Draft Day Quandry

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If I had more confidence in our drafting ability, I think I would be more game for the idea. Where I hesitate is that I believe improving our defensive line, both DE and DT, is going to be a high priority and there will be top end players at those positions available.

Right now the idea of getting Ed Oliver DT in the top 5 and David Edwards OT in the 2nd round isn't terrible.

I would prefer Bosa, but I'm not certain we will pick # 1.

It's weird for the cupboard to be so bare at WR when it feels like we've been scooping them off the ground for a generation.

That said, I think you take the BPA at impact positions of QB, OT, Pass Rusher, Cornerback in the Top 5. If you're in 6-15 range, you can work toward a generational talent at ILB (if there is one), DT, WR, or TE.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Alshon Jeffrey last year with the Eagles comes to mind immediately. Desean Jackson with the Bucs too.

As I said, Alson Jeffrey was a one-year prove it deal. Jackson had an explosive start to 2018, for sure. Last season he caught 50 balls for 668 yards and scored 3 TDs. He earned $19 million.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Too early to tell. It all depends on the offer.

No, it’s not really too early to tell. You are obviously right that it comes down to the offer, but it’s easy to see what the Titans, and to an extent the Eagles, has gotten recently and figure that any offer would be about the same.

Like you, I’m not even sure they will pick that high. Now, if Oliver and Bosa will be this highly rated by then is up in the air, but I doubt it would make the potential compensation bigger since both the Rams and the Eagles traded up for quarterbacks.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As I said, Alson Jeffrey was a one-year prove it deal. Jackson had an explosive start to 2018, for sure. Last season he caught 50 balls for 668 yards and scored 3 TDs. He earned $19 million.
Jordy Nelson has been the only FA Wr signee that has been playing worth a darn this season. The rest have been doo doo or have been cut.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
There is a super stud QB, potentially 2-3, in Haskins, Herbert, or the kid from NcSt.

I would be okay with trading back but only if they stay in the top 5.

Is Haskins that kid from Ohio State? He should stay another year there, because he's nowhere near ready for the NFL. He was shell-shocked for 1/2 the game at Penn State because he just wasn't used to playing on that kind of a stage. He looks a good prospect, but is only a sophomore, right? Another year should get him into the first round, but he wouldn't go in the 1st in the next draft, IMO, let alone be one of the super stud top QBs.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
No, it’s not really too early to tell. You are obviously right that it comes down to the offer, but it’s easy to see what the Titans, and to an extent the Eagles, has gotten recently and figure that any offer would be about the same.

Like you, I’m not even sure they will pick that high. Now, if Oliver and Bosa will be this highly rated by then is up in the air, but I doubt it would make the potential compensation bigger since both the Rams and the Eagles traded up for quarterbacks.

It's too early in the sense that the value of a high pick is driven up by teams competing for that player. If the Giants or Cowboys are the only teams in the top 15 who are looking to get QBs, the offers will be lower. If one of those teams is at 7 and the other is at 15, I don't know that we make the move. the team at 7 wouldn't make a huge offer, and the team at 15 may not want to give up what it would take to move back to the mid of the first round. I think we are a top 3 team in the draft, but 4 spots and passing up an impact player for a future first isn't always a great move.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess the suggestion that makes the most sense to me is DVontel's. Pick the top guy with our first pick (DL) and then trade back, starting in the 2nd round.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's too early in the sense that the value of a high pick is driven up by teams competing for that player. If the Giants or Cowboys are the only teams in the top 15 who are looking to get QBs, the offers will be lower. If one of those teams is at 7 and the other is at 15, I don't know that we make the move. the team at 7 wouldn't make a huge offer, and the team at 15 may not want to give up what it would take to move back to the mid of the first round. I think we are a top 3 team in the draft, but 4 spots and passing up an impact player for a future first isn't always a great move.

You are right that it is too soon to talk about specifics such as the things you mention about which players are available, which teams want to move up, where in the draft they are and all that other stuff, but this entire thread is based on hypothetical scenarios, so to discuss an imaginary trade by including trade conditions that are factually known seems fair to me. Even the starting point that the Cardinals has a high pick is too early to know anything about.

By the way, I wouldn’t trade it either if they do in fact get a top three pick.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Is Haskins that kid from Ohio State? He should stay another year there, because he's nowhere near ready for the NFL. He was shell-shocked for 1/2 the game at Penn State because he just wasn't used to playing on that kind of a stage. He looks a good prospect, but is only a sophomore, right? Another year should get him into the pfirst round, but he wouldn't go in the 1st in the next draft, IMO, let alone be one of the super stud top QBs.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Is Haskins that kid from Ohio State? He should stay another year there, because he's nowhere near ready for the NFL. He was shell-shocked for 1/2 the game at Penn State because he just wasn't used to playing on that kind of a stage. He looks a good prospect, but is only a sophomore, right? Another year should get him into the first round, but he wouldn't go in the 1st in the next draft, IMO, let alone be one of the super stud top QBs.
Yes, he the QB of Ohio State. I agree he should stay but he’s gone and will be a top 5 pick, if not the #1 pick. He’s a prototype NFL QB.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Allen Robinson was a discount deal for a guy coming off a serious knee injury, and Alshon Jeffery was a one-year make-good deal that got extended. When the Pats signed Welker, he had 1 career TD reception and 3 NFL starts.

Landry was acquired on a trade under the franchise tag and extended. It's only been a few games, but he's in the first year of a $75 million deal. I like Jarvis Landry quite a bit, but I don't think they're paying him all that money to catch 4 TDs this season.
My point is acquiring wrs outside of the draft is imminently possible. Drafted wrs are crapshoots. Rather gamble on defenders with high picks.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My point is acquiring wrs outside of the draft is imminently possible. Drafted wrs are crapshoots. Rather gamble on defenders with high picks.

So are highly paid free agents:
Jeremy Maclin
Terrelle Pryor

I think it might be the hardest position to evaluate and project free agents, is all I'm saying.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
For me the perfect scenario would be for us to have the number one pick and another team trade for it with 3 number ones. Of course one of those would be like the third pick and we still end up with Ed Oliver.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. Stay at #1 pick a generational talent(Bosa or Oliver). I believe in never drafting a OL in the top 3, especially with talents like Bosa & Oliver on the board. That’s how bad teams stay bad.

We should trade back starting in the 2nd round.
I generally agree (although when or whether to trade back depends on how the talent pool stacks up from Round 2 onward).

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope we have a shot getting ed oliver, is a difference maker, he could certainly put the defensive line at another level
Then we have to pursue a player like anthony barr if he hit the free agency

With the second round pick we should look at Rt or Lg

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yes, he the QB of Ohio State. I agree he should stay but he’s gone and will be a top 5 pick, if not the #1 pick. He’s a prototype NFL QB.

Is this coming from any actual sites, or is it just your opinion? I think it's ludicrous to even consider him a 1st rounder at this point. He wasn't ready for the big stage in college yet. It's not that he isn't good--the quality is clearly there--and, as you said, he's a prototypical NFL QB--but I think it'd be a huge mistake to leave after this season. Or for anyone to draft him that high if he does. One more season.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is this coming from any actual sites, or is it just your opinion? I think it's ludicrous to even consider him a 1st rounder at this point. He wasn't ready for the big stage in college yet. It's not that he isn't good--the quality is clearly there--and, as you said, he's a prototypical NFL QB--but I think it'd be a huge mistake to leave after this season. Or for anyone to draft him that high if he does. One more season.

I've never seen him play but from what I've read by the time the draft rolls around the hype from the combine and pro day work out etc. he will be drafted very early.

It's what happens every year in the NFL draft , QBs move up draft boards if they have the measurables.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So are highly paid free agents:
Jeremy Maclin
Terrelle Pryor

I think it might be the hardest position to evaluate and project free agents, is all I'm saying.
That’s possible. My preference is spend limited draft capitol on more impactful positions like d line and backfill wr.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose