washington Times

per espn.
How did that work out for them? Dopes.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot they had a decent year or so.

Which is much better than the lousy two decades preceding that decent stretch of four years. Jamison has been an All-Star for them. It isn't like Devin Harris is Chris Paul. He would've been good for them, but I don't think they could've done much better than they have with Arenas and Jamison.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is much better than the lousy two decades preceding that decent stretch of four years. Jamison has been an All-Star for them. It isn't like Devin Harris is Chris Paul. He would've been good for them, but I don't think they could've done much better than they have with Arenas and Jamison.
Good points.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The fifth pick is way too little for Amare, depending on how much they would like to dump Arenas contract maybe we could work something out.