Does this described J. Johnson or what?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a tiny blurb in the last week's ESPN Insider mentioning that Phoenix Suns representatives were going to be watching Boris Diaw at some point this week. This is his description on NBADraft.net. Sounds like they are describing Joe Johnson's game exactly. The only difference is that he sounds a little more athletic but less developed physically.

Strengths: Athletically there isn't much Diaw doesn't posses with superior leaping ability, length, and quickness ... An underrated post passer who might be the best at his position ... Has the defensive skills that NBA team's love such as foot speed, long arms and quick hands ... Shows the ability to be a solid offensive rebounder on put backs ... Excels in the open court where his athleticism allows him to finish with flair ... Unselfish although almost to a fault he looks constantly for open teammates ... Possesses amazing body control and combined with his basket skills to make some impressive drives to the basket ... Even when the defense adjusts, his creativity allows for impressive finishes in traffic ... When aggressive, he can be a explosive scorer around the rim on dunks ... Diaw's long arms and quick hands enable him to be a threat to steal the ball and disrupt passing lanes ... Plays the game with poise and maturity no matter what the situation ... Does a good job of using the baseline to gain the advantage over the defense on quick lay-ups ... Fundamentally he is very sound and able to do a multitude of tasks well ... Makes solid court decisions when the ball is on his hands ... Team player who does all the little things that don't show up on the stat sheet ... Has excellent court vision rarely seen at his position ...

Weaknesses: Needs to improve on his upper body strength ... Offensively Diaw must focus on becoming more aggressive ... Perimeter shooting remains a very underdeveloped part of his game ... Struggles to make the 3-point shot with consistency ... Diaw has yet to learn how to drawl fouls from opposing defenders on a consistent basis ... Added improvement of his ball handling could enable him to take defenders off the dribble more efficiently ... Lacks the consistency to shoot off the dribble ... Confidence has a tendency to wavier at times ... Doesn't always finish in the lane after contact occurs ... Has few post up skills to take advantage of height mismatches of opposing defenders ... Should work on improving at moving without the ball as he has a habit of watching ... Doesn't play with the intensity level many coaches look for as Diaw approach's the game with a laid back demeanor ... Needs to display more effort on the court consistently ... Sometimes he will defer to teammates instead of looking for his shot ...

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I read that his mother who is France best female basketball player ever doesn't want him to score many points but rather pass the ball and do the other things.

Diaw also reminded me of Joe Johnson when I first read about him. Only difference is that Johnson was one of the best shooters in college. Diaw shot only 2-17 or something like that in this years Euroleague from the european 3pt-line.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Joe does have a nice stroke, but yes this article does sound alot like him...

Joe could be a very very good player somday, but we have to be patient, he is only months older than Amare. Joe struggles only from youth, in a few years he will be one of the better 2's in the nba IMO...

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Boris Diaw is 1 of the few Europeans interested in, if scouting reports are accurate (outside the perimeter shooting). Diaw sounds like a mixture of Joe Johnson, Darius Miles, Andrei Kirilenko, etc. Rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks - defense, athleticism, and size. Josh Howard and Ndudi Ebi are other prospects interested in with same attributes but are not rated as high. Favorite is Dwayne Wade though - Marion and Finley were similiar prospects and both weren't rated high due to shooting.
Marion was my favorite college player and Finley was my 2nd favorite */F behind Stackhouse hehe.

PG's have been harder for me in drafts to rate prospects (thought Nash was mistake) with deep PG draft, best available works for me.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I saw Diaw only twice.

He is tall (with long arms), athletic and that's it.He was completely lost on the offensive end.
He is a bit more athletic and much less talented version of Andrei Kirilenko.

I wouldn't take him at #17.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by hcsilla

He is tall (with long arms), athletic and that's it.He was completely lost on the offensive end.
He is a bit more athletic and much less talented version of Andrei Kirilenko.

It's always the same with you hcsilla. EVERY single player that is available in the draft is lost on the offensive end. You are looking for perfection where none exists--and that's a poor way to try to run a sports team. Every player in the draft has some sort of flaw--what do you think we're doing: drafting Michael Jordan at #17??

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
It's always the same with you hcsilla. EVERY single player that is available in the draft is lost on the offensive end.
Again, you don't have any idea what you are talking about.

Show me ONLY ONE quote (except Diaw) where I said that a player (who is available in this year's draft) is lost on the offensive end!

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by hcsilla
Again, you don't have any idea what you are talking about.

Show me ONLY ONE quote (except Diaw) where I said that a player (who is available in this year's draft) is lost on the offensive end!

Sorry, I shouldn't have been so specific--but every player we discuss you find some flaw with (surprise, surprise--they're ALL flawed!) and say you won't take them with the #17.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
but every player we discuss you find some flaw with (surprise, surprise--they're ALL flawed!) and say you won't take them with the #17.
For example which player?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, here are 4 that you've point blank said that about:

Boris Diaw
Michael Pietrus
Anderson Varejao
Zarko Cabarkapa

You mentioned in an early thread that you would take Nick Collison. My question is: WHY?? :D

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, here are 4 that you've point blank said that about:

Boris Diaw
Michael Pietrus
Anderson Varejao
Zarko Cabarkapa

Your memory is wrong.

I said that I don't have any idea about Cabarkapa because I never have seen him play.

I indeed said that I don't like Varejao,Pietrus and Diaw.
So did we discuss only these 3 players?

cly2tw

Reaction score
hcsilla,

have you seen Pavlovic play? Is he really a mixture of Ginobili and Giricesk?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn