Durant to Suns

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mikal wasnt going to be an all-star for us. If he becomes an all-star in BK, it’s because he was given the opportunity to be the “guy.” However, this situation is akin to Lauri Markkanen’s in Utah. The coach gave him the reins to the offense and Lauri rewarded him by being an all-star starter. However, Lauri isn’t the piece that makes you a championship contender, just a fringe playoff team. We know Mikal is hot garbage in the playoffs, so that tells you all you need to know about his value to a title contender.

What? That's news to me. Did he play great last postseason? No. Did anyone though? Way too early to describe his post season play as "hot garbage". He stepped up in the bubble, he played well in our finals run, and he also won a national championship in college. His play when it matters is more in line with his season averages than hot garbage.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OTOH, most championship teams revolve around superstars. Only the bad boy Pistons come to mind in the last 30 years to buck that trend (kind of).
2004 Pistons too. But that’s pretty much it as far teams winning without a unicorn superstar or stars.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't think we are getting anything concrete until tomorrow.
I think that’s probably not good if true. An MRI can be read immediately. If there was good news, I’ve got to believe they’d want that out there sooner than later. But could be wrong and hope to be if we hear nothing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mikal wasnt going to be an all-star for us. If he becomes an all-star in BK, it’s because he was given the opportunity to be the “guy.” However, this situation is akin to Lauri Markkanen’s in Utah. The coach gave him the reins to the offense and Lauri rewarded him by being an all-star starter. However, Lauri isn’t the piece that makes you a championship contender, just a fringe playoff team. We know Mikal is hot garbage in the playoffs, so that tells you all you need to know about his value to a title contender.
I think you're wrong but I've thought you were wrong with almost everything you've said about Mikal. No matter how little or how highly we value him though, he's thought of highly around the league. All you have to do is watch the other team's broadcast every night and hear how they talk about him.

I think his scoring increase prior to the trade would have moved him into the all star conversation pretty soon although we'd probably need some postseason success to insure it happened. But now we'll likely never know.

As for Mikal's playoff play, much of his value doesn't show up in PER but for whatever it's worth, his PER was higher in the postseason last year than it has been in any regular season prior to the trade to Brooklyn. I don't expect it to hold up but his PER in Brooklyn would put him among the game's elite (25.4).

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah.... I get it. We just weren't getting there. That's my take. We needed a change. You don't get blown out of your building to end your season like we did and then have other games where we got blown out the next year and then expect the be title contenders that same year.

We needed the change, and Mikal is the bridge to get us there.

Not for us. I'm glad for him and for his opportunity, but that was not happening with us.
Yeah not buying that. It's the same guy. Breakout was coming no matter where he played.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
"Sources"

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Willing to bet this isn't real.

Then again, have you seen the videos out there that show him continuing his warmups for 10 minutes after he turned the anchor? He didn't look hurt at all. Hopefully this was precautionary, but who really knows?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Sources"

Willing to bet this isn't real.

Then again, have you seen the videos out there that show him continuing his warmups for 10 minutes after he turned the anchor? He didn't look hurt at all. Hopefully this was precautionary, but who really knows?
Where the hell is Flex when we really need him?!

Help us Obi-Flex-Jersnoby... you're our only hope!

Last edited:

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I liken Mikal to Larry Nance great player not the one to take you. Nance was better

Reactions: TJ

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may have already been posted but this was after Kevin Durant's fall.

Reactions: TJ

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This may have already been posted but this was after Kevin Durant's fall.

Really hard to believe it is very bad if he is able to do that after it happened.

Ayton has had several turns that looked like that and was only out a week or so, and even on those he limped off after it happened so to me that video is very encouraging.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really hard to believe it is very bad if he is able to do that after it happened.

Ayton has had several turns that looked like that and was only out a week or so, and even on those he limped off after it happened so to me that video is very encouraging.

Let's hope it is more precautionary than anything else.

It could be Durant wanted to play but the Suns wisely thought better of it.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ankle injuries are tricky though. I blew out my ankle some years ago and kept playing but after I took my sneaker off, it ballooned up and I was on crutches for a couple weeks. Hope this isn't the case with KD.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
just checking in to apparently no update - ish is weighing on my tho - don't know if no news is good news or bad news but fingers crossed

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was no practice scheduled for the Suns today but I was hoping we would hear something.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I've been burning sage all afternoon. And from what I hear..... Light can be used as an energy and recovery source. #Suns

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson