Draft Day Quandry

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know it's early, but since I think we're going to be in for a tough season, I'm looking forward to the draft. And this is a possible quandry.
1. We end up with a very high draft pick and take a top DL or OL player.
2. We trade back and accumulate addl picks.

Which way to go?

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Too bad there is not a super stud QB in this draft class (so far), or else I would suggest we trade back and get more picks.

To answer the question I wouild take Oliver or Bosa.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. Stay at #1 pick a generational talent(Bosa or Oliver). I believe in never drafting a OL in the top 3, especially with talents like Bosa & Oliver on the board. That’s how bad teams stay bad.

We should trade back starting in the 2nd round.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it's early, but since I think we're going to be in for a tough season, I'm looking forward to the draft. And this is a possible quandry.

Which way to go?
Door #2. Please.

Cards have cap capital and can afford multi picks & FAs. Mid tier teams in need of a QBOF would be partners. There is plenty of QB talent in next years draft.

Lock
Herbert
Grier
Singler
Stidham
Patterson

et al.

Trading partner potential

Packers
Cowboys
Saints
Bucs

Last edited:

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
This. I loved Keim when he came in, but his first round picks have been crappy. I'd rather take the sure fire stud over a couple potentially pretty good players. Give me the next Aaron Donald (or Joey Bosa) over all 3 of the next Deone, Hassan, and Nkemidche
1. Stay at #1 pick a generational talent(Bosa or Oliver). I believe in never drafting a OL in the top 3, especially with talents like Bosa & Oliver on the board. That’s how bad teams stay bad.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Bosa or Oliver in Round 1.Then improve the OLINE,WR,TE,LB.If Cards are convinced Rosen is the QBOF then give him better protection on the oline and better targets to throw to.Get some damn real LBs..enough with the converted Safety BS.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
This is a trick question.

You should do whatever has the most value however that assumes you have a GM that can evaluate that and it also assumes this will manifest itself on YOUR team not the team they go to after you cut them.

We should probably let a trained circus chicken "nicknamed Pottsvilles best ****" peck out our picks and see how that goes for a change.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

...nah man..if we got pick 1...we also got pick 33....if we are gonna trade pick 33 it should be to move back into the first round to get another stud with a fifth year option...otherwise, just select the first rounder who slipped because there was a run on OT's or someone reached on a QB.
I would only even trade a top three pick if we got something like 2 firsts and 2 seconds...even then I wouldnt trade back past around 10-12...pending how many game changes turn out to be in the draft

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Which way to go?

I think this team needs more quality depth than major starts, but at the same time I would probably stay at the position to pick a player, if it is in the top five, and that goes for at least the second round selection as well. The hope is that you don’t draft that high very often, so I would take advantage of it. The last time the Cardinals drafted that high, they got Patrick Peterson, just to put it in some perspective.

Now, whether the target would be Nick Bosa, Ed Oliver or someone else is very much up in the air. That can change several times between now and the draft, and it does almost every year.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we have a chance at a top 5 pick, the same career results as those seen from our last two would punch the ticket...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sign proven WR free agents in offseason.

Draft nothing but defensive line, linebackers, and offensive linemen.

Not to rain on your parade, but what was the last successful proven WR free agent? Like, Marvin Jones and Golden Tate? Those guys have been better for the Lions than they were for the teams that drafted them.

I think it actually takes BETTER scouting and evaluation to project a free agent WR than it does a top college prospect (maybe). The last thing you want to do is take, like Brandon Marshall, and project his career averages on to your offense. It's not going to work.

Also, the list of potential free agent WRs is a nightmare. Also, I don't know if all the salary cap-humpers here are calculating in $10-12M for Fitz's inevitable one-year extension.

Too early to tell. It all depends on the offer.

Yes. The Browns and Rams both squandered tremendous amounts of draft capital after they traded out.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
here is the weird thing:

the teams NEEDING a QB is a relatively short list, and many of those are off to a good start / wont be at the top of the draft --

my take on those needing, plus those who might ( noted with a "?")

AFC:
Pats
Dolphins
Steelers (?)
Colts (?)
Broncos
Chargers

NFC:
Giants
Saints (?)
Bucs (?)

the trade up market might be pretty thin

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not to rain on your parade, but what was the last successful proven WR free agent? Like, Marvin Jones and Golden Tate? Those guys have been better for the Lions than they were for the teams that drafted them.

I think it actually takes BETTER scouting and evaluation to project a free agent WR than it does a top college prospect (maybe). The last thing you want to do is take, like Brandon Marshall, and project his career averages on to your offense. It's not going to work.

Also, the list of potential free agent WRs is a nightmare. Also, I don't know if all the salary cap-humpers here are calculating in $10-12M for Fitz's inevitable one-year extension.

Yes. The Browns and Rams both squandered tremendous amounts of draft capital after they traded out.
I don’t think you can project their numbers into your team but you know they’ve got the skill to play. Allen Robinson seems to be doing well for the Bears. Back in the day Gary Clark did well for us. So did rob moore (although he came over in a trade - but the way the player came over shouldn’t impact their success). Lashing Jeffries has also been pretty good (albeit not great) for the eagles. The pats signing welled years ago was good. The browns acquiring Jarvis Landry looks good.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
IF indeed the Cardinals are in one of the top three slots come 2019, then first they need to find a trading partner. Once you have one on the hook you need to reel them in. Then and I THINK MORE IMPORTANTLY IS are the prospects there to use those extra selections on? If they can draft a top Dline man, a LB in the first and then grab a WR in the second it would probably be worth trading away the pick.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
...nah man..if we got pick 1...we also got pick 33....if we are gonna trade pick 33 it should be to move back into the first round to get another stud with a fifth year option...otherwise, just select the first rounder who slipped because there was a run on OT's or someone reached on a QB.
I would only even trade a top three pick if we got something like 2 firsts and 2 seconds...even then I wouldnt trade back past around 10-12...pending how many game changes turn out to be in the draft
Now this is a great point. I wouldn’t be mad at this either, tbh.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don’t think you can project their numbers into your team but you know they’ve got the skill to play. Allen Robinson seems to be doing well for the Bears. Back in the day Gary Clark did well for us. So did rob moore (although he came over in a trade - but the way the player came over shouldn’t impact their success). Lashing Jeffries has also been pretty good (albeit not great) for the eagles. The pats signing welled years ago was good. The browns acquiring Jarvis Landry looks good.

Allen Robinson was a discount deal for a guy coming off a serious knee injury, and Alshon Jeffery was a one-year make-good deal that got extended. When the Pats signed Welker, he had 1 career TD reception and 3 NFL starts.

Landry was acquired on a trade under the franchise tag and extended. It's only been a few games, but he's in the first year of a $75 million deal. I like Jarvis Landry quite a bit, but I don't think they're paying him all that money to catch 4 TDs this season.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Too bad there is not a super stud QB in this draft class (so far), or else I would suggest we trade back and get more picks.

To answer the question I wouild take Oliver or Bosa.
There is a super stud QB, potentially 2-3, in Haskins, Herbert, or the kid from NcSt.

I would be okay with trading back but only if they stay in the top 5.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is a super stud QB, potentially 2-3, in Haskins, Herbert, or the kid from NcSt.

I would be okay with trading back but only if they stay in the top 5.
lmao Finley(kid from NCST) is not going in the 1st round.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

If I had more confidence in our drafting ability, I think I would be more game for the idea. Where I hesitate is that I believe improving our defensive line, both DE and DT, is going to be a high priority and there will be top end players at those positions available.

Right now the idea of getting Ed Oliver DT in the top 5 and David Edwards OT in the 2nd round isn't terrible.

I would prefer Bosa, but I'm not certain we will pick # 1.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Alshon Jeffrey last year with the Eagles comes to mind immediately. Desean Jackson with the Bucs too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson