Ed Oliver...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Just wait till Indy when he destroys the combine. He’s a monster.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Along with injury and a nasty attitude.

Injury and nasty attitude? Please do more research. The incident with Applewhite and the jacket was a one-time event and both sides apologized for it.

Oliver’s injury wasn’t serious at all. He missed a month due to a “bruised right knee”. He definitely was playing it safe since UH’s season was slowly going down the drain and he had nothing more to gain. He played the final regular season game but decided to sit out the bowl game.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Oliver was mentioned all year long as a possible #1 overall pick while Bosa sat out. Quinnen Williams made a name for himself late in the year and kind of stole the thunder a bit from Oliver. Then the quarterbacks naturally rise in the draft too. Oliver may be around at pick 4-7.
Some guys will light up the combine and for better or worse it will overshadow game tape. I expect to see some names come out as the combine heroes:

Oliver
Haskins
Kyler Murray
DK Metcalf
Cody Ford
Mack Wilson
Martez Ivey
JJ Arceaga Whiteside will all make themselves into first rounders.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#6 in a deep DL draft. Goes 10 -15.

I feel confident he will win the underwear olympics aka Combine, but he will not be top 10 because of combine.

Question marks all around him

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
#6 in a deep DL draft. Goes 10 -15.

I feel confident he will win the underwear olympics aka Combine, but he will not be top 10 because of combine.

Question marks all around him

Not really.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There are so many question marks with Oliver that he isn't going to be able to answer at the combine. He has incredible burst and agility. But he is undersized, underdeveloped pass rush moves, and doesn't rush with a plan beyond getting into the backfield. Locating the ball was also one of the biggest weaknesses for Nkemdiche in college. Although it does cause disruption, he rarely finishes the play.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
was reading his scouting report on NFL.com and he gets a starter rank but they think he will get handled by bigger stronger NFl types due to his lacking length and bulk.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When he shows up at the Combine will he have bulked up for the show or slowed down because he did? He looks like a tweener to me.

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
There are so many question marks with Oliver that he isn't going to be able to answer at the combine. He has incredible burst and agility. But he is undersized, underdeveloped pass rush moves, and doesn't rush with a plan beyond getting into the backfield. Locating the ball was also one of the biggest weaknesses for Nkemdiche in college. Although it does cause disruption, he rarely finishes the play.

Ed Oliver had 53 tackles for loss in 3 years at UH (22 his freshman year). He also had 13.5 sacks.

Nkemdiche had 16 TFL in 3 years at Ole Miss. Only 6 sacks.

That’s a pretty bad comparison.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ed Oliver had 53 tackles for loss in 3 years at UH (22 his freshman year). He also had 13.5 sacks.

Nkemdiche had 16 TFL in 3 years at Ole Miss. Only 6 sacks.

That’s a pretty bad comparison.

It's worse to scout by looking at stats!

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
It's worse to scout by looking at stats!

But if you watch the tape, the stats tell you what you’re seeing. He was dominant in finding the ball carrier in the backfield.

And in regards to his pass-rushing skills, let’s give the kid some slack. He attended UH, not exactly known for their defensive coaching. The NFL can definitely coach him up in that regard. I really believe that if Ed Oliver went to a bigger school, he’d be #1 overall player in this draft.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
But if you watch the tape, the stats tell you what you’re seeing. He was dominant in finding the ball carrier in the backfield.

And in regards to his pass-rushing skills, let’s give the kid some slack. He attended UH, not exactly known for their defensive coaching. The NFL can definitely coach him up in that regard. I really believe that if Ed Oliver went to a bigger school, he’d be #1 overall player in this draft.

So, cut him slack for the lower level coaching, but not for the level of competition that led to his stats? Everyone assumes he will develop better technique, but what if he doesn't? That's like saying a big, fast WR will learn to run routes. I'm not excited to have a raw, undersized 5tech that can't set the edge.

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
So, cut him slack for the lower level coaching, but not for the level of competition that led to his stats? Everyone assumes he will develop better technique, but what if he doesn't? That's like saying a big, fast WR will learn to run routes. I'm not excited to have a raw, undersized 5tech that can't set the edge.

If you play him at the 5-technique, then you’re playing him out of position. You need to line him up at 3-technique, similar to what Aaron Donald plays in the Rams 3-4 defense.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
As much as I like Oliver --and I do-- he is a 4-3 defense "3 tech"...He would not hold up as a "5 tech" DE, even in an attacking one gap scheme.

We need to draft people who fit our scheme.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you play him at the 5-technique, then you’re playing him out of position. You need to line him up at 3-technique, similar to what Aaron Donald plays in the Rams 3-4 defense.

Call his position what you will, but he essentially is a one gap player that is only asked to get up field. He has zero versatility, which is less than ideal. Aaron Donald is bigger, much stronger and was so much more advanced with technique than Oliver is now. Donald played with so much more power at Pitt. He is so much more versatile.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Thinking long term and rebuilding our team, I will stay the course and hope we trade back a few spots, pick up a another high 2nd round pick plus a 1st in 2020, and still get one of these top studs like a Williams, Oliver, CB, DE, or OT. To me that's how you rebuild.

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Call his position what you will, but he essentially is a one gap player that is only asked to get up field. He has zero versatility, which is less than ideal. Aaron Donald is bigger, much stronger and was so much more advanced with technique than Oliver is now. Donald played with so much more power at Pitt. He is so much more versatile.

Donald is bigger?
Donald - 6’1 285 lbs
Oliver - 6’3 292 lbs

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score

You do realize that Oliver was playing 1-technique nose-tackle at UH right?

Pretty hard to assume that one of the most athletic defensive lineman in the draft has zero versatility.

And let’s not forget that Donald played 4 years at Pitt.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If ARZ is staying at #1 they need to take Bosa. If they trade down, then take Oliver or Greedy Williams depending on how far they drop.