Dragic, Gordon, Beasley, and 4 draft pics.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is what it is, I am a Suns fan for life and we finally blew it up. The 62 win 2005 Suns averaging 110 PPG are no more. We blew it up, we got picks, we got younger, we aren't going to contend for a championship until I am in my mid 30's
(hopefully). I don't know how to feel, as a Suns fan since the early 90's I am pretty numb with Nash going to the Lakers. I guess I would rather be bad and young than bad and old. I would really love to see Gordon with our training staff and have a huge year. He's young, he's got potential. It was a roll of the dice, and I know a lot of us would be bitching at the FO if we didn't make moves, but yet some of us are bitching because we did. It's a catch 22...

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If the Suns do wind up with Gordon, they look like this:

Gortat/Lopez?/Frye
Frye/Morris/Warrick?
Dudley/Beasley/Childress?
Gordon/Dudley?/Dragic?
Dragic/Marshall

That looks pretty entrenched in the 30-35 win range. The question is whether they can find enough of an identity to move forward another couple of years from now.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Gortat/Lopez?/Frye
Frye/Morris/Warrick?
Gordon/Dudley?/Dragic?
Dragic/Marshall

That looks pretty entrenched in the 30-35 win range. The question is whether they can find enough of an identity to move forward another couple of years from now.

Even if Gortat can bring in 10 a game, that is one of the worst rebounding rosters I've ever seen. Its in many ways just a poor man's Nash Suns. They will be totally reliant on the 3 to win... but far less able to get good looks. 35 wins seems like their max potential.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Gortat/Lopez?/Frye
Frye/Morris/Warrick?
Gordon/Dudley?/Dragic?
Dragic/Marshall

Don't we still have Shannon Brown?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Gortat/Lopez?/Frye
Frye/Morris/Warrick?
Gordon/Dudley?/Dragic?
Dragic/Marshall

I have a hard time believing Dudley will start over Beasley.

And that frontcourt is pathetic. Nobody can post-up or play with the back to the basket on that team.

Childress will be amnestied how else do we afford those signings, must amnesty 1 not sure if Warrick would do it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My prediction: Dragic will be about equal with Nash next year (especially since he is a better defender). The year after, he will be considered the better player. I just can't see how age will not finally take its toll.

Maybe this is expecting too much of Dragic, but we have all seen him do it. He seems to do it more consistently all the time.

It wasnt until this point in his career that Nash really started to put it together.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I hate the Dragic signing, if he doesnt explode this will be the worst moves in Suns history.

He played like the worst player in the NBA for us, then you trade him, then he plays well for 2 months and is a FA and you bring him back on a expensive contract. It's been barely over a year since he sucked big time for us.

I don't think Dragic is a floor general at all, not a team leader, trouble to play in a structured offense. He is erratic and often out of control, he needs freedom for his game but we sign Gordon to be our star player on the perimeter.

Also Dragic isn't really fit for teaching Kendall Marshall, he will just stand in his way.

Absolutely horrid signing. They would have been better off signing a veteran PG and a big man because our frontcourt sucks.

Gortat has no post-up game, Frye doesn't. Markieff and Lopez have a little bit but not much. Our frontcourt is one of the worst in the league still. Gortat at best is an average center without being fed on pick and rolls all game.

We have a frontcourt that can't play with the back ot the basket, is utterly terrible at help defense and does not rebound well and is way below average athletically.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing Dudley will start over Beasley.

And that frontcourt is pathetic. Nobody can post-up or play with the back to the basket on that team.

Childress will be amnestied how else do we afford those signings, must amnesty 1 not sure if Warrick would do it.

Suns are at 31.5 for 2012-13. Add 13.5 for Gordon, 7 for Dragic, and 5.75 for Beasley (which will roughly be their first year salaries assuming the max 4.5% annual increases) and that gives us 57.5 million which should be just under the cap. We wouldn't have to amnesty Childress. All we have to do is renounce the rights to all of our free agents, including Lopez.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I hate the Dragic signing, if he doesnt explode this will be the worst moves in Suns history.

He played like the worst player in the NBA for us, then you trade him, then he plays well for 2 months and is a FA and you bring him back on a expensive contract. It's been barely over a year since he sucked big time for us.

I don't think Dragic is a floor general at all, not a team leader, trouble to play in a structured offense. He is erratic and often out of control, he needs freedom for his game but we sign Gordon to be our star player on the perimeter.

Also Dragic isn't really fit for teaching Kendall Marshall, he will just stand in his way.

Absolutely horrid signing. They would have been better off signing a veteran PG and a big man because our frontcourt sucks.

Gortat has no post-up game, Frye doesn't. Markieff and Lopez have a little bit but not much. Our frontcourt is one of the worst in the league still. Gortat at best is an average center without being fed on pick and rolls all game.

We have a frontcourt that can't play with the back ot the basket, is utterly terrible at help defense and does not rebound well and is way below average athletically.

We're rebuilding. We're not expecting to have everything fixed this year

Basically what we'll be this year is the GS Warriors - a bad but possibly entertaining team. That I can handle during a rebuild

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Yes but we won't renounce the rights to Lopez. That is just dumb, he is the only player that protects the rim somewhat on this team and we can't get a decent young backup center easily to replace him especially with no money available.

Gordon starts at 12.9.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Basically what we'll be this year is the GS Warriors - a bad but possibly entertaining team. That I can handle during a rebuild

Too bad they build and lost all flexibility they had immediately. And the Golden State Warriors are a team that is terrible to emulate. They are in mediocrity since the early 90s. Always bad but never bad enough to get that difference maker in the draft.

All of the Lakers picks plus more will probably go to New Orleans so we can overpay a 6'3 combo guard with bad knees.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Yes but we won't renounce the rights to Lopez. That is just dumb, he is the only player that protects the rim somewhat on this team and we can't get a decent young backup center easily to replace him especially with no money available.

Gordon starts at 12.9.

Likely we're planning on losing salary during the S&T for Gordon (assuming that happens) or amnestying Childress (much more likely)

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Likely we're planning on losing salary during the S&T for Gordon (assuming that happens) or amnestying Childress (much more likely)

And why would New Orleans agree to take on salary from us?

We would have to give up assets, players on good contracts.

New Orleans is not going to take on Childress or Frye the ones we would have to move without further assets. They would at least want Gortat to offset Childress.

Warrick should be waived, he got 4M$ left, the Suns could waive him and stretch his remaining salary over 2 or 3 years I am not sure what the parameters were here. It was something like double the remaining years.. That would create 2M$ extra caproom this year at the cost of 2M$ next year.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

You obviously haven't seen Dragic to play in Houston.

OP
OP
Broseph

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Bingo

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Too bad they used up all their ammo. How will they continue to build with no capspace and no top picks and no franchise player?

Even if we get Gordon we are probably the worst team in the division on paper.

Lakers and Clippers are obvious.

Golden State has Bogut, Lee, Barnes, Thompson and Curry. Easily the better starting 5.

And Sacramento will destroy our frontcourt with Cousins and Thomas Robinson.

We will be a in dog fight with Sacramento for 4th in the pacific division and probably end up drafting between #8-14. None of the players we signed is capable of turning a team around.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Too bad they used up all their ammo. How will they continue to build with no capspace and no top picks and no franchise player?

Golden State has Bogut, Lee, Barnes, Thompson and Curry. Easily the better starting 5.

We will be a in dog fight with Sacramento for 4th in the pacific division and probably end up drafting between #8-14. None of the players we signed is capable of turning a team around.

You just answered your own question - if we suck that bad we draft high and improve through the draft

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

You have been saying for years how much better the Kings are and evey year they suck.

I think ever since Amare has been traded you don't like any moves the Suns do. How about you wait and see what this team looks like and plays like before you start your complaining.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard