Early impressions

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bradley, Hirano and Godley are disappointments, as is Ray to a lesser extent, and Swihart is performing here even worse than he was in Boston. In terms of the position players, nobody else that isn't hurt is under-performing.
We have different opinions on the word disappointment. To me a disappointment is a player making big money and not playing up to their contract. The relievers you mention, making peanuts, easily replaceable and I don't see ARZ re-signing them. Ray isn't a disappointment as long as you accept him for what he is, a #3 pitcher who'll give you 5 innings max (a quality start every once in a while) and strikes out a lot of guys but walks his fair share as well. He's only making $6M this year which is nothing for a SP these days. Who's Blake Swihart anyways?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swihart is a Red Sox reject that Hazen and TL picked up, since no one else wanted. Played bad, but TL kept using him. Now injured

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We have different opinions on the word disappointment. To me a disappointment is a player making big money and not playing up to their contract. The relievers you mention, making peanuts, easily replaceable and I don't see ARZ re-signing them. Ray isn't a disappointment as long as you accept him for what he is, a #3 pitcher who'll give you 5 innings max (a quality start every once in a while) and strikes out a lot of guys but walks his fair share as well. He's only making $6M this year which is nothing for a SP these days. Who's Blake Swihart anyways?

To me disappointment means under-performing relative to expectations and recent past performance.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
To me disappointment means under-performing relative to expectations and recent past performance.
I agree!

Playing or not playing up to their contract is the General Manager's concern.

Playing or not playing up to fans' expectations is our concern.

I cringe every time I see a fan post something like, "I don't want a certain player unless he is cheap."

If we don't think a certain player will help the team, who cares how cheap he is.

Especially if he is tying up a roster spot that could be occupied by someone more worthy.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree!

Playing or not playing up to their contract is the General Manager's concern.

Playing or not playing up to fans' expectations is our concern.

I cringe every time I see a fan post something like, "I don't want a certain player unless he is cheap."

If we don't think a certain player will help the team, who cares how cheap he is.

Especially if he is tying up a roster spot that could be occupied by someone more worthy.
You care how cheap they are because they aren’t costing you anything and can be replaced at the end of the year. Who are you going to replace those 3 in the bullpen with right now, answer is no one because you don’t have anyone in minors who is ready yet unless it’s Ginkel in AA. Another little fact for you to chew on is this season as a whole is going to be a disappointment because ARZ will not make the playoffs.