Doctor Strange

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok Brian. Thanks, I am overruled by the girls.... 3-D it is!

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't even think there was cuss word in it. Was there?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't even think there was cuss word in it. Was there?

Really? There were at least three or four.

The S-word (at least once, possibly twice), the A-word, and a partial F-word (but the character is cut off before finishing it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The S-word (at least once, possibly twice), the A-word, and a partial F-word (but the character is cut off before finishing it.

I admit I don't recall them either but I am sure you are right and they were there.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought this was a pretty good movie overall. I haven't seen any of the others so I have no comparison to make. Wife and granddaughter loved it, which is what matters.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Then I was wrong but never noticed it. I do now remember the cut off F word now.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
spoilers obviously:

Pros:
I liked it. Loved the vibe. The view from his home, to the architecture of all the monk temples were right up my alley. Love all that stuff. Great actors top to bottom.

Cons:
The plot in terms of the bad guys was confusing to me. Its like I really didnt understand who or what the main bad guy was (the universe guy, not Mads) or what his motives were.
Also, it felt rushed. Dr.Strange went from complete novice to master in only a scene or two. That really bothered me. He also fought and defeated another master (mads) in their first encounter using only rudimentary techniques. And then 2 scenes later hes now skilled enough to become the high master after Tilda. Everything felt super rushed. No time was spent on him growing or trial and error.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Really liked this
spoilers obviously:

Pros:
I liked it. Loved the vibe. The view from his home, to the architecture of all the monk temples were right up my alley. Love all that stuff. Great actors top to bottom.
Yeah, but Cumberbach's American accent was b-a-d. Really my only knock on the movie.

Cons:
The plot in terms of the bad guys was confusing to me. Its like I really didnt understand who or what the main bad guy was (the universe guy, not Mads) or what his motives were.
Did anyone else think Dormammu is Thanos?

Also, it felt rushed. Dr.Strange went from complete novice to master in only a scene or two. That really bothered me. He also fought and defeated another master (mads) in their first encounter using only rudimentary techniques. And then 2 scenes later hes now skilled enough to become the high master after Tilda. Everything felt super rushed. No time was spent on him growing or trial and error.
He was far from a master. He was just clever enough to have learned the time spell earlier and found an opportunity to use it.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He was far from a master. He was just clever enough to have learned the time spell earlier and found an opportunity to use it.

It was egregious to the most basic level. They didnt spend 1 second showing him learning how to "open a spell".

Scene 1, hes watching in awe as Tilda demonstrates magic. Scene 2, hes in the court yard training with little spark emanating from his spell attempt, but still no full fledged spell. (the next scene is Tilda dropping him off on Everest, and in desperation him learning how to do it).

But doesnt anybody else see the problem? Between scene 1 and scene 2 he apparently learned out how to shoot little sparks from his fingers. Id say thats an extremely important detail we'd like to see. Because I as a viewer have no understanding for how they generate spells, beyond simple hand movements. Which is to say, if its simply hand gestures, cant any human on earth just accidentally conjure a spell while practicing Tai-Chi?

Obviously not, because its not just hand gestures. Theres also a mental and soul aspect, and hello that should be covered in the movie.

Imagine star wars with luke never meeting Yoda and showing him learning the force. Everybody would be a lil upset.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bodha, they did a time lapse between scenes. Didn't you catch that?

Yeah, but somebody learning something for the 1st time should be covered in detail. Not in a time lapse.

After the movie explains the basics, then fine, they can do a montage.

Wasn't that covered when he was able to get off Everest?

No, it was prior because on everest he was able to start a spell, he just couldnt complete it yet.

My issue is day 1, hour 1. Tilda shows us her doing magic, but never explains what it is, or how to do it.

Say you and I were in the Dr.Strange universe in their little dojo right now. Do you know how a spell works, other than making weird hand movements? Because I sure dont. I dont know what to contrate on. I dont know where to draw the power. I dont know anything.

I really like the Star wars example. Yoda tells luke what the force is. He demonstrates it. Explains where it comes from. Explains what it is. What its used for. The training also shows Luke trying and failing and getting frustrated, which is natural. Point being, If I were in the Star Wars universe, I think I have a good idea of how to start my force training. I cant say the same for Dr. Strange.

Dr Strange doesnt do any of that. He meets Tilda. And in the next scene hes in a court yard making sparks shoot out his hands. HOLD UP!...kinda wouldve like to see the 1st time he was able to make sparkeys for the 1st time.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
saw this yesterday... the entire family loved it. I was the only one with any Dr Strnge history and had to answer very few questions... it was done very well.... would have preferred if they had taken it all the way to Strange becoming the sorcerer supreme but I guess time loops are only in the movies and four hours in the theater would have been too much, lol.

my daughter and ol'lady fell in love with the cloak, lol

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Was in danger of this being the first Marvel movie I didn't see in the theater...

Until Saturday, where I finally saw it in one of the last theaters to be showing it. I really liked it and I wasn't as upset about Tilda Swinton as others were. Maybe because she is such a strange and fascinating actress. They did a nice job setting up the villain in the inevitable sequel and I loved the first of the end credits scenes setting up Thor.